Configuring new 4700

Old December 13th 04, 04:20 AM
David M

Default Configuring new 4700

I just got a new 4700, and am looking for advice on setting it up (been
using a Optiplex GX400 which has served me very well, Win2k). I see
Dell puts lots of "free" software on it, most of which I don't want or
need, so I was thinking of doing a clean install. Some questions...

1. Any issues/advice on doing a reformat and clean install?

2. I'm new to XP... for a firewall, is the built in XP firewall good?
Or should I use Sygate PF (what I used w/ my GX400)? I wonder if the
XP one would be more seamless.

3. For antivirus, I have been using Norton but I have heard complaints
about the new version. And good reviews for both AVG and Avast (which
are free). So I'm thinking of one of the latter two - any opinions?

4. I see they dropped the old "Imaging" picture viewer -- what is a
good free, fast-loading replacement?

5. I would rather not buy Office again -- will Office 2000 work ok w/
XP?

6. I've kindof like the "XP style" appearance, but have heard it can be
slower than the "Classic style" -- is it a big difference? I see there
are choices in both the Display control panel and the start menu.

7. I got the package w/ the Dell 922 all-in-one... is the scanner
decent or should I sell it and keep my (~slow) Epson 1240? I use a
laserprinter mostly, but color once in a while would be nice.

Any tips appreciated! After I'm done w/ this one I have 2 more 4700s
to do -- for my parents -- so I'd like to get it right the first time.
Thanks,
David

Old December 13th 04, 05:17 AM
Tom Scales

See below
"David M" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just got a new 4700, and am looking for advice on setting it up (been
using a Optiplex GX400 which has served me very well, Win2k). I see
Dell puts lots of "free" software on it, most of which I don't want or
need, so I was thinking of doing a clean install. Some questions...

1. Any issues/advice on doing a reformat and clean install?

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I'd just uninstall what I didn't want, but
your call.

2. I'm new to XP... for a firewall, is the built in XP firewall good?
Or should I use Sygate PF (what I used w/ my GX400)? I wonder if the
XP one would be more seamless.

Well, my opinion says it's not. Inbound only. No outbound. BIG weakness.

3. For antivirus, I have been using Norton but I have heard complaints
about the new version. And good reviews for both AVG and Avast (which
are free). So I'm thinking of one of the latter two - any opinions?

I like Norton and it works find.

4. I see they dropped the old "Imaging" picture viewer -- what is a
good free, fast-loading replacement?

Not sure what you mean. XP comes with a nice image viewer.

5. I would rather not buy Office again -- will Office 2000 work ok w/
XP?

Sure. Even 97 works.

6. I've kindof like the "XP style" appearance, but have heard it can be
slower than the "Classic style" -- is it a big difference? I see there
are choices in both the Display control panel and the start menu.

On a 4700, you won't see any difference.

7. I got the package w/ the Dell 922 all-in-one... is the scanner
decent or should I sell it and keep my (~slow) Epson 1240? I use a
laserprinter mostly, but color once in a while would be nice.

It's not a printer, it's a razor. The cartridges (blades) will kill you.

Old December 13th 04, 08:40 AM
Colin Wilson

4. I see they dropped the old "Imaging" picture viewer -- what is a
good free, fast-loading replacement?

Irfanview

Old December 13th 04, 10:24 AM
Hank Arnold

COmments in-line....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"David M" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just got a new 4700, and am looking for advice on setting it up (been
using a Optiplex GX400 which has served me very well, Win2k). I see
Dell puts lots of "free" software on it, most of which I don't want or
need, so I was thinking of doing a clean install. Some questions...

1. Any issues/advice on doing a reformat and clean install?

None. A lot of us do that as soon as we get the machines. The problem will
be if you were not shipped an XP CD... Dell is not starting to ship systems
with a "Restore" partition and not shipping the CD's with the system. If you
got hte CD with the system, just boot from the CD, format and install....

2. I'm new to XP... for a firewall, is the built in XP firewall good?
Or should I use Sygate PF (what I used w/ my GX400)? I wonder if the
XP one would be more seamless.

It's "better than nothing". However, it doesn't stop outgoing. I also use
Sygate and it works just great on XP.

3. For antivirus, I have been using Norton but I have heard complaints
about the new version. And good reviews for both AVG and Avast (which
are free). So I'm thinking of one of the latter two - any opinions?

A lot of people do not like it. A lot like/love it. It's accused of being
"bloatware" and causing problems on systems. They also require activation.
THis ****es people off big time. I just got NAV 2005 (replacing NAV 2003)
and I like it. No problems at all. If you choose to install it, be sure to
uninstall any AV software on teh system first. Then install NAV. I'd also
back up my system and ceate a Restore Point, but I'm a bit careful..... ;-)

4. I see they dropped the old "Imaging" picture viewer -- what is a
good free, fast-loading replacement?

5. I would rather not buy Office again -- will Office 2000 work ok w/
XP?

I use it on my system. Works like a champ....

6. I've kindof like the "XP style" appearance, but have heard it can be
slower than the "Classic style" -- is it a big difference? I see there
are choices in both the Display control panel and the start menu.

I like the interface. Tehre are things you can do to speed things up. Stop
effects like fading in of menues and other "effects". There are ozens of
wites on the internet that have tips on speeding up XP. Frankly, though, on
a 4700, I'd not expect it to be much of a problem...

7. I got the package w/ the Dell 922 all-in-one... is the scanner
decent or should I sell it and keep my (~slow) Epson 1240? I use a
laserprinter mostly, but color once in a while would be nice.

I'm not a big fan of all-in-ones. They usually are a combination of mediocre
components. Dell's printers are re-badged, but the cartridges are
proprietary, and *expensive*....

Old December 13th 04, 11:45 AM
Sparky

Tom Scales wrote:

snip

7. I got the package w/ the Dell 922 all-in-one... is the scanner
decent or should I sell it and keep my (~slow) Epson 1240? I use a
laserprinter mostly, but color once in a while would be nice.

It's not a printer, it's a razor. The cartridges (blades) will kill you.

Heh, the "Gillette Philosophy".
Old December 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Tom Almy

David M wrote:

1. Any issues/advice on doing a reformat and clean install?

Don't bother. Just uninstall anything you don't want.

2. I'm new to XP... for a firewall, is the built in XP firewall good?
Or should I use Sygate PF (what I used w/ my GX400)? I wonder if the
XP one would be more seamless.

I use the XP one. Get a spyware program and the absence of outbound
firewall won't be a problem. Frankly I got tired of configuring a
third-party firewall to pass outward communication from various programs
that need it on the (5) systems we've got.

3. For antivirus, I have been using Norton but I have heard complaints
about the new version. And good reviews for both AVG and Avast (which
are free). So I'm thinking of one of the latter two - any opinions?

We've switched to Avast and it works.

4. I see they dropped the old "Imaging" picture viewer -- what is a
good free, fast-loading replacement?

Built into XP Explorer-- just set view to Filmstrip. If that choice
doesn't show, do "Customize this Folder" under View, and pick Photo Album.

5. I would rather not buy Office again -- will Office 2000 work ok w/
XP?

Yes

6. I've kindof like the "XP style" appearance, but have heard it can be
slower than the "Classic style" -- is it a big difference? I see there
are choices in both the Display control panel and the start menu.

I use classic. Speed isn't a problem. The XP style is just "eye candy"
that wastes pixels (it takes more space) and offers no functional advantage.

7. I got the package w/ the Dell 922 all-in-one... is the scanner
decent or should I sell it and keep my (~slow) Epson 1240? I use a
laserprinter mostly, but color once in a while would be nice.

Barely decent. The Dell/Lexmarks have the worst ink costs. Also quality
is shoddy, but
that seems to be the case in recent years for all consumer printers.

Old December 13th 04, 04:28 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"David M" wrote:

I just got a new 4700, and am looking for advice on setting it up (been
using a Optiplex GX400 which has served me very well, Win2k). I see
Dell puts lots of "free" software on it, most of which I don't want or
need, so I was thinking of doing a clean install. Some questions...

1. Any issues/advice on doing a reformat and clean install?

As with others, I've always found removal of unwanted stuff
quicker than doing a clean install, but .... I do use Partition
Magic to repartition into several drives vice the "it's all C:"
as shipped.

2. I'm new to XP... for a firewall, is the built in XP firewall good?
Or should I use Sygate PF (what I used w/ my GX400)? I wonder if the
XP one would be more seamless.

As with the others responding so far; the XP firewall is incoming
only. Use what you're comfortable with, and tell the SP2
Security Center "I'd rather do it myself" if it gives you any
trouble over it. ZA is running "selflessly" on my machines, you
should have no trouble with Sygate.

3. For antivirus, I have been using Norton but I have heard complaints
about the new version. And good reviews for both AVG and Avast (which
are free). So I'm thinking of one of the latter two - any opinions?

I've never had any trouble with Norton's AV [currently using the
2001 or 2002 version. Wouldn't touch their firewall or NIS
package with your 10-foot pole.

5. I would rather not buy Office again -- will Office 2000 work ok w/
XP?

No problems with 2000 vs XP.

6. I've kindof like the "XP style" appearance, but have heard it can be
slower than the "Classic style" -- is it a big difference? I see there
are choices in both the Display control panel and the start menu.

I've seen no performance hit on any of my machines, and, once I
tried it out and got used to it, like the new style setup. In
the control panel you can switch between the old/new with a
click, and I've found for most tweaking the "new style" is
quicker and easier - but sometimes the "old style" is the better
choice when I'm checking a *lot* of items; most all of the other
"new style" items can be tweaked to get rid of what you don't
like/keep what you find works better. Just like with "Bob" and
that damned Office paper clip, you /can/ get rid of things you
don't like.
--
OJ III

Old December 14th 04, 04:38 PM
David M

Thanks very much, everyone, for the advice! It's strange about
printers... I have an HP 4MV (about 10 years old) and it works great,
while the newer printers often don't even make it thru the warranty. I
guess Moore's law for printers has a negative exponent.
Thanks again, David

ps. for the group's reference, all 3 of my 4700s came with the XP
reinstall CD.