HP: noise long after printing?

Old July 29th 06, 06:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Seb

Default HP: noise long after printing?

Hi,

My good ol' Laserjet 4050 really had it this time. I have to replace it.

A friend of mine has bought a Laserjet 1160 and is happy with it, except that
after printing a page it is rather noisy for several minutes before going back
to sleep mode (which is perfectly quiet). I'd really hate to run into this
problem (the 4050 did not suffer from it), and it is nigh impossible to get
this kind of information from a store.

I am considering three Laserjet models: 2420, 2430T, 4250.

If you have one of those, could you tell me whether you would consider them to
become real quiet ("can't hear a thing") a few seconds after printing a page?

If you have other discriminating information regarding these models, I'll be
happy to read from you too!

Thanks a lot for your help.
Seb.

Old July 29th 06, 10:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Seb wrote:
Hi,

My good ol' Laserjet 4050 really had it this time. I have to replace it.

A friend of mine has bought a Laserjet 1160 and is happy with it, except that
after printing a page it is rather noisy for several minutes before going back
to sleep mode (which is perfectly quiet). I'd really hate to run into this
problem (the 4050 did not suffer from it), and it is nigh impossible to get
this kind of information from a store.

I am considering three Laserjet models: 2420, 2430T, 4250.

If you have one of those, could you tell me whether you would consider them to
become real quiet ("can't hear a thing") a few seconds after printing a page?

If you have other discriminating information regarding these models, I'll be
happy to read from you too!

Thanks a lot for your help.
Seb.

What sort of noise is it? Does it sound like a fan running? If so that is the
cooling fan which will run until the printer has cooled down. All laser
printers do this, some older ones never turn the fan off but most modern ones
do.
Tony

Old July 30th 06, 01:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Seb

What sort of noise is it? Does it sound like a fan running? If so that is
the cooling fan which will run until the printer has cooled down.

I think it's more than a fan. It's really annoying. Maybe an undersized,
unbalanced fan, but I doubt it. More like a machinery running in case one sent
more files to the printer--they would then print more quickly.

All laser printers do this, some older ones never turn the fan off but most
modern ones do.

I agree. My question could be: how long does it take with the 2420, 2430T and
4250 models? I know it was almost immediate with the 4050. I'd buy any one of
these if only I knew one of them to behave politely.

It's kind of important because the printer is about one yard from my ears...

Best regards,
Seb.

Old July 30th 06, 02:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Seb

If you haven't already done so, check the fan for dust and lint
accumulation. This can build up on the fan blades until they
begin to strike the fan cage. This may be the source of your
recent increase in noise level.

What? Sorry maybe I wasn't clear: my printer is dead for reasons unrelated to
noise (notably the laser); my friend's printer is brand new, and the report
was confirmed from another source: the noise it makes is "normal". I just want
to buy a printer that is quiet, that's all, and I'm asking for advice on
the models 2420, 2430T and 4250.

Seb.

Old July 31st 06, 01:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Seb

What sort of noise is it? Does it sound like a fan running? If so that is
the cooling fan which will run until the printer has cooled down.

I think it's more than a fan.

I was wrong: it is indeed the fan. I went to my friend's to check.

Point is: the fan runs for three minutes no matter what the printer has done.
Even opening and shutting the door that gives access to the cartridge, without
printing anything, sends the fan into spinning for three minutes.

I can only hope it is better on the 4250: I just bought it on a website.

Seb.