Reliability if too many buffer underrun

Old August 2nd 03, 05:37 AM
Dan G

Default Reliability if too many buffer underrun

You should be more worried about using RW discs for "backup", very
unreliable. They should only be used for copying and transferring data.
As to the under-run, no it's not a good thing. If your files are smaller
than a 32KB, it can really slow a hard drive to index and copy them, and
could cause an under-run. I would use Nero to make an image of the burn,
then burn that to CDR.
Are you burning multisession on the RW discs?

"Chan WK" wrote in message
om...
My system is P3-750 with a 12X Creative burner (with buffer undderun
protection)

My work files directory contains about 2000 files (about 500MB in
total). I update/add maybe about several MB of files on daily basis.

My backup strategy is to use two CD-RW on alternate day, and then on
monthly basis, do a full erase and start from fresh again.

When using 10X CD-RW to do a full backup just now, Nero reported that
35 buffer underrun was prevented. The system wasn't running anything
else.

My question : does excessive buffer underrun protection cause lower
reliability?

Hard Drive Reliability Howard M. Stark General 4 July 17th 04 10:31 PM
How important is buffer size in a DVD/CD writer? Dan General 3 January 10th 04 05:22 PM
Maxtor reliability? @drian General 9 October 24th 03 08:20 AM
HDD with 8 meg buffer ?? chris General 2 September 13th 03 05:59 AM
Recorder Buffer Level Indicator In NERO [email protected] Cdr 6 June 25th 03 04:22 AM