Optimum temperature for P4 Prescott?

Old November 6th 04, 11:27 PM
Bobby

Default Optimum temperature for P4 Prescott?

My new CPU is an Intel P4 (Prescott) running at 3.0GHz. The CPU temperature
is between 62-70C. Is that OK?

It's higher than I'm used to (usually AMD CPUs which run cooler than this).

Cheers.

Bobby

Old November 7th 04, 12:00 AM
DaveW

70 C is the upper LIMIT for the safe operation of a Prescott CPU. Yours is
running too hot if those are the average temperatures.

--
DaveW

Old November 7th 04, 01:05 AM
Spajky

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:00:53 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

70 C is the upper LIMIT for the safe operation of a Prescott CPU. Yours is
running too hot if those are the average temperatures.

limit temps are ment of a IHS long term full load; he has /looks like
onDie temp reporting, which is approx. at least 10° higher than that
of IHS/, but anyway if those temps are correct reported, he needs
additional cooling. But maybe his MoBo is not reporting him correct
temps ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old November 7th 04, 10:27 AM
Ken

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:27:22 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

My new CPU is an Intel P4 (Prescott) running at 3.0GHz.
The CPU temperature is between 62-70C. Is that OK?

No.

Old November 7th 04, 06:08 PM
YavolGurrick

"Bobby" wrote in message

My new CPU is an Intel P4 (Prescott) running at 3.0GHz. The CPU
temperature is between 62-70C. Is that OK?

This is not good. What motherboard you using? Which heatsink/fan? Is the
fan actually spinning?

I've a P4 2.4c clocked to 3.2GHz and my maximum temp. at full load is around
the 55 degs. C mark. Idle, I'm looking at 38-42 (and that's with the fan
running
at only 60% of maximum). BTW, I'm using a stock Intel P4 cooler, here.

Old November 7th 04, 08:51 PM
Glitch

Bobby wrote:
My new CPU is an Intel P4 (Prescott) running at 3.0GHz. The CPU temperature
is between 62-70C. Is that OK?

No,I believe those temps are too high,and you should consider a new
heatsink/fan.I'd recommend the Zalman 7000Al-Cu if you're using sck.478.
Old November 8th 04, 04:41 AM

From: "Bobby"
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Optimum temperature for P4 Prescott?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:27:22 -0000

My new CPU is an Intel P4 (Prescott) running at 3.0GHz. The CPU
temperature
is between 62-70C. Is that OK?

It's higher than I'm used to (usually AMD CPUs which run cooler than
this).

Cheers.

Bobby

Are you using an LGA775 processor?. If so, did it come fitted with a grey
thermal pad?. If it did, you can reduce the CPU temperature by 10C just by
removing the pad and using a heatsink compound instead.

Consider using a different heatsink:
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/c...2.htm#logoInfo

Willard.
Old November 8th 04, 08:56 AM
WebWalker

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:27:22 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

My new CPU is an Intel P4 (Prescott) running at 3.0GHz. The CPU temperature
is between 62-70C. Is that OK?

It's higher than I'm used to (usually AMD CPUs which run cooler than this).

What motherboard are you using?
Try to flash the BIOS for the latest update and see whether its helps
(the update help to correct wrong temperature reading).
If no, then you need a better after market heatsink plus fan.

--
WebWalker
Old November 8th 04, 08:48 PM
Bobby

I bought the Intel Pentium Prescott kit which included the CPU (3GHz),
cooler and fan.

The cooler had a solid paste base which sat on the CPU. But it wasn't very
big or very thick. When I saw it I thought: "That's not much paste to cool
the CPU". And I was right. It wasn't. The CPU runs very hot.

I have now replaced my Pentium pack with an Athlon 64 bit pack which runs at
37-44C - that 24C cooler than the Prescott.

Prescott heating seems to be a known issue:

http://207.44.152.242/index.html

Bobby

wrote in message

Old November 8th 04, 11:16 PM
JK

The power consumption statistics for different processors are very interesting.
Notice that the Pentium 4 550 (3.4 ghz) consumed around 40% more power idle and around 60% more power under load than the Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm system.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2.../index.x?pg=10

wrote in message