GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4

Old March 3rd 12, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Default GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4

Since installing this card, many times, shortly after Windows finishes
booting, the screen will freeze and then go blank for a sec or two. After
that, mpgs, etc will only show a blank green screen. Also, if I go into Q3
Arena, the screen will turn bright yellow and blurry while in its menu and I
have to really remember where exit is to get out. Other games are even
worse.
However, if I start the MS Halo Combat Evolved game, the screen will blink
and then after the menu shows up, the bottom three choices are readable, but
somewhat perforated.
When I exit out, all is back to normal: on my other games and on mpgs.
I used the info selection on my LCD monitor and all reads the same as before
I ran the Halo game. (when back in the desktop view).
I have uninstalled the Nvidea Drivers and rebooted and installed (can barely
read the screen while trying to install the drivers, artifacts, etc) the
latest Omega Drivers for that card and have the same results.
H Frequency 70.9KHz
V Frequency 75.3Hz
Resolution 1440 x 900
Pixel Clock137.2MHz
Model Number PX2710MW

Why would running the Halo game put things back right?
Thanks for any ideas or questions for more info.

Buffalo

Old March 3rd 12, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Buffalo wrote:
[...]

Have you tested with any other software ? Try a Linux LiveCD,
as it's relatively easy to try out. The idea here, is to see if
basic frame buffer operation is OK, and there isn't a problem
with color palette or I/O signals coming from the video card.

What happens if you use the video card, with a fresh install of WinXP ?
Does adding a standard Nvidia driver at that point, lead to correct operation ?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You might need a spare hard drive, unplug the original WinXP drive,
install fresh WinXP, then play around and see if the setup works better.
If it does work better, then you know some software added to the original
configuration, is responsible.

The Halo code, might be doing something which causes the driver to
error out, and after the driver recovers, things look normal. In
other words, it might not be a command that Halo code is issuing,
but rather a response to an error happening while DirectX is
doing stuff, that fixes things up. Take a look in Event Viewer,
and see if there are any interesting entries (Event Viewer
doesn't help very often, but you should still have a look.
It's like gold mining - you might get lucky and find a nugget.)

Paul
Old March 3rd 12, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

?
[...]

I like the way you think 'out of the box'.
I'll try to isolate it more. Looked into the Event Viewer, but nothing
obvious to me. I will keep checking it.'
Thanks again,
Buffalo
PS: Seems like once I correct it by running Halo, it 'usually' stays good
for the rest of the session (many hours).
The problem also happens sometimes when I just open a folder or click on an
embedded link in FF10.0.2.Makes me think of a possible resolution change or
refresh.

Old March 4th 12, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
yukonron[_22_]

Just go to your device manager and uninstall it then restart windows it
should detect it and reinstall it. Then go to
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers have it auto detect your GPU then
download and install the latest driver. That's a very old card you could
pick up a better card for under $100.00. I'm assuming you don't have a
PCI express slot so here's the best bang for your buck for an AGP card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161308 I you do
have a PCI exprees slot there are alot more option's and alot better
card's. http://tinyurl.com/6olz5ox

Old March 5th 12, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

yukonron wrote:
Just go to your device manager and uninstall it then restart windows
it should detect it and reinstall it. Then go to
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers have it auto detect your GPU then
download and install the latest driver. That's a very old card you
could pick up a better card for under $100.00. I'm assuming you don't
have a PCI express slot so here's the best bang for your buck for an
AGP card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161308 I you
do have a PCI exprees slot there are alot more option's and alot
better card's. http://tinyurl.com/6olz5ox

Thanks for your suggestions.
My mb (ECS K7S5a ver 3.1) will only support AGP 4x (not 8x) and I actually
have two of the 7600 GT video cards (got two when I bought from ebay) and
they both act the same way, so I doubt it is the card itself.
I have uninstalled the old ATI drivers and also the Nvidea drivers and
rebooted and installed the latest Nvidea drivers and also tried the
Omegaman's drivers and have the same problem.
Sometimes the video won't change for the first 20 min and sometimes it
changes in the first couple of minutes.
It 'usually' changes when the screen changes (different URL, imbedded link,
almost any change to the screen even by opening up Explorer) and then once I
'reset' it by rnunning Halo, it usually stays good for a long time, many
times for the rest of the session.
Yes, I need a new OS and PC.
Yes, a PCI Express 16 card would be much better and I can hardly wait to
build my new machine.
Buffalo