IBM ThinkPad screen problems

Old July 27th 03, 05:28 AM
Hans Huber

Default IBM ThinkPad screen problems

A friend of mine gave me her laptop, a IBM ThinkPad i Series Model 1161 with
screen problems. The screen appears very greenish and sometimes pink/purple
flickering. At first I thought it is a typical videodriver problem and
installed all the latest drivers. I soon found out though that the display
is greenish even at boot-up or when booting from a CD. It appears to be a
hardware problem with the screen and not a softwar (driver) problem.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a ThinkPad (or any laptop) that
developed such funny behaviour?

Any help or tips are very much appreciated!

Hans

Old July 27th 03, 05:45 PM
rcm

How did the problem happen? What led up to it? Did it just boot that way
one day?

Did you spill something in it, drop it, put it in a overpacked bag that
squished the display? Did you have problems with the hinges and it opened
funny?

What do you know about its recent history? Hardware changes? Software
changes? Virus. Did you lend it to someone? Any funny things happen before
the problem.

It sounds like a hardware problem. Probably the LCD. But think over the
recent history.

It could be the LCD display. It could be the video cable snaking up from
the base to the LCD that got loose. Did you recently open the base under
the keyboard, etc., you may have pulled on it. Not likely but think.

Old Compaq LTE 5000 has the worst problem I know of the video cable just
working its way loose in the base from constant opening and closing of the
LCD.

Because it is greenish, I would think maybe the video cable is damaged on
the wire that makes the green (well actually the an color other signal is
missing leaving the green working color to dominate). That is what happens
on CRTs. Is the video flat cable pinched in the case edge/hinges? Can you
see any brown flat cable sticking out? Don't mess with it, it might be
normal for the cable to be visible. Proceed with caution.

Some food for thought. Rare and unlikely what I mentioned but think about
it.

Old July 28th 03, 04:25 AM
Some One

Sounds like a bad cable between the mainboard and screen... I'd be
popping it open and checking the connections if it were me.

KVM Video problems Mike General 1 July 23rd 03 07:39 PM
17" Dell Flat Panel Screen nECrO General 3 July 4th 03 06:40 AM
Vidio problems part deus nECrO General 1 June 29th 03 07:08 PM
thinkpad booting problem Chris Enns General 0 June 26th 03 11:30 PM
Screen saver in LCD Monitor Cyde Weys General 3 June 24th 03 11:31 AM