Intel Core 2 Temperature Issues

Old September 19th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Gerry_uk

Default Intel Core 2 Temperature Issues

Hi,

I am experiencing 50-55C on my E6400 in idle/low load mode with ASUS
P5B, Intel stock fan and Antec Sonata II with an air duct.

You need to make it clear how you measured it?

Your temp is similar to mine, but my processor is E6800 and I don't have
an air duct.

What is considered to be "normal" for these processors? And what's the
highest safe temperature?

Not sure about normal, but Intel says you must NOT run the E6800 above
60 degrees - I assume they mean "core temp" here? Normal for idle should
probably be about 45-48 for E6800 and even less for E6400

All in all, it's a disappointment for me, because the big deal with
these processors was supposed to be that they run "cool and quiet". The
Intel stock cooler wasn't quiet at all, and judging by the size of it
they must have known these processors don't run that cool either.

I thought it was more like a laptop processor that just needed a small
heatpipe and small fan...

I built a computer for my Dad six months ago on ASUS A8V with AMD 64 and
this runs almost silent in an enclosed compact tower case with no
temperature issues at all _and_ it's really fast!

--
Gerry_uk
Old September 19th 06, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peacekeeper

Asus P5b basic conroe e6600 overclocked to 6700 speeds.

No qfan enabled. Ambient temp 22C
Idle Mb 36C Cpus average 38C by probe and coretemp
After 1 hour of everquest2 on full detail the temp 43C on the cores.MB then
at 38C.

Ok not e6800 but working up to it.

Cooling good air flow through the case and standard cpu cooler, standard
goop on the heatsink.
Tony

Old September 20th 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

That's high, although not so high as to be dangerous. I'm running high
30's / low 40's with an E6600 (higher power consumption) and the stock
cooler.

Andrei Outkine wrote:

I am experiencing 50-55C on my E6400 in idle/low load mode with ASUS
P5B, Intel stock fan and Antec Sonata II with an air duct.

What is considered to be "normal" for these processors? And what's the
highest safe temperature?

Gerry_uk wrote:

Hi,

My results on a P5B, with E6600. I also see a noticable difference
between the PCProbe and the Core Temps.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mark.gillespie/Junk

Your offset looks similar to mine, but obviously your temps are much
lower and your fan speed is lower too; the only difference is you are
using E6600 and I'm using E6800.

--
Gerry_uk

Old September 20th 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

My experience with an E6600 is very different ... my entire machine,
with 3 fans, is nearly silent. In fact, the fan control in the Gigabyte
GA-965P-DS3 often STOPS the CPU fan completely, and even full bore it's
quiet ... subjectively, the total machine noise is 20% of what my
previous P4 system was. The case is an Antec NSK4400 with an added
front fan, and the 3-speed switch on the rear case fan is set to the
mid-range position. I'm running core temps in the high 30's/low 40's,
and I'm delighted.

Old September 20th 06, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
KC Computers

I am experiencing 50-55C on my E6400 in idle/low load mode with ASUS
P5B, Intel stock fan and Antec Sonata II with an air duct.
What is considered to be "normal" for these processors? And what's the
highest safe temperature?

It should be in the 40C range. Are you sure that you have connected
the heatsink fan properly? Try removing it and make sure that it's
making good contact with the heat transfer compound.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See customer ratings at:
http://www.resellerratings.com/topstores.pl

Old September 20th 06, 08:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
kony

On 19 Sep 2006 10:55:35 -0700, "Andrei Outkine"
wrote:

I am experiencing 50-55C on my E6400 in idle/low load mode with ASUS
P5B, Intel stock fan and Antec Sonata II with an air duct.

What is considered to be "normal" for these processors? And what's the
highest safe temperature?

There is no "normal", it depends on room ambient temp,
chassis ventilation, system load (even when system is
seemingly idle, what is installed will largely determine how
idle, "idle" really is.

However, we can ignore any temp reading that is not taken
during an extended full load state. Idle or
somewhat-average temps don't necessarily matter, rather the
highest temp it ever reaches, does.

Try running some stress tests, like Prime95's Torture Test
and see what the temp is after 30 minutes or so, and whether
Prime95 reports any errors (meaning it has failed the test
no matter what the temp report and "some" kind of action
will need taken to make it stable).

If for example the system never went beyond 65C at full load
and never any instability, that is cool enough. Some would
prefer it to be cooler than that, but as important is why it
was that temp, as it could be a sign of poor chassis cooling
meaning that other parts are similarly (or evermore)
hot-running too, possibly parts nearer their peak threshold
like motherboard capacitors, hard drive(s) or video card.
Old September 20th 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andrei Outkine

Thanks all for your replies. I removed the air duct yesterday and
switched the Antec chassis 120mm fan from "Low" to "High". This
immediately brought the core down to 42C (Core 1) and 45C (Core 2) in
low load mode, as measured by Core Temp (btw, does the 3C difference in
temp between the two cores pose any reason for concern?)

Next I will try the stress tests. I also ordered the Cooler Master
Hyper L3 cooler and some AS5. I will report back on what difference
those make.

Andrei

Old September 20th 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

The Intel stock fan that came with my E6600 did not use heat sink
compound, it had a thermal transfer pad pre-applied to the base of the
heatsink.

Old September 20th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andrei Outkine

Agreed, but the Cooler Master is $30 cheaper and has excellent reviews
on NewEgg. Given that my temperature issue doesn't seem to be severe
(have yet to confirm that after the stress test), I decided to save
some money. Do you think I'll regret it? :-)