Intel will only support Windows 10?

Old May 20th 16, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Intel will only support Windows 10?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160516PD205.html

What phukkan bull**** is this?
I will be getting AMD Zen then, even if it only as good as Haswell.
Old May 20th 16, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160516PD205.html

What phukkan bull**** is this?
I will be getting AMD Zen then, even if it only as good as Haswell.

All next-generation processors built by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm,
or others, will only support Windows 10, Microsoft confirmed
in a recent blog post. That means if you buy a PC with these
upgraded chips - Intel's "Kaby Lake", Qualcomm's "8996", and
AMD's "Bristol Ridge" - they will only run Windows 10; you
can't downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

(Recent blog post)

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...on-innovation/

Notice that Microsoft is making the announcement.
Hard to say who is driving the bus. I tried to find
some "amplification" on the Intel site, but was unable
to find anything.

This article is a bit more logical.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...to-windows-10/

And it's possible the statement is a bit overreaching, as I
expect a company like Asus could arrange to turn off features
in some newer CPU, which conflict with an older OS. If such a
thing was possible.

Generally, hardware is not designed that way. Features are
switched on in an onion-skin fashion, and if an OS doesn't
know about a feature, it simply isn't switched on. We didn't
get to this point, by having absolutely random hardware
designs - a lot more thought goes into it than that. So in
some ways, you're going to have to prove it to me, that in
fact the computer will "tip over", if built with Kaby Lake,
and you install Windows 7. Maybe, if anything, a Windows Update
would say something like "we don't support this", and your reply
would be "well, I switched off Windows Update in November 2015 and
I really don't care what you do". Two can play this game. And
if the CPU runs a little hotter in Windows 7, who cares.

Maybe when the appointed date arrives, testing will reveal
what actually drives this announcement.

Intel already pulled a stupid move on Z170, by equipping
the USB ports with only XHCI, which prevents a Windows 7
DVD from booting from a USB optical drive. Or something
like that. And that change wasn't for any particularly
good reason. The hardware saving (gate count) would be
minimal. I could only conclude in that instance, that
Intel was being high-handed and arbitrary in their
design. As the USB intellectual properly was already
designed in previous designs, and could be reused without
modification. So Intel looks bad on that one.

("Installing Windows 7" - two thirds of the way down the page)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/i...vga-supermicro

We know that Intel likes to deprecate things, but this
time, they made the wrong decision. The proper way to
deprecate, would be to remove USB entirely, when the
time for that comes about. All flavors of interface
should be supported until the interface is removed
entirely. That's the right way to do it.

Paul
Old May 20th 16, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
s|b

On Fri, 20 May 2016 11:28:44 -0400, Paul wrote:

All next-generation processors built by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm,
or others, will only support Windows 10, Microsoft confirmed
in a recent blog post. That means if you buy a PC with these
upgraded chips - Intel's "Kaby Lake", Qualcomm's "8996", and
AMD's "Bristol Ridge" - they will only run Windows 10; you
can't downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

Just curious: they won't support a Linux OS either?

--
s|b
Old May 20th 16, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robert Brereton[_3_]

looks like Microsoft will be dragging the chip vendors into the abyss with
them then. Bye bye Intel et al.

Old May 20th 16, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 20 May 2016 05:54:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I will be getting AMD Zen then, even if it only as good as Haswell.

An article I was reading said there will be similarly future select
AMD chips for "only the W10 platform."
Old May 20th 16, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 20 May 2016 20:56:37 +0100, "Robert Brereton"
wrote:

| looks like Microsoft will be dragging the chip vendors into the abyss with
| them then. Bye bye Intel et al.

Doesn't sound like such a big deal to me. Only the upcoming CPUs introduced summer
of next year and after will be affected. Intel will still make and sell some
existing generations. Older versions of Windows wouldn't be able to get full benefit
of most new cutting edge CPU features anyway.

Larc
Old May 21st 16, 05:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

s|b wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 11:28:44 -0400, Paul wrote:

All next-generation processors built by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm,
or others, will only support Windows 10, Microsoft confirmed
in a recent blog post. That means if you buy a PC with these
upgraded chips - Intel's "Kaby Lake", Qualcomm's "8996", and
AMD's "Bristol Ridge" - they will only run Windows 10; you
can't downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

Just curious: they won't support a Linux OS either?

You would not expect support to be backported.

Maybe your Ubuntu 7.04 CD wouldn't install for example.

But I view this announcement as "noise", until
we see concrete examples of stuff not actually
working. Once we know what these "theoretically
destructive" mechanisms are, we'll know what
is affected by it.

You just don't design hardware that way. That's
why I'm going to need details of actual failure
cases, to prove designers have become that stupid.

Paul
Old May 21st 16, 10:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 20 May 2016 21:51:34 +0200, "s|b" wrote:

Just curious: they won't support a Linux OS either?

*nix projects have as often been developmental, even though all have
not arisen to meet specifics or a quality of Linux. One helpful
viewpoint, however, should there be developmental interests engaged on
upcoming MPU hardware platforms, otherwise -- supposed "Microsoft-only
platforms" -- naturally, is for some resultant talent on the part of
*nix programmers to ensue: an offset, as it were, then being
potentially to a broadened, informed perspective for all to know
regarding precisely what is on Microsoft's proprietary "field of
play," for such rules as intended to discriminate against all but
players of a affiliate elite approved by Microsoft.
Old May 21st 16, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Flasherly wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 21:51:34 +0200, "s|b" wrote:

Just curious: they won't support a Linux OS either?

*nix projects have as often been developmental, even though all have
not arisen to meet specifics or a quality of Linux. One helpful
viewpoint, however, should there be developmental interests engaged on
upcoming MPU hardware platforms, otherwise -- supposed "Microsoft-only
platforms" -- naturally, is for some resultant talent on the part of
*nix programmers to ensue: an offset, as it were, then being
potentially to a broadened, informed perspective for all to know
regarding precisely what is on Microsoft's proprietary "field of
play," for such rules as intended to discriminate against all but
players of a affiliate elite approved by Microsoft.

as it were, huh? : )
Old May 21st 16, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

s|b wrote:
Paul wrote:

All next-generation processors built by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm,
or others, will only support Windows 10, Microsoft confirmed
in a recent blog post. That means if you buy a PC with these
upgraded chips - Intel's "Kaby Lake", Qualcomm's "8996", and
AMD's "Bristol Ridge" - they will only run Windows 10; you
can't downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

Just curious: they won't support a Linux OS either?

You would not expect support to be backported.

Maybe your Ubuntu 7.04 CD wouldn't install for example.

But I view this announcement as "noise", until
we see concrete examples of stuff not actually
working. Once we know what these "theoretically
destructive" mechanisms are, we'll know what
is affected by it.

You just don't design hardware that way.

But it's a really good attention-getter.