Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

Old April 23rd 04, 08:59 AM
Clive

Default Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

.... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
thnx

Old April 24th 04, 05:23 AM
mrgreg

"Clive" wrote in message

Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
thnx

You want to watch the voltage output as well. I'm pretty sure a first gen.
P4 and a northwood have different v.core requirements. Start pumping too
much voltage to the core and it won't last long.

Old April 24th 04, 08:32 PM
Rob Stow

Jim in Canada wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message

Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
thnx

[Top posting corrected.]
Depends on the motherboard. Some will not recognize it and will not boot up
at all.

It could depend on the cpu too. I have, for example, twice run
into 333 MHz FSB Barton core Athlons that would not work in a
266 MHz motherboard. Both times, just putting in a different
cpu of the exact same model/speed fixed the problem.

Intel is so far behind AMD these days that it has been a while
since I wasted time on P4s, but perhaps others have had similar
experiences with P4s ? If you have the kind of money needed
for a fast P4 you would be better off switching to AMD64 - at
least until Intel manages to catch up, possibly by this time
next year.
Old April 24th 04, 09:46 PM
Inglo

On 4/23/2004 12:59 AM Clive brightened our day with:

Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
thnx

How about telling us exactly what your motherboard is?

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]
Old April 24th 04, 10:20 PM
Homie

Bottom posting corrected (most people start reading at the top of a page, it aint 1987
anymore, welcome to the 21st century).
" Intel is so far behind AMD these days "
Where do people come up with such bull****?
AMD just discovered thermal protection, (Intel has been doing it for years)
AMD cores are made of delicate material that cracks & destroys the core with the
slightest pressure imbalance. (Intel cores are hard to crack, never the less Intel
CPU's will continue to function with cracks in the material)
Intel will RMA a defective CPU for 3 years without problem, I have a stack of 18 AMD
CPU's that are dead, AMD won't do a ****ing thing about it because I don't have the
receipts... I guess AMD doesn't consider the date code as anything important.?
Just try and get AMD factory support on their "Mobile CPU's" ...... I won't tell you
what happens, just call AMD and say you have a Mobile /Laptop CPU and need support...
Then post back here and tell us how great AMD is

Homie

Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com

Old April 24th 04, 10:54 PM
John

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:20:11 GMT, "Homie" wrote:

[...]

Well... FWIW recently I did have reason to email AMD regarding a retail 64bit
cpu on which I managed to break off the plastic locking arm. The 64bit cpu's
now use a locking arm which uses a cam action to apply the pressure which makes
it easier to insert the cpu/heatsink assy.... however the small plastic arm
which holds the locking arm in the locked position is a little fragile... or I
should say was! I notice on the replacement (in fact they sent me 2 for some
reason) the plastic arm is now slightly thicker so maybe they have had a few of
these break off.

The point is... AMD responded quickly... I don't have any complaints.

Regards

John
Old April 25th 04, 12:16 AM
Rob Stow

Homie wrote:

Bottom posting corrected (most people start reading at the top of a page, it aint 1987
anymore, welcome to the 21st century).
" Intel is so far behind AMD these days "
Where do people come up with such bull****?

Perhaps because an AMD64 processor outperforms and uses a lot
less power than a P4 or Xeon that is clocked 50% faster ?

Intel has a *long* way to go to catch up with AMD64.

AMD just discovered thermal protection, (Intel has been doing it for years)

Actually, AMD has had good thermal protection features in their
CPU's for a few years now. If you manage to buy a current
motherboard that doesn't implement the thermal protection features
of the cpu then you deserve what you get. Motherboard manufacturers
for AMD processors have done much to improve things in the last few
years - primarily in response to complaints from AMD and from users
about the way that older motherboards ignored the thermal protection
features of the processors.

AMD cores are made of delicate material that cracks & destroys the core with the
slightest pressure imbalance.

If you've managed to wreck any processor like that - regardless
of whether it is an AMD or an Intel processor - then it is about
time someone told you not to use a sledgehammer when you insert a
cpu. Both AMD and Intel make cpus that have extremely low failure
rates when they are installed by someone who knows what he is
doing.

I've used 6 to 10 AMD processors per month in the last 3 years
and about 2 or 3 per month in the ten years before then and I
have never had a single failure except for one AthlonXP that was
DOA and a few occassions where I did some rather extreme overclocking.
During the same period I've used about half as many Intel processors -
also with one DOA and no other failures.

(Intel cores are hard to crack, never the less Intel
CPU's will continue to function with cracks in the material)

And just what the hell are you doing that is cracking them ?

Intel will RMA a defective CPU for 3 years without problem, I have a stack of 18 AMD
CPU's that are dead, AMD won't do a ****ing thing about it because I don't have the
receipts... I guess AMD doesn't consider the date code as anything important.?

I do a lot or cpu replacements for idiots who have managed to
wreck their AMD or Intel processor. Both AMD and Intel have
been very good to me when I return a dead processor. But
then again I don't do stupid things like cracking a processor
and then trying to blame it on the manufacturer.

Just try and get AMD factory support on their "Mobile CPU's" ...... I won't tell you
what happens, just call AMD and say you have a Mobile /Laptop CPU and need support...
Then post back here and tell us how great AMD is

Actually, I have done that in the past. I was having trouble
with a mobile Athlon XP 2500+ - crashes in the middle of the
POST while drive detection was occurring. It took one call to
AMD to fix the problem (needed to revert to a slightly older
BIOS version for the motherboard), although I will concede that
I was on hold for about 90% of that 25 or 30 minutes call. I
also got an unexpected call back a little while later from that
same techie - he wanted to make sure that his suggested solution
worked.

Old April 25th 04, 06:31 AM
John

"Clive" wrote in message

| Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...
|
| ... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
| the MOBO is designed for ?
| My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
| I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
| to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
| Please correct me if I'm wrong
| thnx

You do not have to be a guru to apply some simple rules.

Various models of CPU use differing voltages and multipliers. The BIOS
extracts a model code from the CPU and uses this to identify the chip and
set the working parameters accordingly on modern auto configure mobos:
(remember the old boards where you had 8 or 10 jumpers to set voltages,
frequencies and such, plus perhaps a DIP switch or two).

Unless you can set these things manually, then the CPU type must be on the
board's list of acceptable CPUs for a known outcome. Refer to the maker's
specs in the book or on their web page. (Occasionally closely related CPU
versions work, sometimes in a limited mode, sometimes the chip may be
damaged - take your chances or get someone else to try it).
John.

Old April 25th 04, 10:55 AM
Phil

"Rob Stow" wrote in message
Homie wrote:

Bottom posting corrected (most people start reading at the top of a

page, it aint 1987
anymore, welcome to the 21st century).
" Intel is so far behind AMD these days "
Where do people come up with such bull****?

Perhaps because an AMD64 processor outperforms and uses a lot
less power than a P4 or Xeon that is clocked 50% faster ?

So let me see here, you're comparing a 32/64bit processor against two 32bit
processors? Why the hell didn't you compare the Athlon XP which has *much*
more relavence?

And since when did the clock speed have any relavence nowadays...sure, its
clocked 50% slower or whatever, but do you see AMD releasing CPUs with 3GHz
clock speeds? Didn't think so.