LCD Displays

Old September 3rd 03, 10:10 PM
Bishoop

Default LCD Displays

I couldn't find a display/monitor group so I'll try here.

I have a Samsung 172N LCD display. So far I'm not real pleased with it.
It's fine for everything except black on white text.

If it's displaying black on white text and move the window horizontally the
test will appear to become lighter and darker in waves as it's moved across
the screen. I don't get the same affect while scrolling or moving the text
vertically.

The end result is that text will be either light or dark depend on where it
falls along the horizontal axis. It's almost like the difference between
normal and bolded text in MS Word. Very annoying.

In MS Word if I option it for white text on blue background and look
horizontally along the text display it goes from pure white to bluish in
waves with a period of about 1.75 inches.

I'm using the native resolution of 1280 X 1024. Any text smoothing effects
like ClearType don't seem to make any difference.

Is this something inherent in the display, improperly setup or something
else.

I've played around with display settings and different resolutions. Lower
resolutions have a set of problem all their own.

I'm using a Matrox G400 graphics card which has excellent text quality on
any CRT monitor I've tried with it.

Any suggestions or is this just welcome to LCD displays?

Old September 4th 03, 01:01 AM
Jim Stevenson

In article , says...
[...]

Have you checked on the windows update site for a driver? The reason I
ask is I have an NEC Multisync LCD1830 and whilst doing a routine update
of XP there was a driver update along with all the other bits and pieces
which turned out to be for my particular monitor. I thought it unusual
as it is about the only time I've seem Windows update showing a driver.
Once installed my 'Standard VGA' monitor was now showing the correct
model and after installing ClearType it's superb.
I don't recall ever having to install a driver with any of my previous
CRT monitors so it may be worth checking out Windows Update or the
Samsung site.

Jim
--
------------------------
Seti@home team - SetiUK
Old September 4th 03, 01:21 AM
tomcas

Bishoop wrote:

[...]

The fix is very simple. You just need to adjust the "image lock". I
suggest you dl the nokia tester and display the fine text test before
performing the adjustment.
ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/Nokia.zip
Start by adjusting the the coarse first until you see the fuzzy lines
change multiples and then direction. Then fine tune as required. By the
way the 172N kicks ass. After borrowing a 172 I got a 192N for Cad which
has the same native res but slightly larger pixel for those older
eyes. I noticed the 192 does a much better job of auto setting the image
lock than the 172 but manually setting it still yields the sharpest
image of all the LCDs I tested.

Old September 4th 03, 12:35 PM
Bishoop

"tomcas" wrote in message
| Bishoop wrote:
|
| I couldn't find a display/monitor group so I'll try here.
|
| I have a Samsung 172N LCD display. So far I'm not real pleased with it.
| It's fine for everything except black on white text.
|
| If it's displaying black on white text and move the window horizontally
the
| test will appear to become lighter and darker in waves as it's moved
across
| the screen. I don't get the same affect while scrolling or moving the
text
| vertically.
|
| The end result is that text will be either light or dark depend on where
it
| falls along the horizontal axis. It's almost like the difference
between
| normal and bolded text in MS Word. Very annoying.
|
| In MS Word if I option it for white text on blue background and look
| horizontally along the text display it goes from pure white to bluish in
| waves with a period of about 1.75 inches.
|
| I'm using the native resolution of 1280 X 1024. Any text smoothing
effects
| like ClearType don't seem to make any difference.
|
| Is this something inherent in the display, improperly setup or something
| else.
|
| I've played around with display settings and different resolutions.
Lower
| resolutions have a set of problem all their own.
|
| I'm using a Matrox G400 graphics card which has excellent text quality
on
| any CRT monitor I've tried with it.
|
| Any suggestions or is this just welcome to LCD displays?
|

| The fix is very simple. You just need to adjust the "image lock". I
| suggest you dl the nokia tester and display the fine text test before
| performing the adjustment.
| ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/Nokia.zip
| Start by adjusting the the coarse first until you see the fuzzy lines
| change multiples and then direction. Then fine tune as required. By the
| way the 172N kicks ass. After borrowing a 172 I got a 192N for Cad which
| has the same native res but slightly larger pixel for those older
| eyes. I noticed the 192 does a much better job of auto setting the image
| lock than the 172 but manually setting it still yields the sharpest
| image of all the LCDs I tested.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I had played with the image lock previous to my posting except with a much
smaller area of text that the Nokia utility provides. Under these
conditions I could seen what was happening during adjustment.

I already had the Nokia program but never used it with the new Samsung. As
soon as I filled the whole screen with the Nokia text pattern and started
fooling with the image lock, viola, super clean black on white text, As a
further test he blue on white is crystal clear also.

Now I'm a happy camper....

Old September 5th 03, 02:01 AM
tomcas

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I had played with the image lock previous to my posting except with
a much smaller area of text that the Nokia utility provides. Under
these conditions I could seen what was happening during adjustment.

I already had the Nokia program but never used it with the new
Samsung. As soon as I filled the whole screen with the Nokia text
pattern and started fooling with the image lock, viola, super clean
black on white text, As a further test he blue on white is
crystal clear also.

Now I'm a happy camper....

Now here's the kicker. When I first had this problem I emailed Samsung's
tech support requesting help. The guy who responded several days later
suggested I do things like update my video driver. I thanked him for his
quick response, told him that wasn't the problem but I had found it just
the same, and suggested they add it to their FAQs which 2 months later
they have yet to do. Thankfully, Samsung does a much better job
designing and building LCDs then they do supporting them. Kind of
reminds me of Asus.