A8N-SLI SATA3 AND SATA4 (Third Sata and Fourth Sata Connection) Problem

Old June 4th 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default A8N-SLI SATA3 AND SATA4 (Third Sata and Fourth Sata Connection) Problem

Hi All,
I have a A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard.
I have a 75GB Western Digital Raptor on SATA1
and a 250GB on SATA2
recently got a 500GB Hard drive that I would like to put on SATA3 or
SATA4

Problem:
I've tried SATA3 and SATA4 to no avail. Neither shows the hard drive
registering.
I enter the BIOS(using delete key) and SATA1,SATA2,SATA3,SATA4 show .
Yet, Hard drives apear only on SATA1 and SATA2.

I am on BIOS 1009-001 should i attempt an upgrade to 1011-006 to try
and fix this problem?

Under Device manager- IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - NVIDIA NForce4 Serial
ATA Controller - The 2 harddrives show up as Primary and Secondary
Channel. (Driver version 5.10.2600.552)

I have swapped the 500GB and 250GB hard drives on SATA2 and both show
up.
I've also swapped out the SATA cable with a different one and that
didnt help.

Bad Motherboard mabye?

Any Ideas?
Thanks for reading this far

Old June 4th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"spawnx" wrote in message
[...]

Looking at your manual, I see 8 SATA connectors, 4 for NForce 4 SATA and 4
for Silicon Image RAID. Are you sure you're using the 3rd and 4th SATA
connectors and not two of the SI RAID connectors?

Old June 4th 06, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

First off... thanks for the replies

1 and 2.NVRaid is not enabled. Everything Raid in the bios is turned
off.

old man wrote:
And finally what does Disk Management show?

3.The Bios isn't picking up SATA3 or SATA4, so i doubt that Disk
Management will be able to see the harddrive.
I looked and whatever is in SATA3 and SATA4 is ignored.

I tried using SATA1 and SATA3 and different combinations
and nothing worked.

I am definitly starting to think that the motherboard is just faulty.
Gonna see if I can submit to ASUS and see what they say.
Thanks so much!
Spawnx

Old June 4th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Hm.. didn't answer this question appropriately in the last reply.
I have 4 Regular SATA on the right side in black(really brown)
and 4 Raid on the left in red.
Definitely using the brown.

BROWN:
SATA4 SATA3
SATA2 SATA1

Thanks!

Old June 4th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

ups.com...

old man wrote:
And finally what does Disk Management show?

3.The Bios isn't picking up SATA3 or SATA4, so i doubt that Disk
Management will be able to see the harddrive.
I looked and whatever is in SATA3 and SATA4 is ignored.

I tried using SATA1 and SATA3 and different combinations
and nothing worked.

I am definitly starting to think that the motherboard is just faulty.
Gonna see if I can submit to ASUS and see what they say.
Thanks so much!
Spawnx

I also have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium. I have 2 x 75GB WDC Raptors in a RAID
0 configuration on the NV SATA1 and SATA 2 Ports. I also have a 300GB
Seagate on NV SATA3, and a 400GB Seagate on SATA 4, both of these are
non-RAID.

In the BIOS Setup, did you configure the settings correctly from the
Advanced -- Onboard Device Configuration -- IDE Function Setup -- Serial
Port 3, 4 option to Enabled?

If you are not using RAID you can leave the Advanced -- Onboard Device
Configuration -- NVRAID Configuration -- First, Second, Third, and Fourth
SATA Master RAID options Disabled. On my own setup the First and Second
SATA Master RAID options are Enabled, and the Third and Fourth SATA Master
RAID options are Disabled.

Old June 9th 06, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Thank You so much!!!!
I Enabled SATA3 and SATA4 in IDE FUNC SETUP on Advanced as you said
and it all works perfectly!!!!
I thought IDE was for the 7 pin connectors !!! so I didn't bother too
look in there!!!
DOH!!!
Thanks!!!!
Homer Simpson rules!!!!

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help me as well!!!