GeForce GTX 460 FTW work in a mobo with PCI Express 1.*??

Old October 8th 10, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
PW[_3_]

Default GeForce GTX 460 FTW work in a mobo with PCI Express 1.*??

Hi,

I can not afford a new PC right now or in the foreseeable future. My
present one has an ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 (I think) and also is using
an EVGA GeForce 7950GT (512MB). I believe the mobo is PCI Express 1.*.
I would like to replace that card with a GeForce GTX 460 FTW which is
a DirectX 11 card (I can only run 9.* as I am still using XP).

What do you think? If it works, will I notice a difference? I am not
sure if this card takes up more than one slot but I think I have room.
I will check tomorrow.

-paulw
Old October 8th 10, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Yes it should work. PCIe 2.0 cards are backwards compatible. I upgraded from
X1900XT Crossfire to a single GTX 285, definitely noticed a difference.
These work well as ultra-fast DX9 cards. The GTX 460 takes up two slots.

Old October 8th 10, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
PW[_3_]

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 22:51:49 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

Yes it should work. PCIe 2.0 cards are backwards compatible. I upgraded from
X1900XT Crossfire to a single GTX 285, definitely noticed a difference.
These work well as ultra-fast DX9 cards. The GTX 460 takes up two slots.

Okay, thanks! Do you think this card will make a difference in my
aged system (mobo).

-pw
Old October 8th 10, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

On 2010-10-08 06:27, PW wrote:

Yes it should work. PCIe 2.0 cards are backwards compatible. I upgraded from
X1900XT Crossfire to a single GTX 285, definitely noticed a difference.
These work well as ultra-fast DX9 cards. The GTX 460 takes up two slots.

Okay, thanks! Do you think this card will make a difference in my
aged system (mobo).

As I said in my other reply to you, some maybe, depending on your ram
and CPU. basically your system won't be able to feed the 460 properly
(the while I ran my 460 on my old mobo it often iddled around 20-40%
with fans on minimum while processor and ram maxed out 100% trying to
feed it). What I noticed was that I wasn't getting higehr FPS (maybe
ahandfull more), but that my FPS was stabler (it didn't drop down) and
things feelt smother and looked better. Clearly the system was
bottlenecking the card.
What kind of CPU do you have?
Old October 8th 10, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
PW[_3_]

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 12:27:49 +0200, Thomas Andersson

On 2010-10-08 06:27, PW wrote:

[...]

It's an Athlon 3800+

Thanks!
Old October 8th 10, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

On 2010-10-08 18:38, PW wrote:

As I said in my other reply to you, some maybe, depending on your ram
and CPU. basically your system won't be able to feed the 460 properly
(the while I ran my 460 on my old mobo it often iddled around 20-40%
with fans on minimum while processor and ram maxed out 100% trying to
feed it). What I noticed was that I wasn't getting higehr FPS (maybe
ahandfull more), but that my FPS was stabler (it didn't drop down) and
things feelt smother and looked better. Clearly the system was
bottlenecking the card.
What kind of CPU do you have?

It's an Athlon 3800+

LoL, that's almost spooky like my previous system (I had mine running
at 2,3GHz via the NVidia overclocking tool).
Think I can give you a pretty good estimate of possible gains as I have
my w/wo 460 stats in Futuremark saved.

3DMark 06 (DX 9 stats)
Old system w. 7800 (more or less same as 7950, but less ram)
3DMarks SM2.0 HDR/Sm3.0 CPU
4754 2017 2017 1446
Old system w. 460 (stock speed as OC choked CPU and gave lower res)
6633 2793 3618 1370

Everything feels smother and looks better.
Old October 9th 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

This is a single-core 2.4 GHz, correct? Performance in games would probably
be a wash with my old 4400+ (2.2 GHz dual core). You'll notice a speed
increase in some games. In other games that are CPU-bound, you'll be able to
crank up the resolution and AA level.

Of course, who says the card can't outlive the rest of the system? When you
upgrade your CPU / mobo a year from now, transfer the card over.

"PW" wrote in message
news
It's an Athlon 3800+

Thanks!

Old October 9th 10, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

On 2010-10-09 03:13, First of One wrote:
This is a single-core 2.4 GHz, correct? Performance in games would probably
be a wash with my old 4400+ (2.2 GHz dual core). You'll notice a speed
increase in some games. In other games that are CPU-bound, you'll be able to
crank up the resolution and AA level.

Of course, who says the card can't outlive the rest of the system? When you
upgrade your CPU / mobo a year from now, transfer the card over.

Oups, the numbers I gave was with a overclocked 4200+ (dualcore at
2,3Ghz with 3GB ram).
Old October 9th 10, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
PW[_3_]

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:13:44 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

This is a single-core 2.4 GHz, correct? Performance in games would probably
be a wash with my old 4400+ (2.2 GHz dual core). You'll notice a speed
increase in some games. In other games that are CPU-bound, you'll be able to
crank up the resolution and AA level.

Of course, who says the card can't outlive the rest of the system? When you
upgrade your CPU / mobo a year from now, transfer the card over.

Thanks so much! I may take a loan out and finally buy a new current
PC!

-pw
Old October 9th 10, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skipai

On 08/10/2010 11:27, Thomas Andersson wrote:
On 2010-10-08 06:27, PW wrote:

[...]

I had that problem once with my old AMD K6/2 500mhz system when I bought
a Geforce Ti4200 which was way too fast for the current cpu. Thought it
would be better than the 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 card I had at the time. Had
to eventually upgrade to a socket A motherboard and got a 1.4ghz Athlon
which made the Ti4200 work fine without the games stalling as the cpu
tried to keep up to send more information for the gpu to carry on for a
few seconds and then it was all catch up again.

--
Skipai