GeForce4 MX 420 how to connect 2 monitors?

Old September 20th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DeanB

Default GeForce4 MX 420 how to connect 2 monitors?

Hi all,

I have a GeForce4 MX 420 card. It has TV-out, but not two RGP ports.
How do I connect two regular monitors? I have dual mons at work but
the card has a digital and an rgb, so that's simple.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Dean

Old September 20th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

DeanB wrote:
Hi all,

I have a GeForce4 MX 420 card. It has TV-out, but not two RGP ports.
How do I connect two regular monitors? I have dual mons at work but
the card has a digital and an rgb, so that's simple.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Dean

A Matrox DualHead2Go can take one wide VGA image and
make two VGA signals with it. But for the price of this
thing, you could buy another graphics card instead.

http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/product221.html

The compatibility page is here. Basically, the idea is,
you set the video card to 2560x1024 and the box converts
that to two 1280x1024 side-by-side images. There is a piece
of software you can download, to check if the video card can
do it or not.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/ca...patibility.php

While there are converter boxes that would convert S-video (TV-out)
to VGA, the quality would be too poor to make it worth while. You'd never
be able to read any text on that screen.

Another video card would solve the problem, either adding a PCI
card to the box, or simply getting a different AGP card with two
connectors of the proper type. (Don't forget to uninstall the video
driver, before powering down and replacing the AGP card.)

Paul
Old September 20th 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

That older underpowered video card you have may not be able to drive two
monitors.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------
ups.com...

Old September 21st 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
That older underpowered video card you have may not be able to drive two
monitors.

--
---------------------
DaveW

That older underpowered brain you have may not be able to drive any
thoughts.

RF.

Old September 21st 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DeanB

On Sep 20, 8:01 pm, "RF" wrote:
"DaveW" wrote in message

. ..

That older underpowered video card you have may not be able to drive two
monitors.

--
---------------------
DaveW

That older underpowered brain you have may not be able to drive any
thoughts.

RF.

The hype from nvidia is that it can do two monitors! WTF? Its driver
can, but the card can't! WT F'ing use is that?

Oh well, I guess I could get a bigger screen.

Thanks all for all the input.

Dean

Old September 21st 07, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sir-Les-MP

DeanB wrote:
On Sep 20, 8:01 pm, "RF" wrote:
"DaveW" wrote in message

. ..

That older underpowered video card you have may not be able to drive two
monitors.
--
---------------------
DaveW

That older underpowered brain you have may not be able to drive any
thoughts.

RF.

The hype from nvidia is that it can do two monitors! WTF? Its driver
can, but the card can't! WT F'ing use is that?

Oh well, I guess I could get a bigger screen.

Thanks all for all the input.

Dean

Looking at nvidia's website they confirm this card is able to run two
monitors up to resolution's of 1280 x 1024
with the fact it only has 1 vga output this would suggest you require a
monitor splitter cable to run two monitors from there it should
hopefully recognise the second monitor and allow there software to take
over and let you set them up however you require
however with the price of older nvidia/ati cards these days i would
consider changing it for a card that does have two independent vga
outputs physically on the card
Old September 21st 07, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"DeanB" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 20, 8:01 pm, "RF" wrote:
The hype from nvidia is that it can do two monitors! WTF? Its driver
can, but the card can't! WT F'ing use is that?

Oh well, I guess I could get a bigger screen.

Thanks all for all the input.

Dean

That card, even when it was brand new, was better suited to acting as a
doorstop. Now that it's almost 6 years old, even more so. It was a cheap
budget card back then, and a feature such as two connectors was probably
left off intentially to keep the cost down.

You could pick up a really cheap newer card with two connectors on it with
no problem, especially if you aren't using it for gaming, just to expand
your desktop. Just make sure you get one with the right motherboard
interface: PCI Express, AGP, or PCI.

RF.

Old September 21st 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DeanB

On Sep 20, 11:19 pm, Sir-Les-MP wrote:
DeanB wrote:
On Sep 20, 8:01 pm, "RF" wrote:
"DaveW" wrote in message

m...

[...]

outputs physically on the card- Hide quoted text -

Don't you think its bad practice that they say that though? Its really
annoying they can get away with such an approach.

Old September 21st 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"DeanB" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 20, 11:19 pm, Sir-Les-MP wrote:
Don't you think its bad practice that they say that though? Its really
annoying they can get away with such an approach.

It's also possible that other versions of the MX420 did have two connectors
on them.

AFAIK, every card manufactured in the past couple years came with two
connectors. At least, I can't think of any that didn't off the top of my
head, except perhaps the cheapest budget cards you could buy.

And, nVidia just makes the GPU chip. They do not manufacture cards. If
nVidia makes GPUs and drivers that can handle multiple monitors but the card
manufacturers do not put multiple VGA or DVI connectors on the card that is
not nVidia's problem.

RF.