FX 5200 Are they worth it

Old March 2nd 04, 03:17 PM
Fry

Default FX 5200 Are they worth it

I Have a FX 5200 128MB not an ultra although it probably could be with the
extra power adaptor on board the huge sandwich HS and fan. I am just
wondering are the leadtek GeForce 4Ti4200 that i have and the FX 5200
almost equal or very similar or are they good and bad in respect to office
apps and gaming and if so witch one is better for overall system performance
with DX9.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
BoB

If the fx 5200 has faster memory and the GF4ti has slower memory and is 4x
then the frame rate in games will be close, but the ti is a much better
gaming chipset! If the GF4ti is 8x with faster memory, no contest!

Old March 2nd 04, 09:27 PM
Bruce Tyler

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:17:17 GMT, "Fry" wrote:

I Have a FX 5200 128MB not an ultra although it probably could be with the
extra power adaptor on board the huge sandwich HS and fan. I am just
wondering are the leadtek GeForce 4Ti4200 that i have and the FX 5200
almost equal or very similar or are they good and bad in respect to office
apps and gaming and if so witch one is better for overall system performance
with DX9.

I made a huge mistake a week ago, by swapping my Leadtek Ti4200 128mb
LE TD for an FX5600- XT (which is not much more than an FX5200
anyway).. Notice I said "MISTAKE",,, because that's what it was - a
big fat MISTAKE..!!!!

Your Leadtek Ti4200 will **** all over a standard FX5200, especially
if it is a Leadtek as they are great cards and are easily o/c'd,
although I ran mine 99% of the time at standard speeds...

I had to swap my Ti4200 because of a deal that went drastically wrong
with my brother while upgrading PC parts - he bought my m/b etc and
the brand new FX5600 would not work on that m/b, so I took out my
Ti4200 and gave it to him and took his new 5700 - Don't ask for the
finer details,, I posted them earlier...

Anyway, I was thoroughly disappointed with the FX5600-XT. It ran so
much slower that it was heart-breaking.. I took the 5600 back and
swapped it for a 5700,, which is much better...

Against an FX5200, I literally hate to even think of the comparison as
I believe the Leadtek Ti4200 would have to be lightyears ahead in
performance..

Now that I have an FX5700, I still consider this to be only the
equivalent to a good Ti4600 and no more. It is way way better than the
5600 but still lacks serious power... It is however,, acceptable,
especially compared to the FX5600-XT..!!!

In a single word = DON'T.....
Old March 2nd 04, 10:45 PM
sbb78247

Fry wrote:
I Have a FX 5200 128MB not an ultra although it probably could be
with the extra power adaptor on board the huge sandwich HS and fan. I
am just wondering are the leadtek GeForce 4Ti4200 that i have and
the FX 5200 almost equal or very similar or are they good and bad in
respect to office apps and gaming and if so witch one is better for
overall system performance with DX9.

If you absolutely have your heart set on the 5200 then be sure it is a 128
bit interface and not the 64. But as Bruce Tyler said - don't do it! These
are painfully slow in comparison to the Ti. Take a look at the ATI 9600pro
or XT - in ATI speak XT is better, so don't confuse this with nVidia
products labeled XT.

Shannon

Shannon

Old March 3rd 04, 04:03 AM
Frank Hagan

"Fry" wrote in message
I Have a FX 5200 128MB not an ultra although it probably could be with the
extra power adaptor on board the huge sandwich HS and fan. I am just
wondering are the leadtek GeForce 4Ti4200 that i have and the FX 5200
almost equal or very similar or are they good and bad in respect to office
apps and gaming and if so witch one is better for overall system

performance
with DX9.

I have two Ti4200's. One ASUS and one Gainward Golden Sample. Keep the
Ti4200, the FX5200 is just a warmed over MX440.

FRH

Old March 3rd 04, 08:51 AM
boostland

"Fry" wrote in message
I Have a FX 5200 128MB not an ultra although it probably could be with the
extra power adaptor on board the huge sandwich HS and fan. I am just
wondering are the leadtek GeForce 4Ti4200 that i have and the FX 5200
almost equal or very similar or are they good and bad in respect to office
apps and gaming and if so witch one is better for overall system

performance
with DX9.

The 4200 will be heaps faster than a 5200, One of my friends had a 4200 and
"Upgraded" to a 5600 and it was slower by a long way in all his games.
Needless to say he sold it and got a 5900 to be sure that he was really
"upgrading".
The Ati 9600's are way better than FX's lower than 5900.
Fx's 5200's and 5600's are the new MX card replacements, they have less
pipes in the GPU.

Old March 3rd 04, 08:13 PM
Bruce Tyler

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:45:31 GMT, "sbb78247"
wrote:

Fry wrote:
I Have a FX 5200 128MB not an ultra although it probably could be
with the extra power adaptor on board the huge sandwich HS and fan. I
am just wondering are the leadtek GeForce 4Ti4200 that i have and
the FX 5200 almost equal or very similar or are they good and bad in
respect to office apps and gaming and if so witch one is better for
overall system performance with DX9.

If you absolutely have your heart set on the 5200 then be sure it is a 128
bit interface and not the 64. But as Bruce Tyler said - don't do it! These
are painfully slow in comparison to the Ti. Take a look at the ATI 9600pro
or XT - in ATI speak XT is better, so don't confuse this with nVidia
products labeled XT.

Shannon

Shannon

I had never really considered an ATI based card until this moment in
time that I described in my reply...

As from "now",, ATI becomes a real thought in mind for me... Now I
will keep one eye open on nVidia based and the other on ATI based
cards. For the past 4 years (almost to the day too), I have been
religiously using nVidia based cards and I have had quite a few of
them too, starting with an Asus TNT2 VTR3800 32mb Deluxe. Maybe it is
time to boraden my horizons...
Old March 3rd 04, 08:51 PM
sbb78247

wrote:

Fry wrote:
[...]

I was a dyed in the wool nVidia owner until recently too. I installed a
9800 recently and a 9600 ATI based cards and they have a cleaner image on
the same monitor. Driver, hardware, dunno, but it appears better to my
naked eye!

Shannon

Performance Comparison: Nvidia Fx 5200 or GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Falcon1209 General 13 October 30th 04 02:26 AM
fx 5200 sweet deal but will it work ? Skybuck Flying General 20 May 12th 04 05:31 PM
Are cpu shims worth using? Jim General 4 April 11th 04 04:10 PM
FX 5200 128MB Worth it or not Fry Overclocking 1 March 3rd 04 06:14 PM
What is an Osborne 1 worth? Cyde Weys General 6 February 12th 04 02:07 AM