Call of Duty Part 2

Old May 13th 04, 11:45 AM
Skybuck Flying

Default Call of Duty Part 2

1. Well this time I played again on 800x600 I think and I turned on dynamic
lighting on everything.

( I play the cod demo with the mission at midnight. )

This time when I was standing near a wall and I would shoot my gun... the
wall would be lit up because of the flash of the gun...

This is what I missed lol... well it's not that much of a big deal...

2. Then I proceeded and turned everything on at the highest level. 1024x786
and everything on high. To my surprise the game still played but
shockingly... The walls look very good actually a bit too good =D

3. I noticed how the dynamic lighting was causing a performance hit... so I
turned it completely off... that's not much of a big deal anyway...

4. Then I turned of tri-linear filtering and set textures back to normal...
the walls and stuff still looked pretty good !

5. Turning off wall marks and ejecting brass increased performance a bit
more.

So the final story is that I was able to play call of duty pretty decently
at 1024x786x32 bit colors on a pentium III 450 mhz with FX5200.

So the most important thing to make call of duty look good is to set the
resolution to 1024x786 !

That's pretty sad if you ask me lol... I always played RTCW MP DEMO with
640x480 and I goodn't be happier with it...

Anyway yesterday I showed some woman the Nvidia fairy... the demo called
'dawn' she was blown away by it and was very impressed ! =D

Then I showed her RTCW MP DEMO at 640x480... I said it's an old game
blablabla... and she said yeah I can see that it has older less good
graphics but it s still looking good she said.

She is a total newb at graphics lol...

So there you have it !

I am now completely done with the call of duty demo... I will move on to
halo next... A few months ago I already played halo on the 'super pc'... I
think it's an average game.. I would give it a 7 which is not really that
high... though the music was good.

The only thing I did not do was halo multiplayer... This time I have
downloaded a new halo demo which has multiplayer in it so they say...

I am expecting a laggy experience since most shooters are laggy expect id
software shooter's, unreal and cod

Though it will be interesting to see if halo can run on my system as well
and ofcourse the mp part off it =D

I am not sure if call of duty uses pixel shaders... what are pixel shaders
anyway ? ( I think little pixels with light/shadows falling on it and bump
mapping ?)

I did notice this pixel shader effect on halo I think...

So I think halo does use pixel shaders ?

Skybuck.