Windows 10? Who will upgrade from Win 8, from Win 7, from XP this month?

Old July 21st 15, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Windows 10? Who will upgrade from Win 8, from Win 7, from XP this month?

I decided on my 'throwaway' PC, which I use for coding and gaming (for fun, not my day job), which is a modern quad core running Windows 8.1, I will upgrade to Win 10 later this month and for the first time I will not do a 'clean install' but 'upgrade'. I do this to take advantage of the 'free upgrade to Win10 if you do it within the first year of our July 2015 offer', and because Win 8.x is crappy.

However, for my mission critical stuff, on my other PC which runs Windows 7, which is stable and works fine, I am not going to upgrade until Windows 10 is very stable (probably several years from now, or maybe next year before the 1 year free deadline expires) and/or until such time Win 7 is deprecated like Win XP is now, and I am forced to upgrade. I do this even though I might have to pay Windows an annual fee for Win10 if I don't take advantage of their 'free' upgrade offer now. It's not worth it to me to became in essence a beta tester for Microsoft on my 'real work' PC. I do disk imaging and backups religiously but it's still not worth it for now to try Windows 10 and then have to reinstall Win 7 if something goes wrong (as you'll lose a half day reinstalling Windows from the backup, and time is money for me). Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year....but not right now.

Anybody else?

RL
Old July 21st 15, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

RayLopez99 wrote:
Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year...but not right now.

Anybody else?

RL

No way I am leaving the security of my Win7/pro system. I have started
to explore Linux options in preparation for the future. I'm surprised
MS would make beta-testers out of it's customers. No thank you very
much, for me!

Bill
Old July 21st 15, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 6:21:36 AM UTC+8, Bill wrote:
I'm surprised
MS would make beta-testers out of it's customers. No thank you very
much, for me!

Bill

Of course the master plan by Microsoft (I used to be a shareholder, and thus MSFT fan boy but I sold off my MSFT for a nice profit a while ago and am now neutral) is to charge annual subscription fees off customers like you who hesitate on the free offer, wait more than 1 year from this July's release of Win 10, then decide Linux is not good enough and are forced to buy (rent/lease) Windows 10 for an annual subscription fee. Evil! I (don't) like it!

RL
Old July 21st 15, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

RayLopez99 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 6:21:36 AM UTC+8, Bill wrote:
I'm surprised
MS would make beta-testers out of it's customers. No thank you very
much, for me!

Bill

Of course the master plan by Microsoft (I used to be a shareholder, and thus MSFT fan boy but I sold off my MSFT for a nice profit a while ago and am now neutral) is to charge annual subscription fees off customers like you who hesitate on the free offer,

"free offer"--I can't think of a shorter route to a probably headache! : )
I saw version 8. And have bought two Windows 7 machines since then.

Old July 21st 15, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , Bill
said:

RayLopez99 wrote:
Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year...but not right now.

Anybody else?

RL

No way I am leaving the security of my Win7/pro system. I have started
to explore Linux options in preparation for the future. I'm surprised
MS would make beta-testers out of it's customers. No thank you very
much, for me!

That's rich, who do you think beta-tests Linux other than it's users?

--
Are you tired of having your hands cut off by snowblowers?
Old July 22nd 15, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode of , Bill
said:

RayLopez99 wrote:
Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year...but not right now.

Anybody else?

RL

No way I am leaving the security of my Win7/pro system. I have started
to explore Linux options in preparation for the future. I'm surprised
MS would make beta-testers out of it's customers. No thank you very
much, for me!

That's rich, who do you think beta-tests Linux other than it's users?

With Linux, it's a CHOICE whether you want to be a beta-tester.

