Can't uninstall Ati Drivers to install new card

Old October 22nd 06, 08:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Roger Wilkerson

Default Can't uninstall Ati Drivers to install new card

I'm in the process of updating my AIW8500 card to a XT850.
However, I cannot complete the uninstall of the 8500 drivers.

Follow the instructions, run the utility to remove all ATI software, the
system reboots and hangs. Will not boot back up under any circumstances.

How do I remove the current ATI software/drivers so that I can remove
the 8500 and install the XT850 card and it's drivers?

The system will not boot up after uninstalling the current drivers and
ati software. It just hangs with black screen. Ultimately have to do a
power shut down. Then restore drive image to be able to boot back up.

Help..
Old October 22nd 06, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB

"Roger Wilkerson" wrote in message
I'm in the process of updating my AIW8500 card to a XT850.
However, I cannot complete the uninstall of the 8500 drivers.

Follow the instructions, run the utility to remove all ATI software,
the system reboots and hangs. Will not boot back up under any
circumstances.

How do I remove the current ATI software/drivers so that I can remove
the 8500 and install the XT850 card and it's drivers?

The system will not boot up after uninstalling the current drivers and
ati software. It just hangs with black screen. Ultimately have to do
a power shut down. Then restore drive image to be able to boot back
up.

Help..

Have you tried to just uninstall the "ATI display driver" from
Add/Remove programs? Maybe the Software Uninstall Utility is deleting
something it shouldn't.

Old October 22nd 06, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
NeonJesus

boot into safe mode - F8 key after bios post and before windows
screen
i use DriverCleanerPro to clean out old ati stuff -
http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.php

Old October 22nd 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Borderline Psycho

wrote:

I'm in the process of updating my AIW8500 card to a XT850.
However, I cannot complete the uninstall of the 8500 drivers.

Follow the instructions, run the utility to remove all ATI software, the
system reboots and hangs. Will not boot back up under any circumstances.

How do I remove the current ATI software/drivers so that I can remove
the 8500 and install the XT850 card and it's drivers?

The system will not boot up after uninstalling the current drivers and
ati software. It just hangs with black screen. Ultimately have to do a
power shut down. Then restore drive image to be able to boot back up.

Help..

http://www.ati.com/install/

This site might help. Choose your current card at the bottom. It
should give you detailed manual uninstall instructions, including the
locations of items in the registry. If Driver Cleaner Pro doesn't
work, it's probable there is some residue in the registry that's not
coming out.
Old October 22nd 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Roger Wilkerson

On first attempt;just uninstalled the ATI Display driver. The system
would hang. Had to restore drive image from backup(thank goodness for
True Image). then went in and ran the remove all ati software
application. Same problem. Had to restore drive again.

"Roger Wilkerson" wrote in ...

Old October 22nd 06, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Roger Wilkerson

Instructions for DriverCleaner Pro say to run the ati unistall utility
and reboot, then run DriveCleaner Pro. The problem is that upon
reboot, the system hangs and I can't do anything other than a power
off.

Old October 22nd 06, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
NeonJesus

when you reboot after add/remove ati stuff, you don't boot into
windows proper. reboot and right after the computer bios post ...
hit the F8 key (repeatedly if necessary) to bringup a winboot menu and
choose Safe Mode which will boot you into a 640x480 windows with
minimal drivers (stock vga drivers in the case of graphics)
your system is hangin on trying to boot into windows without a
specific gfx driver - you want to use a safe mode windows that will
automatically use the stock vga driver.

Old October 22nd 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Roger Wilkerson

I can't get into safe mode either. System hangs while showing what is
being loaded and I never get to the vga safe mode. Something must have
gotten hosed.

64-bit Gold Fingers Homebuilt PC's 6 March 24th 06 05:00 PM
Uninstalled 77.77 drivers and now XP won't correctly ID my card !! [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 4 August 22nd 05 06:16 AM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
most stable current chipset for AMD? Loke General 41 February 28th 05 10:18 PM
Need help my AIW 128 card when trying to install drivers from a new windoes... B coivrick Ati Videocards 3 September 17th 03 03:25 PM