SATA problem...pls help

Old April 14th 06, 04:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default SATA problem...pls help

i have a sata drive and a ata drive.i connected my ata as primary os in
ide1 and connected my sata drive in 3rd ide of asus p4c800 deluxe
southbridge ide slot(intel ich5).
in my windows, it is able to display under disk drives both my disks
but in my "my computer", it wont display my sata disks...
initially, i connected in the promise slot but it wont also work that
way but still my pc is able to detect the sata drive but not in "my
computer"...so i disabled it in my device manager.
in my bios config, i already disabled raid mode,used enhance mode and
native mode both for the pata and sata drive..
also, my primary os disks is primary slave on ide1.does it have
something to do?
please help....

thanks

Old April 14th 06, 04:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

in follow-up to the above, i used partition magic if it can do the
trick..
it is able to detect the sata drive but with an asterisk drive letter
and set as active/primary. the only possible options are change drive
letter but only none is the option;delete the partition and format the
partition..

please help...thanks!

Old April 14th 06, 04:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

electro wrote:

i have a sata drive and a ata drive.i connected my ata as
primary os in ide1 and connected my sata drive in 3rd ide
of asus p4c800 deluxe southbridge ide slot(intel ich5).

in my windows, it is able to display under disk drives both my
disks but in my "my computer", it wont display my sata disks...

That particular result is usually just because you havent
partitioned the drive that isnt visible in My Computer.

You do that in Disk Management.

initially, i connected in the promise slot but it wont also work
that way but still my pc is able to detect the sata drive but
not in "my computer"...so i disabled it in my device manager.

in my bios config, i already disabled raid mode,used enhance
mode and native mode both for the pata and sata drive..

also, my primary os disks is primary slave on ide1.

Thats not ideal but it does normally work fine. Not clear if its
the only drive on the ide1 or not, its fine if it isnt the only drive.

does it have something to do?

Shouldnt be the reason you cant see the sata drive in My Computer.

i used partition magic if it can do the trick..

it is able to detect the sata drive but with an asterisk
drive letter and set as active/primary.

Forget how an unpartitioned sata drive shows up in partition magic.

Dont worry about it, see how it shows up in disk management in XP.

the only possible options are change drive letter but only none
is the option;delete the partition and format the partition..

Cant understand that last bit.

Old April 14th 06, 06:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

i also tried disk management.it shows up as healthy active/ntfs system
but with no drive letter to it.also,the only allowable action to it
when i right click is 'delete partition'...please help

Old April 14th 06, 07:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

electro wrote:

i also tried disk management.it shows up as healthy
active/ntfs system but with no drive letter to it.

OK, in that case you just need to give it a drive letter.

also,the only allowable action to it when i
right click is 'delete partition'...please help

The simplest approach is to use tweakui to add the drive letter.

Old April 14th 06, 07:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

thanks ill try to donwload it and ill tell you what it makes....

Old April 14th 06, 07:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

i downloaded and run tweakui but under drive menu, i cant add a drive
since my sata drive is nowhere to be found..
any more solution? thanks