System won't go into standby on its own

Old September 11th 05, 03:21 AM
Noozer

Default System won't go into standby on its own

Can anyone tell me why my P4 machine won't go into standby mode on it's own?

- I have no screen saver set
- Monitor is set to go blank after three minutes, and works fine.
- Harddrive is not set to powerdown after any length of time.
- Standby is set to occur after 5 minutes, but never happens (ie, doesn't
standby then wake up... It just never goes into standby)
- Manually putting the PC into standby works fine and it seems to stay that
way for hours.
- Wake on LAN is disabled on my NIC and in BIOS
- "Allow this hardware to wake PC" is disabled on all hardware where this is
an option.
- There are no entries at all in the Event Viewer that seem to indicate a
problem.

My hardwa
- Northwood P4 2.6Ghz @3.15Ghz
- Asus P4C800E Dlx mainboard, onboard intel gigabit lan, Onboard SoundMax
audio.
- 2x 256meg OCZ PC4200 (DDR533) DDR memory
- 128meg ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card
- MSI TV Anywhere master TV tuner card (currently not connected)
- Seagate 3120026A 120 ATA hard drive
- WD Raptor 36gig SATA hard drive
- Logitech MX700 mouse connected to USB
- Logetech wireless keyboard connected to PS/2

Softwa
- Windows XP Pro SP2
- Latest drivers for all hardware
- Alcohol 120%
- AVG antivirus
- Nero 6 Ultra Ed.
....plus more that shouldn't be starting until I choose to.

I'm assuming that there is some kind of hardware driver preventing StandBy,
but how to troubleshoot? What can I do to find out why it's not going into
StandBy mode?

Thx!!!

Old September 11th 05, 01:12 PM
Alceryes

I'm assuming that there is some kind of hardware driver preventing
StandBy, but how to troubleshoot? What can I do to find out why it's not
going into StandBy mode?

Could also be a piece of software. To test this just load up msconfig and
disable all startup items and retest.
More info can also be found here...
http://www.infopackets.com/channels/...andby_mode.htm
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old September 12th 05, 12:07 AM
Noozer

I never had much luck with MSConfig when trying to fix problems, but this
time it worked great!

Turned out to be a piece of software called DTNotes. Basically a stickynote
program for your desktop. Once that was stopped the machine when to standby
with no problem.

Thx!

link.net...