XP SP-2

Old August 24th 04, 05:24 AM
Barry Watzman

I've installed it about a dozen machines, with no problems.

I believe that your experience is unusual in the extreme.

I think it's a wonderful update, nearly bug free. Relatively few
programs have problems with it, and in my view the problem is in those
programs, not SP2. Port adjustments to the firewall, when required, are
generally "single-click" permissions to unblock (you don't even have to
know the port numbers).

wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
wrote:

Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
address.

SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
"Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale

Old August 24th 04, 06:46 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:58:39 GMT, John wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
wrote:

Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
address.

SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
"Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!

What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.

While it is possible that the drivers for the network card might need to
be reinstalled after sp2 the paper jam is comical. Did the weather
change after you installed SP2? Is it raining now and it wasn't raining
before? Blame that on Microsoft too.

One suggestion is that the new USB drivers installed by SP2 have
screwed up more than one bit of hardware.

Before you dismiss such suggestions, you might care to do a bit of
research. Were you, for example, the owner of a Psion Wavefinder, you
would certainly know that SP2 can screw up hardware. As to my printer,
I can only say that between not having problems and having them the
only change I made was to apply SP2.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old August 25th 04, 09:29 PM
Charlie King

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:36:24 GMT, in

(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) Leythos wrote:

What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.

Since I installed SP2, TWO planes have crashed in Russia - surely that
can't be coincidence?

--
Charlie
Old August 25th 04, 09:45 PM
Charlie King

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:46:28 +0100, in

(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) wrote:

Before you dismiss such suggestions, you might care to do a bit of
research. Were you, for example, the owner of a Psion Wavefinder, you
would certainly know that SP2 can screw up hardware. As to my printer,
I can only say that between not having problems and having them the
only change I made was to apply SP2.

A bit of research has suggested to me that the Psion Wavefinder's
problems predate SP2

http://www.spidersweb.freeserve.co.u...nderpro blems
http://mobileopera.com/wavefinder
http://www.wavefinder.co.uk/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000186.html

Wheras googling for

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...XP+SP2+problem
or
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=psi...&start=10&sa=N

Returns no actual reports specific to psion wavefinder Windows XP
Service pack 2 problems. Where can I find information about SP2
screwing up hardware?

As for your printer, have you tried rolling back (de-installing SP2)
to see if that cures the paper jams? Or have you tried the printer on
another non-SP2 machine?

If neither of those are possible, or conclusive, try turning the
computer off altogether, or unplugging the connection between the
computer and the printer, and using the printer's self-test function.
That will enable you to rule out any problems with the paper path that
may have occured.

HTH

--
Charlie
Old August 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Dave

How do you get into the XP firewall system to make manual settings?
I am new to Windows XP (Home Edition)
Thanks
DW
Old August 26th 04, 04:46 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:29:30 +0200, Charlie King
om wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:36:24 GMT, in

(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) Leythos wrote:

What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.

Since I installed SP2, TWO planes have crashed in Russia - surely that
can't be coincidence?

If there is a link between your PC and the software on board those
planes, then if I were you I would go into hiding.

In my case, the printer comes with a software interface that talks to
the PC. The printer hardware works just fine. It is just MS Word and
the machine that don't like one another. All other software is working
as it did pre SP2.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old August 28th 04, 02:01 AM
Barry Watzman

Right click on Network Places, properties, right click on local area
connection, properties, advanced tab, settings.

Old August 29th 04, 01:05 AM
Dave

Subject: XP SP-2
From: Barry Watzman
Date: 8/27/2004 9:01 PM

Dave wrote:
How do you get into the XP firewall system to make manual settings?
I am new to Windows XP (Home Edition)
Thanks
DW

Right click on Network Places, properties,
right click on local area connection, properties,
advanced tab, settings.

Thanks a bunch Barry

Later
DW