suggest me a graphic card

Old June 4th 08, 08:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
You'll neva walk alone!

Default suggest me a graphic card

hi there,
i have a intel 845 motherboard, with p4 2.8 GHZ processor with HT
technology. 512 mb ram and on board graphic card. hdd size is 80gb.
pplease suggest me a graphic card which i can use. price is not a
problem. remmeber i have a PCI slot not PCIe

thanks
nimit
Old June 5th 08, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'nimit' wrote:
i have a intel 845 motherboard, with p4 2.8 GHZ processor with HT
technology. 512 mb ram and on board graphic card. hdd size is 80gb.
pplease suggest me a graphic card which i can use. price is not a
problem. remmeber i have a PCI slot not PCIe

_____

You don't state the reason you want a graphics card. Games? Which ones?
Computer Aided Design? Web browsing? What limitations does the
on-board-graphic have?

The most important information about your system you left out. What
motherboard do you have? Almost certainly your motherboard has an AGP
graphics slot if it does not have a PCI-e X16 slot. A PCI slot is not
nearly fast enough for decent accelerated 3D graphics.

You haven't given information about the maker of your system. It may be
that the manufacturer supplied the cheapest possible motherboard, one
without an AGP slot. In that case your three choices are

1. Stay with the on-motherboard graphics.

2. Replace your current motherboard with a motherboard that is
compatible with your CPU and memory, but that has an AGP slot (better yet, a
PCI-e X16 slot if you can find such a motherboard). Depending on the
manufacturer and model of your current system, it may be difficult to find a
motherboard upgrade that will physically fit in your current computer system
case.

3. Replace the entire computer system. You did state that 'price is
not a problem'. If this is the case, then post your question in this same
thread telling what programs you want to use that need better graphics.
You can buy an entire new computer system with decent graphics for less than
$500 US (at least, in the US); Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GBytes DDR2 memory,
GeForce 8600 PCI-e graphics card, 250 GByte hard drive. That is just a
suggestion of what is available, not necessarily my recommendation since I
don't know what you want to do with your system.

Any PCI graphics card will have less capability than the on-motherboard
graphics.

Phil Weldon

Old June 5th 08, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"You'll neva walk alone!" wrote in message
hi there,
i have a intel 845 motherboard, with p4 2.8 GHZ processor with HT
technology. 512 mb ram and on board graphic card. hdd size is 80gb.
pplease suggest me a graphic card which i can use. price is not a
problem. remmeber i have a PCI slot not PCIe

You're the same person asking a few posts back about the "best" new 9XXX
series card for your system. You already got advice on that one. Pointless
advice, apparently. Now you are posting your systems specs which apparently
has a budget i845 baord with integrated graphics and a PCI slot available
for this video upgrade. Why ask the group and have people invest time in a
serious response regarding a 9600 or 9800 series card then come back with a
semi-literate "suggest me a graphic card" post which indicates either a
deliberate troll or complete ignorance of the subject. I'm leaning toward
deliberate troll since in your post you make it perfectly clear that you
know the difference between PCI and PCIe. Phil Weldon's advice can't be
improved on. I suggest you take it.

Old June 5th 08, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
You'll neva walk alone!

augustus sorry pal i, i have wasted ur time buddy... but the post
before and now was huge difference. here i have my own system hence i
just wanted to know what should i do...

phil: well its a lil bit of gaming... not hard core just CS and FIFA.
thanks for the advice anyway
Old June 5th 08, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sleepy

"You'll neva walk alone!" wrote in message
hi there,
i have a intel 845 motherboard, with p4 2.8 GHZ processor with HT
technology. 512 mb ram and on board graphic card. hdd size is 80gb.
pplease suggest me a graphic card which i can use. price is not a
problem. remmeber i have a PCI slot not PCIe

thanks
nimit

something like this can handle Counterstrike
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/121534
but at modest settings i.e. 1024x768 medium textures etc
you will also need another stick of RAM - 512mb isnt enough to run WinXP
*and* play games - RAM is cheap enough so get another 512mb stick.