zipping files

Old January 10th 04, 06:54 PM
PCportinc

Default zipping files

I have noticed that the process of closing a cd-r using
Roxio is much faster if all the files are zipped.
Also, I dont get error messages such as file cant be read
on cd-rom as its too long as some funny characters, etc.
Also, I cant seem to burn read-only files off the hd.
I just use store in winzip.

is there a way to check for all read-only or unacceptable files?
Has anyone noticed problems with burning zipped files(besides the bother
of unzipping)?

Old January 12th 04, 04:12 AM
Anonymous Joe

"PCportinc" wrote in message
I have noticed that the process of closing a cd-r using
Roxio is much faster if all the files are zipped.
Also, I dont get error messages such as file cant be read
on cd-rom as its too long as some funny characters, etc.
Also, I cant seem to burn read-only files off the hd.
I just use store in winzip.

is there a way to check for all read-only or unacceptable files?
Has anyone noticed problems with burning zipped files(besides the bother
of unzipping)?

Shocker of the Year:

You really shouldn't use Roxio, its a POS. Use Nero, you'll be happier.
You still cant use your funny little yuan symbols, but read-only file seem
just fine.

If you have a real need to a) burn read-only files or b) have read-only
files, why dont you just remove that attribute before burning? What files
are you always burning that are read-only? Why are they read-only? If you
copy something from a CD, I believe the default attribute is read-only, but
they were only read-only on the CD because you cant have write access given
to a CD-ROM, which has no write access, so it keeps it as read-only as to
not modify the file.

Here's what I do when I burn something to CD-R that is important to me:

1) Put all the files I want to burn into 1 folder, generally this is only 1
or 2 files though.
2) Use a program called "FileCheckMD5" to make a MD5 hash check file for
these files
3) Burn the program (very small), the check file, and the files to the CD-R
4) On the CD-R disc, load the program, load the check file, and make sure it
reports that "every file appears ok"

What it is really doing is taking an algorithm, the MD5 algorithm, and
generating a 128-bit value for the file. In theory, only that 1 file can
have that value, and that any change in the file makes a new value, so they
won't match up when you compare it to the real value. This means if (let's
use a 4-bit value here...they dont actually exist, the smallest is a 32-bit
value), I have a file "file.exe" and it's value is 61D2, and when I burned
it onto the CD-R, it now tells me the value is 74C8, that means the disc is
rubbish as the file is now corrupt. If I were to try to use "file.exe" on
the CD, it surely shouldn't work.

If you decide to try that method, it is important to have your files you
want to burn in their own directory. The particular program won't check
just certain files, it will check every file, so if you want the value of
just 3 files in a directory with 37, you're going through 34 unnecessary
operations, and they're fairly quick, but 34 of them should take a few
minutes. Then when you go to check the files, it will say that 34 are
missing (unless you edit the check file [don't worry, even though it is an
MD5 file, it has human read-able text] by removing the entries for the 34
files you didn't want to burn).

Alas, I regret my time is done....I apologize for the shocker thing, it is
just AOL sucks a lot... and its users usually arent too good off
either...oops, I did it again.

Old January 12th 04, 07:51 PM
Tim Kroesen

When did Roxio produce POS (Point of Sale) s/w and what does spanking it
have to do with burning zipped files???

Let's be fair here 'joe'; OP HAS NO STATED PROBLEM WITH ROXIO S/W!

Sure 'closing a disc' is faster with let's say Two zipped files to
account for in the TOC, than Two Thousand separate ones... Any
mastering s/w will behave the same. I never read here that burning zips
or any other compressed DATA file was harder than any other DATA file.
However the less error correction a data MODE (audio,vcd,etc) may have
DOES make reading it exactly more sensitive to the burn quality and
readability as any errors are harder to resolve...

Tim K

Old January 13th 04, 09:37 PM
Anonymous Joe

I really can't understand that last sentence.

CD-DA, VCD, SVCD all use 2336 bytes for each 2352 byte sector.
Data CD (ISO) uses 2048 bytes for each 2352 byte sector.

I'm sure you know that, but I don't get what you are trying to say. Surely
burning data in a data mode is the best thing to do. I mean, you can use
that Mode2 Form2 ISO creating program, and fit 800MB on a 80min CD-R, but
thats not secure at all.

The question was about, mainly, the read-only files having troubles being
burned. His solution was to zip them up usign a store compression (not that
it would matter if he used the highest level of compression, though), just
to avoid that error message, and then asked if zipping them up & burning
them to CD is a good idea, or if theres something bad about doing that.

Clearly, data is data, it doesnt matter if you are burning ZIPs, AVI, TXT,
EXE, or anything else, its all data. The only different mode is Mode2
Form2, allowing another 100MB to be added to an 80min CD-R.

Old January 13th 04, 11:23 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

Sure 'closing a disc' is faster with let's say Two zipped files to
account for in the TOC, than Two Thousand separate ones...

Read up on what TOC is, friggin' idiot!

Instead of squealing and buffooning, why don't try to prove ANY of these
is a libel? Remember, Mikey is pitifully, desperately counting on you.

(Can't understand why you pipsqueaks unable to do so -- when Mikey's
supposed to have proof of misquotes!)

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing
Old January 14th 04, 09:26 PM
Tim Kroesen

What did all that crap have to do with the question, ****ferbrains???

Tim K