Old July 22nd 15, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:03:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote:

| I decided on my 'throwaway' PC, which I use for coding and gaming (for fun, not my day job), which is a modern quad core running Windows 8.1, I will upgrade to Win 10 later this month and for the first time I will not do a 'clean install' but 'upgrade'. I do this to take advantage of the 'free upgrade to Win10 if you do it within the first year of our July 2015 offer', and because Win 8.x is crappy.
|
| However, for my mission critical stuff, on my other PC which runs Windows 7, which is stable and works fine, I am not going to upgrade until Windows 10 is very stable (probably several years from now, or maybe next year before the 1 year free deadline expires) and/or until such time Win 7 is deprecated like Win XP is now, and I am forced to upgrade. I do this even though I might have to pay Windows an annual fee for Win10 if I don't take advantage of their 'free' upgrade offer now. It's not worth it to me to became in essence a beta tester for Microsoft on my 'real work' PC. I do disk imaging and backups religiously but it's still not worth it for now to try Windows 10 and then have to reinstall Win 7 if something goes wrong (as you'll lose a half day reinstalling Windows from the backup, and time is money for me). Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year...but not right now.
|
| Anybody else?

After getting Win 8.1 beaten into the shape I wanted on 2 boxes, I like it. A lot.
Considerably faster than 7. I have Win 10 preview build 10240 on an extra box and so
far like it a little less than 8.1, but will risk 10 on my secondary after I do a
fresh backup of the system partition so I can go back to current 8.1 quickly if I
want to. My laptop that still has 7 is a definite candidate for 10 if for no other
reason than to speed it up.

Larc
Old July 22nd 15, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 7/21/2015 6:57 PM, DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode of , Bill
said:

RayLopez99 wrote:
Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year...but not right now.

Anybody else?

RL

No way I am leaving the security of my Win7/pro system. I have started
to explore Linux options in preparation for the future. I'm surprised
MS would make beta-testers out of it's customers. No thank you very
much, for me!

That's rich, who do you think beta-tests Linux other than it's users?

That reminds me. I have to take my car back to the dealer this week.
It seems we also beta test air bags too.
Old July 22nd 15, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 7/21/2015 11:55 PM, Larc wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:03:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote:

| I decided on my 'throwaway' PC, which I use for coding and gaming (for fun, not my day job), which is a modern quad core running Windows 8.1, I will upgrade to Win 10 later this month and for the first time I will not do a 'clean install' but 'upgrade'. I do this to take advantage of the 'free upgrade to Win10 if you do it within the first year of our July 2015 offer', and because Win 8.x is crappy.
|
| However, for my mission critical stuff, on my other PC which runs Windows 7, which is stable and works fine, I am not going to upgrade until Windows 10 is very stable (probably several years from now, or maybe next year before the 1 year free deadline expires) and/or until such time Win 7 is deprecated like Win XP is now, and I am forced to upgrade. I do this even though I might have to pay Windows an annual fee for Win10 if I don't take advantage of their 'free' upgrade offer now. It's not worth it to me to became in essence a beta tester for Microsoft on my 'real work' PC. I do disk imaging and backups religiously but it's still not worth it for now to try Windows 10 and then have to reinstall Win 7 if something goes wrong (as you'll lose a half day reinstalling Windows from the backup, and time is money for me). Of course if everything goes fine with Win10 I might be tempted to try and upgrade during a slow work day from Win7 to Win 10 sometime next year...but not right n

ow.

| Anybody else?

After getting Win 8.1 beaten into the shape I wanted on 2 boxes, I like it. A lot.
Considerably faster than 7. I have Win 10 preview build 10240 on an extra box and so
far like it a little less than 8.1, but will risk 10 on my secondary after I do a
fresh backup of the system partition so I can go back to current 8.1 quickly if I
want to. My laptop that still has 7 is a definite candidate for 10 if for no other
reason than to speed it up.

Larc

Operating systems are always faster when they are freshly installed.
Does that laptop use SATA III with a fast SSD? I can't imagine my Win7
being much faster. Nothing slows a system more than AV and less than
stellar configuration.

Could you describe what you mean by "faster"? Faster start-up? Faster

Thanks.

Al
Old July 22nd 15, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

[...]

I'm conflicted. I have an old Win 7 home system not in service that
I'll upgrade as soon as possible and see what problems there are. If
all goes well, we have two more Win 7 home systems and two Win 7 Pro
boxes that we'll download the upgrade for, and then wait and see if we
upgrade them all. Ideally, I'd like to keep all the boxes on the same
OS.