RAID 1 newbie question - non identical disks

Old July 28th 04, 04:52 PM
Matt Fletcher

Default RAID 1 newbie question - non identical disks

Hi,

I have a 120GB IBM Deskstar and after being concerned that it might bite the
dust in the future (heard some dodgy stories about deathstars)
I want to set up a RAID 1 array.

I bought a Seagate 120GB drive since I didn;t want another IBM.

My question is would I be able to use this Seagate disk to mirror the IBM as
the BIOS reports the IBM size as 117XXX in size and the Seagate 114XXX in
size.

Is there any way theyre gonna work together?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Old July 28th 04, 05:29 PM
the gnome

Probably, the raid will be set up dependant on the smaller of the drives.

But why not ghost your data etc across and use the older drive for
non-essential stuff, like games apps etc.

the_gnome

"Matt Fletcher" wrote in
message ...

Old July 28th 04, 05:29 PM
Thomas Wendell

IIRC it will build the RAID array using the smallest disk in the setup....
Any extra space on the bigger disk is just lost....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Matt Fletcher" kirjoitti
viestissä ...

Old July 28th 04, 05:52 PM
Matt Fletcher

"Thomas Wendell" wrote in
:

IIRC it will build the RAID array using the smallest disk in the
setup.... Any extra space on the bigger disk is just lost....

Thanks for the reply

That would be superb if it did. Is this a standard feature on all raid
cards?
Old July 28th 04, 11:27 PM
the gnome

I believe it is. They both need to be formatted the same, not able to have
one as FAT and the other as NTFS

the_gnome

"Matt Fletcher" wrote in
message 52.50...
"Thomas Wendell" wrote in
:

Old July 29th 04, 12:31 PM
Matt Fletcher

Thanks for the suggestion.

Think is im lazy when it comes to back up. Id love to have all my data
instantly copied without thinking about it.

Old August 10th 04, 09:42 PM
Matt Fletcher

At the moment I have all my data on the fractionally larger drive.
Would you recommend I shrink the last partition a little to match the other
drive?
And if so would they have to be exactly the same size down to the
kilobyte/byte.

Or do I just let the raid card take car of it and follow its manual (when I
get one)

"Toshi1873" wrote in message
In article Xns9534B5D32CE3DfletchermattREMOVETH@
217.32.252.50,
says...
"Thomas Wendell" wrote in
:

IIRC it will build the RAID array using the smallest disk in the
setup.... Any extra space on the bigger disk is just lost....

Thanks for the reply

That would be superb if it did. Is this a standard feature on all raid
cards?

Yes, because the RAID controller will present the
mirrored drive pair to the operating system as a single-
disk. (Windows won't even see the two disks as separate
units.)

If you were talking about Linux Software RAID, it's
possible to do some more advanced things, like using the
extra space on the larger drive for a scratch partition.

Newbie Question re hardware vs software RAID Gilgamesh General 44 November 22nd 04 11:52 PM
Raid question S.Boardman General 10 November 18th 04 06:08 PM
Raid 0 with 3 Hard Disks? Thomas Krause General 2 October 22nd 04 12:20 AM
Single Hard Drive Raid Setup Question Chris Homebuilt PC's 9 July 30th 04 09:00 PM
Abit RAID question John General 2 January 1st 04 05:19 PM