System Keeps Rebooting GA-8IK1100

Old April 5th 04, 03:12 AM
Reckless

Hello,

"juzuz" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi Russell,

Resetting the CMOS did nothing either. Kept the battery out for 10

minutes,
put it in, reset everything in the BIOS, let Windows XP run like a new
install, get to the Installing Windows (after selecting to do a new

install)
and it says, "Please wait" and goes no further. If I reboot and let it

try
to boot from the HD it tells me that "ntldr" is missing. I am at a

complete
loss over this. I just don't know what is wrong!

Sally

Are you sure u reset the cmos? I took out the battery on my mobo, but
forgot to disconnect the plug from the psu. So I removed the battery 5
times, increasing the interval it was out till i remembered to unplug the
power supply. BTW, how long did u wait after u saw the "please wait" page?

Regards,
George

Old April 5th 04, 04:02 AM
juzuz

George,

No, didn't unplug PS from mobo! I will redo this. Let's see, so far I've
been waiting 15 minutes on the "Please wait. . . " Figured that would be
long enough!

I'll post back after resetting the CMOS again, with PS unplugged!

Old April 5th 04, 04:42 AM
juzuz

George,

Yes, I did unplug the PS from the mobo, took out the battery for 10 minutes,
put it back in, reset the bios settings (fail safe default) making sure it
was set to boot from the new Seagate drive and NOTHING. It still halts at
"Please wait. . . . " after selecting a new install of Windows XP.

I do not know what else to try and I am more than aggravated. Can there be
a problem with the mobo? I've tried different cables. What about something
else I have installed on my system?

Seagate HD
WD HD (set as slave)
Sony DVD Burner
Sony CD-ROM
FDD
Giga-byte mobo GA-8IK1100
ATI Radeon 9200 128 meg
1 GB of PC2700 (in two 512 chips) RAM
P4 2.8 Processor w/hyperthreading
Zoom 56K modem

I'm willing to try ANYTHING to get past this block!

Sally

Old April 5th 04, 09:00 AM
Russell

Hi Sally,

You're really having a time of it! I feel for you; nothing quite so
frustrating as doing something that you've done many times before, just to
have some new unidentified wrench in the spokes @%$%ing everything up. One
thing I'm not quite clear on. You said you had your Seagate jumpered as
cable select, but your WD jumpered as slave. You should only jumper as
cable select when all shared drives are jumpered as slave. Just to be safe,
make sure all 4 IDE/ATAPI drives are jumpered correctly according to their
positions on the IDE cables as master and slave, don't use cable select.

Check one more thing before you give up and RMA the board: in your BIOS,
under the Frequency/Voltage Control submenu, is your memory frequency set to
133? Since you're using PC2700 memory on a chipset and processor that
support a 800 MHz front side bus, the memory frequency should still be set
at 133 (533 MHz front side bus speed) instead of 200 (what PC3200 memory
would use with the 800 MHz front side bus.)

If this doesn't pinpoint the issue, I'd suspect a bad MOBO...it happens
occasionally, and we've pretty much ruled everything else out in previous
posts. I really hope you get this baby up and running.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

link.net...

Old April 5th 04, 04:42 PM
Sally

Russell,

I checked my master/slave settings. All IDE devices are set
correctly. Question: I see you use this board to build your systems
at Tastycomptuers. Will the cpu I have (2.8 w/HT) work on my Asus
P4S533 board? I know the hyper threading won't but will the proc
work? I'm going to pull the Gigabyte and get an RMA and have it
replaced but if I can get my system back up and running till I get the
new mobo, I'd be happy!
Old April 5th 04, 05:29 PM
Russell

Hi Sally,

According to the Asus motherboard CPU support specs at
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx, it won't, since
your new CPU has the faster 800 MHz front side bus. I'm sorry to hear that
you couldn't get things installed. Did you check your memory frequency
setting in BIOS for your PC2700 memory? I was hoping that it would either
be an erroneous IDE jumper setting or a tweak in BIOS, but you seemed to
have verified all this.

I'm sorry you couldn't get it up and running.
Russell

om...

Old April 6th 04, 03:52 AM
juzuz

Hi Russell,

Yes I did set the memory frequency in the BIOS for my 2700 memory. That
made it worse, actually. Instead of hanging at the "Please wait. . . " when
trying to install Windows, it rebooted as soon as I hit enter to do a new
install of XP. The board it packed and ready to go back. Here's hoping
that my replacement will be a smooth transition!

Thanks again for all your help. You've been GREAT!

Sally

"Russell" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "." wrote in
message newsPfcc.78638$K91.171569@attbi_s02...