Shutdown Problems Gigabyte GA 7VAXP

Old May 13th 04, 09:28 PM
Bill

Default Shutdown Problems Gigabyte GA 7VAXP

Not sure if this is a windows 2000 pro or gigabyte
question or maybe a combo
of both?

I am running a Gigabyte GA 7VAXP ultra motherboard
with a amd 2100 processor
and windows 2000 pro.

When I shut my pc down the monitor goes off the HD
light goes off, I hear
the chip fan wind down in the pc, (yet external
fans and led lights are
still on and going, its sorta in a state of limbo)
I also hear the monitor clickand powerdown, but it
doesn't actually go 100% OFF till I move the
mouse, one movement of the mouse or click of the
mouse and it goes off 100%.

In the bios, I have the acpi suspend type set to
{S1(POS), Soft off by
powerbutton set to instant off, keyboard and mouse
power on both disabled,
but are there any other things I am missing that
could be causing this
problem?

In windows 2000 pro, under the Properties,
Display, Advanced section I have
the "when I press the power button on my computer"
set to Power Off.
HIbernate is not checked, I don't have a UPS unit
so I havent messed in
there, and power schemes is home/office, turn off
monitor after 20 mins,
turn off hard discs NEVER system standby NEVER.

I am new to this pc (just built it) and to windows
2000 pro (just upgraded
to it from ME) so again I apologize if this is
more of a windows 2000 pro
question but I was hoping some folks here could
give me pointers as to what
I might have set wrong, basically I want it to
just power off when I hit the
power button, it SORTA does that now, yet doesn't
fully turn everything OFF
till I move the mouse, once I jiggle the mouse the
whole pc shuts down 100%
all fans etc.

Thanks for any help on this,
I will check back in the group for any replies

Bill
Steveperryfan2001 (at) yahoo.com

------------------------------

Old May 13th 04, 09:36 PM
Bill

When I originally posted this problem (in the
past) someone
suggested this link might fix the problem,

I was willing to give it a shot and follow what
looked easy to do

To disable power management on the USB hub:
1.. Right-click My Computer, click Properties,
click the Hardware tab, and then click Device
Manager.
2.. Double-click the Universal Serial Bus
controllers branch to expand it, right-click USB
Root Hub, and then click Properties.
3.. Click the Power Management tab.
4.. Click to clear the Allow the computer to
turn off this device to save power check box,
click OK, and then quit Device Manager.
But when I get to step 3 (I don't see power
management options when I right click on USB Root
Hub Properties), I see a POWER tab but really
nothing that would allow me to do anything except
disable or enable it.

(using windows 2000 pro),

Heck the description of what was said to happen
and how this may fix it sounded promising yet i
dont
see those options to try to fix it in my tabs and
choices of my device manager under USB controllers
etc etc

So back to square one I guess...

Old May 16th 04, 05:14 PM
Dimitris

"Bill" wrote in message news:q%Qoc.43125$iF6.4032664@attbi_s02...
[...]

That information at microsoft applies for WinXP only. Your problem
must be similar however. A few things cross my mind at the moment.
1) Go to bios and find the option USB mouse support and set it to
Enable. If it is enabled set it to disable and give it a try, though
probably you wont be able to boot into Windows 2000.
2) The drivers for your mouse. Try to find an updated driver.
3) Plug it to different usb port. Preferrably to a USB 1.1 port.
Update to the latest bios for the motherboard, I have version
f4(latest is f6 though it doesnt mention fixing problems like your
own), but havent install windows 2000. Shutdowns 100% with winxp and
MS wireless optical mouse.

And a friendly advice, I think windows XP has better support from
microsoft. Unless you have/work to some kind of company and have a
licensed version of windows 2000.
Old May 16th 04, 10:39 PM
Bill

Thanks for the suggestions I will make those
changes in the bios and try a few different usb
ports just in case that might help...

"Dimitris" wrote in
message
m...