Nero 5.5.10.42 weirdness

Old July 25th 03, 10:17 PM
John Smith

Default Nero 5.5.10.42 weirdness

Problem
---------
Nero will work fine for a short while, ie. allow me to launch, burn a
few CD's, close the app, a few times and then on about the 4th time I
try to launch nero it will fail to start properly. It will display the
following message:

"The Nero executable file was modified." and then suggest that the
file may be infected with a virus and suggest that if it isn't virus
infected that I reinstall the software. The app would then fail to
start and kick me back to the desktop.

I use Norton AV with the latest AV signatures.
I scanned the system before Nero was installed and the AV software is
always running.

Background Info
-----------------
I just installed a new CD-RW drive in my machine. It is an 'old stock'
24-10-40 Benq drive that was factory sealed and came with Nero 5.5.8.2

Here's my h/w & s/w config:
- Win98 SE w/all latest MS patches
- Celeron 1000
- 512Mb Ram
- Promise Raid controller - RAID 1 - 80 Gb
- Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller & Pioneer scsi CDR drive
- Benq 24x10x40 CD-RW connected as master to secondary IDE, DMA
enabled

I have the most recent firmware for all my hardware and all the latest
drivers, except for the Nero Aspi driver. I even have the most recent
Adaptec ASPI driver installed.

When the problem mentioned above began, I tried reinstalling the
software several times, carefully cleaning out all traces of Nero each
time using the Nero cleanup tool which can be downloaded from the
ahead.de site. I even tried setting the read-only attribute on the
Nero executable but I'd still get the "executable file was modified"
message after a few uses of Nero.

Then I found an upgrade file on the Nero web site, for 5.5.10.42. I
downloaded that and 'patched' the Nero app to that version.

I still an getting the "executable file was modified" message.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Nero in this case and
what to do about it?

TIA