A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Video Cards » Nvidia Videocards
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

My monitor went black in Linux/Debian (X) and text mode earlier today...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 22nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
external usenet poster

Default My monitor went black in Linux/Debian (X) and text mode earlier today...

About over an hour ago, I was watching a long video (FLV file; not fullscreen) for about 30 minutes in GMPlayer on
my Linux/Debian box (Linux foobar 2.6.14-2-k7 #1 Wed Dec 28 19:14:46 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux) while my
gaming/Windows box was doing SpinRite stuff (so far no errors, but I will resume overnight since it has 8 hours to
go). Then, all the sudden my monitor's picture went black. Monitor said the video signal was still there (not
blinking). Audio from my cheap Sony speakers stopped too. I thought my computer crashed hard, but it wasn't since
I could still ssh into my box from another computer. I even tried ctrl-alt-backsapce to get out of X, but it
didn't work(?). I didn't see any text console (I set to boot to text mode so I have to type startx command). Also,
ps didn't show X and KDE running anymore so either I killed it or it died by itself.

My Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates) machine was still showing video and my desktop on the screen since it was
hooked up to an old 4-ports (since the end of 2001) OmniCube KVM switch (VGA and PS/2 ports) with the Linux box. I
looked, checked, and fiddled with the cables for KVM switch and connections to the Linux box. I rebooted the box
via SSH (love text modes!), HDD light was stuck/hung forever (not doing anything like loading or stopping), no
beeps, nothing on screen, etc. No go.

I decided to shut down (via SSH) the machine and power off for a few minutes (shut off power supply unit too).
Again, I looked around for any weirdness like moved my case, unplug, replug, etc. Then, I powered back on, heard a
beep (normal one), saw the bootup on screen, hit a key to stop at GRUB loader before loading Debian, ... and la la
it works again!

Any ideas on what the heck happened or had this problem before? Dang it, I lost my 142 days of uptime. Still did
not beat my 227 days from a few years ago! I hope this weirdness doesn't happen again.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Be thine enemy an ant, see in him an elephant." --Turkish Proverb
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )