New Vid card

Old August 28th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rod[_5_]

Default New Vid card

Hi all. My girlfriend's ATI card just crapped out on her, and I'm trying to
narrow down a good replacement for it. She had an X1800 pro 256MB PCI-e
that she was happy with, and wants something that is equal or greater to
that. She's a recreational gamer, into Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW 2 and
such. I did talk her into going NVidia this time around, and offered to
help her with the cost. Not knowing what is what nowadays, I thought asking
here may result in some interesting answers. Her rig is a pretty standard
P4 3Ghz with some manner of Asus mainboard.

Cheers,
Rod

Old August 29th 07, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Rod wrote:
Hi all. My girlfriend's ATI card just crapped out on her, and I'm trying to
narrow down a good replacement for it. She had an X1800 pro 256MB PCI-e
that she was happy with, and wants something that is equal or greater to
that. She's a recreational gamer, into Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW 2 and
such. I did talk her into going NVidia this time around, and offered to
help her with the cost. Not knowing what is what nowadays, I thought asking
here may result in some interesting answers. Her rig is a pretty standard
P4 3Ghz with some manner of Asus mainboard.

Cheers,
Rod

Please follow this link if you would like some cautions regarding
Rainbow Six Vegas and video cards. At the time of this article, somewhat
dated at Dec-06, difficulties existed such as: no antialiasing (!).
Hopefully many months later patches and revisions have taken care of the
major complaints.

btw, a gamer gf? .golf clap

Old August 29th 07, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

Please follow this link if you would like some cautions regarding

Yes that is a very helpful link indeed :=)

Old August 29th 07, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
WasDrogan

Invisible LOLlink!

Old August 29th 07, 01:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default New Vid card (Now with link goodness)

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

Please follow this link if you would like some cautions regarding
Rainbow Six Vegas and video cards. At the time of this article, somewhat
dated at Dec-06, difficulties existed such as: no antialiasing (!).
Hopefully many months later patches and revisions have taken care of the
major complaints.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?o...tid=279&page=1

whoopsy.

Old August 29th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Folk

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:09:15 -0400, "Rod"
wrote:

Hi all. My girlfriend's ATI card just crapped out on her, and I'm trying to
narrow down a good replacement for it. She had an X1800 pro 256MB PCI-e
that she was happy with, and wants something that is equal or greater to
that. She's a recreational gamer, into Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW 2 and
such. I did talk her into going NVidia this time around, and offered to
help her with the cost. Not knowing what is what nowadays, I thought asking
here may result in some interesting answers. Her rig is a pretty standard
P4 3Ghz with some manner of Asus mainboard.

Better answer the 'AGP or PCIe' slot question first.
Old August 30th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

I think this part says it: "She had an X1800 pro 256MB PCI-e"...

As far as a replacement goes, a Geforce 7950GT 512 MB would be a good one.
Less than $250 at Newegg. Don't bother with the 8600GT/GTS cards - they are
slower. Too slow, in fact, for any game that makes good use of DX10
capabilities.

Old August 30th 07, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Fish

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:09:15 -0400, Rod wrote:

Hi all. My girlfriend's ATI card just crapped out on her, and I'm trying to
narrow down a good replacement for it. She had an X1800 pro 256MB PCI-e
that she was happy with, and wants something that is equal or greater to
that. She's a recreational gamer, into Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW 2 and
such. I did talk her into going NVidia this time around, and offered to
help her with the cost. Not knowing what is what nowadays, I thought asking
here may result in some interesting answers. Her rig is a pretty standard
P4 3Ghz with some manner of Asus mainboard.

Cheers,
Rod

If it is an X1800pro then it can't be too old and should still be under
warranty. Contact ATI and get an RMA. Why pay for a new card when you
don't have to if it is under warranty? The warranty should be good for 3
years, I think.
Old August 31st 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rod[_5_]

"Fish" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks guys, all helpful. The 'puter is about a year and a half old, I
think. I'll get on that RMA suggestion and see where it goes. Yeah, a
gamer girlfriend....she loves guns, and I love her for it. : )

Cheers,
Rod