6800GT only works when card is flexed

Old March 26th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 6800GT only works when card is flexed

I have been given a 6800GT that only works when the card is flexed in a
certain position. does anyone have any ideas for something I could rig up to
keep a constant level of flex on the card or any ideas on how I might fix it

Old March 26th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I have been given a 6800GT that only works when the card is flexed in a
certain position. does anyone have any ideas for something I could rig up
to keep a constant level of flex on the card or any ideas on how I might
fix it

I'd say there's a bad connection on the board somewhere, either a surface
mount component or possibly a bad contact on the expansion slot or video
connectors. When you say "works when flexed", do you mean that you aren't
getting a video output and the board is working (computer boots, graphic
card fan spins) or that the computer doesnt boot at all? Personally, I'd
contact the manufacturer about an RMA, wouldnt like to take the risk of
something serious going wrong.

Lord Deckard.

Old March 26th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

its over the warranty period, if you look down the card it is bowed
slightly, if I apply pressure to get it 'straight' I get video, if not I get
'no video'. All other vehaviour is normal
"Lord Deckard" wrote in
message ...

Old March 27th 06, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article , Biff says...
I have been given a 6800GT that only works when the card is flexed in a
certain position. does anyone have any ideas for something I could rig up to
keep a constant level of flex on the card or any ideas on how I might fix it

Dry solder joint.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 27th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

You can try resoldering every solder joint on the card and thoughly cleaning
the edge connector with deox or light sanding of it with extremely high grit
sand paper but it still might not help because these cards are multi level
and may have a bad internal land. Putting a permanant flex on it might
work, then again it might not for the long haul.

DaveL

. ..