WOL Security

Old July 2nd 05, 06:14 AM
Notan

Default WOL Security

I just activated my Workstation 360's Wake On LAN feature,
and found that I'm no longer prompted for a System Password
upon bootup.

Is this normal? Any ways around it?

Thanks!

Notan
Old July 2nd 05, 12:53 PM
William P. N. Smith

Notan wrote:
I just activated my Workstation 360's Wake On LAN feature,
and found that I'm no longer prompted for a System Password
upon bootup.

You mean a BIOS password? You would want WOL and Bios passwords to be
mutually exclusive so the system would actually boot, but there's no
need for the system to log a user in automatically.
Old July 2nd 05, 04:16 PM
Notan

William, P., N., Smith wrote:

Notan wrote:
I just activated my Workstation 360's Wake On LAN feature,
and found that I'm no longer prompted for a System Password
upon bootup.

You mean a BIOS password? You would want WOL and Bios passwords to be
mutually exclusive so the system would actually boot, but there's no
need for the system to log a user in automatically.

Nope, not the BIOS password, the "System Password."

Upon booting into the Windows GUI, I'm still asked to logon,
but the initial boot sequence no longer asks for a password.

Notan
Old July 2nd 05, 11:02 PM
William P. N. Smith

Notan wrote:
Nope, not the BIOS password, the "System Password."

Upon booting into the Windows GUI, I'm still asked to logon,
but the initial boot sequence no longer asks for a password.

Dunno, I'm having a hard time parsing this answer. What initial boot
sequence used to ask for a password when? What OS, or is this still
during BIOS initialization?

Old July 2nd 05, 11:56 PM
Notan

William, P., N., Smith wrote:

Notan wrote:
Nope, not the BIOS password, the "System Password."

Upon booting into the Windows GUI, I'm still asked to logon,
but the initial boot sequence no longer asks for a password.

Dunno, I'm having a hard time parsing this answer. What initial boot
sequence used to ask for a password when? What OS, or is this still
during BIOS initialization?

Running Windows XP Pro... In the BIOS, I've set both a System Password and
a Setup (BIOS) Password. When I first turn the system on, before anything
even initializes, the system asks me for a Password, or, rather, it used to.

Notan
Old July 3rd 05, 12:58 AM
Shel

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:56:53 -0600, Notan wrote:

William, P., N., Smith wrote:

Notan wrote:
Nope, not the BIOS password, the "System Password."

Upon booting into the Windows GUI, I'm still asked to logon,
but the initial boot sequence no longer asks for a password.

Dunno, I'm having a hard time parsing this answer. What initial boot
sequence used to ask for a password when? What OS, or is this still
during BIOS initialization?

Running Windows XP Pro... In the BIOS, I've set both a System Password and
a Setup (BIOS) Password. When I first turn the system on, before anything
even initializes, the system asks me for a Password, or, rather, it used to.

Notan

There is password information that might help you at:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1043338
Old July 3rd 05, 01:36 AM
William P. N. Smith

Notan wrote:
Running Windows XP Pro... In the BIOS, I've set both a System Password and
a Setup (BIOS) Password. When I first turn the system on, before anything
even initializes, the system asks me for a Password, or, rather, it used to.

Yes, and now that you are doing WOL, you might be on the other side of
the planet when the power comes up, and it's not going to ask for any
BIOS-level passwords typed into the console keyboard before it'll
boot.

Old July 3rd 05, 05:12 AM
Notan

William, P., N., Smith wrote:

Notan wrote:
Running Windows XP Pro... In the BIOS, I've set both a System Password and
a Setup (BIOS) Password. When I first turn the system on, before anything
even initializes, the system asks me for a Password, or, rather, it used to.

Yes, and now that you are doing WOL, you might be on the other side of
the planet when the power comes up, and it's not going to ask for any
BIOS-level passwords typed into the console keyboard before it'll
boot.

Is there any way to do the equivalent of asking for a BIOS-level password?

Notan
Old July 3rd 05, 02:30 PM
William P. N. Smith

Notan wrote:
Is there any way to do the equivalent of asking for a BIOS-level password?

Over the LAN?

Maybe we should back up a bit and ask what you want WOL for? under
most circumstances (power up the machine when you are not near it, but
can send it the magic packet over the LAN) you don't _want_ WOL and
Bios-level passwords working together.

They are mutually exclusive, one says you aren't near the machine, the
other insists that you are. Why would you from across the
{room,house,planet} want to power up your machine using WOL and then
travel across the {room,house,planet} to type in the BIOS-level
startup password?????

Old July 3rd 05, 03:15 PM
Notan

William, P., N., Smith wrote:

Notan wrote:
Is there any way to do the equivalent of asking for a BIOS-level password?

Over the LAN?

Maybe we should back up a bit and ask what you want WOL for? under
most circumstances (power up the machine when you are not near it, but
can send it the magic packet over the LAN) you don't _want_ WOL and
Bios-level passwords working together.

They are mutually exclusive, one says you aren't near the machine, the
other insists that you are. Why would you from across the
{room,house,planet} want to power up your machine using WOL and then
travel across the {room,house,planet} to type in the BIOS-level
startup password?????

In an effort to cool down my home office, I've moved my CPU to a
different part of the house. I'm using an appliance (an Avocent
DDC2050) that gives me KVM, USB ports, serial ports, and PCI slots,
over a CAT5 connection. I have the option to remotely turn on/off
the CPU via the Avocent. To do this, however, I've got to have WOL
enabled.

I'm trying to use the remote function *and* have BIOS-level security.

Am I asking for something that isn't possible?

Notan