Erratic Display Issues

Old August 21st 03, 10:36 PM
JAD

Default Erratic Display Issues

it could be your PSU can't pull off a cold boot
got a spare? cause if ya don't then you'll need..........you got it//....a
3.5 Multimeter

"Mr_Huff" wrote in message
om...
I have a Windows 98SE PIII 733MHz (384 MB RAM) machine that worked
fine up until recently. When I shut it down and try to fire it up
again, I get no display. It gets power but I do not get the first
beep. I then have to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn
it off. I then try again to fire it up. I repeat this process until it
eventually works.

Instead of shutting down at the end of the day, I simply restart the
machine and I don't have a problem. While this may be a short term
fix, I would like to correct the issue.

I have replaced the video card with a brand new one and that didn't
work. I replaced the RAM with a brand new stick and that didn't work
either.

Has anyone encountered this issue? What else can I try or look for?

Old August 22nd 03, 03:49 PM
Mr_Huff

Voltage looks good. I turned off all the power saving features and
that didn't help.

This morning when I finally got it to boot, all desktop shortcuts were
black plus the "network graphic" on the Microsoft Networking pop-up
box (the box where you log into a domain) and start button. I then
went back to the original graphics card which fixed this glitch. As I
was installing the old card I was wondering if the AGP slot could be
damaged or not functioning properly. Is this a possibility?

"James" wrote in message ...
"Mr_Huff" wrote in message
om...
I have a Windows 98SE PIII 733MHz (384 MB RAM) machine that worked
fine up until recently. When I shut it down and try to fire it up
again, I get no display. It gets power but I do not get the first
beep. I then have to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn
it off. I then try again to fire it up. I repeat this process until it
eventually works.

Instead of shutting down at the end of the day, I simply restart the
machine and I don't have a problem. While this may be a short term
fix, I would like to correct the issue.

I have replaced the video card with a brand new one and that didn't
work. I replaced the RAM with a brand new stick and that didn't work
either.

Has anyone encountered this issue? What else can I try or look for?

This could be the power saving feature of the motherboard - try turning off
all power saving features in the bios and see if that stops it from
happening.
Your power button may have more than one push factor
Do you have a keyboard hotkeys startup function?