New motherboard storage devices

Old February 19th 17, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Default New motherboard storage devices

Flasherly wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Patriot Hellfire 240GB PCIe Gen3 x4 (M.2) Solid State Drive,
SSD (PH240GPM280SSDR)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

After reading some of the temps from the reviews on that
Patriot -- yeah, naming it Hellfire makes sense.

I certainly would consider supergluing heatsinks to the chips
and adding a fan.

"Crystal Diskmark for R/W are 2755/1502 MB/s"

"up to 2400 mbs read and about 1500 mbs write"

"about 1.5 Gigabytes per second for read and 1 Gigabyte per
second for write"

Obviously fast SSD make great Windows and programs primary
drives, read times are most important.
Old February 20th 17, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/myd...me80-bpx-0256/

Same controller as the Patriot Hellfire. Great overall
speeds. Cheap. The 128 GB model is dirt cheap $66 (total,
USA).
Old February 20th 17, 08:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 23:49:06 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Obviously fast SSD make great Windows and programs primary
drives, read times are most important.

Past a standards phase for implementation. I didn't realize that, not
until your initial post and a related article about upcoming AMD
chipsets for the AMD4 Ryzen. Several versions of that chipset
indicate direct NVME M.2 support channels.
Old February 20th 17, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 18:08:13 -0500, Bill
wrote:

You made me curious, and I noticed that an Intel 1-Terabyte SSD is $302
at Amazon.
By comparison the Intel 730 480 GB SSD is about $239 (I got one of
these 2 years ago from Newegg for $199 on "Black Friday"). I'm not sure
if the performance of these drives are equivalent. In by book, cheaper
and better hardware is great no matter what form it takes! ; )
By the way, a 55", 4K television is on sale today at Best Buy for $375 (!).

Dollar Cost Averaging usually follows cheaper to better in a
trickle-down effect. Standards and protectionism, once at the sweet
spot, are where the most people comfortably settle: an even[er]
playing field already cleared, if in need, by class-action lawsuits on
merchandise that doesn't live up to how its promoted.
Old February 20th 17, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Looking at benchmarks...

I can tell they are not randomly inflating the numbers, because
the "4k" speed is always low, only about 50% more than my Intel
520 SSD.

--

I wrote:

There is a new type of connector on my motherboard that
apparently can facilitate extremely fast storage drives. They
look cheap and apparently faster than SSD, I might try one
soon. Intel has a 128 GB version for about $65...

Intel 128GB M.2 80mm SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ox_sc_sfl_tit

le_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old February 23rd 17, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=...rantee&_sop=15

The seller apparently has lots of Samson 960 Evo and Pro.
The 960 Pro OEM 256 GB is about $164 (total, USA).
Old March 2nd 17, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

The Samson 960 Evo is available now from well-known retail
outlets for $130 (USA).
Old March 2nd 17, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 00:39:07 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

The Samson 960 Evo is available now from well-known retail
outlets for $130 (USA).

Sweet.

Closer to making more sense when waiting for a (well reviewed/tested)
2T mechanical to go on sale for $60 at BestBuy (not often enough for
not suspecting mechanical drives may eventually go niche and
conversely rise in pricing--as a consequence of median SSD market
supplies).

Be my last move, also: I've already done a) small floppies to bigger
floppies, b) floppies to tape, c) tape to optical media, and now, d)
optical media to large (mostly 1.5 or 2T) mechanical drives.

More than closer, actually, when considering extraneous material now
I've personally stored, which conceivably may be pared and reduced to
as little as three 1T SSD -- $400.

For storage purposes, nothing impresses me more than a SSD for
integrity and longevity. (Put one in an archival vault underground,
and it'd be David & Teddy from Artificial Intelligence -- for some
higher robotic sentience to dig up, in perfectly extant archival
order, when all the Trumps are finished providing resources for greed
and humankind goes extinct -- roughly 50,000 years from now.)
Old March 2nd 17, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

I might go with the SM961 OEM product. It should work with
their Magician software, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132006916858...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Says he accepts Best Offers.

Tom's hardware in the United Kingdom bashes the 960 Evo.
Old March 2nd 17, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-960-...-/142182864829

The 128 GB version of the 960 Pro. For less than $100 or best
offer.

I wonder if it would suffer the same huge performance
decrease as other models going from 256 to 128.

Impressed with the seller. Apparently a proficient English
speaker. Professionally replies to negative feedback.