Dual core or single processor?

Old July 16th 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
skyf

Default Dual core or single processor?

Has anyone noticed a performance difference between dual core and
single processors? The dual core is cheaper on Dell desktops, but a
friend tells me that dual cores produce too much heat, and that most
software can't take advantage of them.

Dual cores are supposed to be good for multitasking, but my
multitasking is running a video game, MS Word and Outlook Express at
the same time. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or a minute to switch
between a game and MS Word. Would a dual core help with this?

Skyf

Old July 16th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
NuTCrAcKeR

"skyf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone noticed a performance difference between dual core and
single processors? The dual core is cheaper on Dell desktops, but a
friend tells me that dual cores produce too much heat, and that most
software can't take advantage of them.

Dual cores are supposed to be good for multitasking, but my
multitasking is running a video game, MS Word and Outlook Express at
the same time. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or a minute to switch
between a game and MS Word. Would a dual core help with this?

Skyf

XP will take advantage of the dual core. While the applicaitons you have
mentioned (at least the MS ones) are not multithreaded, the OS will work
better with more apps because it can have the OE thread tree executing on 1
core, while the game, or Word is executing on another. Once the apps are
running, you can set an affinity for the application process to run on one,
the other, or (try to use) both cores. Most people dont worry about that,
and just open thier apps. by default windows will set every process affinity
to both cores.

Even if you arent using apps that can use both today, chances are that you
will in the next few years. Get on the wagon now so you dont have to worry
about it later. The thing you really want to think about is what will VISTA
do with the dual core. XP still has a few years left in it, but at some
point im sure you will contemplate how your rig will run the new OS's.

- NuTs

Old July 16th 06, 05:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:07:58 -0500, "NuTCrAcKeR"
wrote:

XP still has a few years left in it, but at some
point im sure you will contemplate how your rig will run the new OS's.

I am going to try to stay with XP for at least 5 years. PC's have
finally gotten to the point where I don't see a need to upgrade. I
know, famous last words. MS will hook something into Vista that I
will probably want. I love the PC's I have now. They are fast enough
and doggonit people like them (obscure reference to Stuart Smalley).
Old July 16th 06, 08:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

"skyf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone noticed a performance difference between dual core and
single processors? The dual core is cheaper on Dell desktops, but a
friend tells me that dual cores produce too much heat, and that most
software can't take advantage of them.

If you wait until July 27, the Core 2 Duo will be widely available.
That CPU uses less power than even AMD and runs cooler.

Tom Lake

Old July 16th 06, 10:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"skyf" wrote in message

A. friend tells me that dual cores produce too much heat, and that most
software can't take advantage of them.

Too much heat? "What the hell difference does that make. What, you mean he
would have to get a larger air conditioning unit in his house, or maybe keep
putting bags of ice on top of the cpu???

Dell may need some help in customer service, but do you think that they are
that stupid that they would design a system that would melt?

I don't know, call me crazy but if a processor puts out more heat... than
maybe they would put more fans in, or more air holes, or more heat sinks,
etc...

If that's what your friend thinks, than I suggest he buy only cars with V4's
in them, because the V8's probably put out way too much heat to work
properly.

As for dual core, it all depends on how fast and efficient you want your
computer to be. I'm not going to guess at which programs function better or
not with dual core, but I will make it real simple, without using any tech
talk or anything that I don't know anything about (like most others that
post to newsgroups do) I'm sure that a processor that can handle two tasks
simultaneously instead of only one is how shall I say... better!

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but my advice has always been to get
the fastest, biggest, best computer that you can afford on the day that you
buy it. It will be obsoleted before it is shipped, but you won't have
to question whether you should have bought a better one, only whether you
should have waited that extra day

Old July 16th 06, 04:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

If you wait until July 27, the Core 2 Duo will be widely available.
That CPU uses less power than even AMD and runs cooler.

Tom Lake

The reviews of Intel's Conroe chip (now Core 2 Duo) state 20% faster than
AMD's fastest (FX-62) with power consumption down to 65 watts (75 for the
top of the line Core Duo 2).
Wait till release of Core 2 Duo to buy it or for massive price cuts by AMD.