Black only printer

Old November 12th 03, 03:33 PM
Iconoclast

Default Black only printer

I am tired of replacing color cartridges in my Epson cx5200 although I never
use them.

I don't print enough to warrant a laser printer.

Are there any ink-jet printers on the market that print black only, with a
large, refillable cartridge?

I am dreaming again.

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

Old November 12th 03, 04:14 PM
leo

"Iconoclast" wrote in message
I am tired of replacing color cartridges in my Epson cx5200 although I

never
use them.

I don't print enough to warrant a laser printer.

Are there any ink-jet printers on the market that print black only, with a
large, refillable cartridge?

I am dreaming again.

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

mono laser can be found very cheaply, even below $150 or $100. I think it's
worth considering because unlike wet ink, dry toner won't evaporate.

Old November 12th 03, 05:44 PM
Iconoclast

Hi Leo

Trouble is, I print maybe five pages B/W per day. Would that work out with a
laser printer?

I heard that lasers have long start-up (warm-up) periods and have to be on
all day long. Don't they waste a lot of power when they are on without being
used? Does the mechanism and/or toner deteriorate when they are turned on
but not used?

Thanks for any input

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
-

k.net...

Old November 12th 03, 09:58 PM
Iconoclast

I can't see the advantage to filling the color cartridges with black ink.
Instead of wasting color ink, I would be wasting black ink.

Right?

--

"Malev" wrote in message

"Iconoclast" wrote in message
.. .
I am tired of replacing color cartridges in my Epson cx5200 although I

never
use them.

refill your colour cartridges with BLACK ink.

Old November 12th 03, 10:00 PM
pookeybrain

"Iconoclast" wrote in message

I heard that lasers have long start-up (warm-up) periods and have to be on
all day long. Don't they waste a lot of power when they are on without

being
used? Does the mechanism and/or toner deteriorate when they are turned on
but not used?

If you go out and buy an old, used laser printer, yes, that's exactly what
you'll run into.

With the new HP 1200/1300's we've been buying here at the office, they have
something like a 10-15 second delay for the first page out from a cold
start. They also don't appear to emit any heat when sitting idle.

Old November 12th 03, 11:20 PM
Model Flyer

"Iconoclast" wrote in message
Hi Leo

Trouble is, I print maybe five pages B/W per day. Would that work

out with a
laser printer?

Thats nearly two years, toner will last that long without any
problem. just ensure you use the cheapest copier paper instead of
universal paper. The clay in the extra white universal paper - paper
for copiers, lasers and inkjets - accumulates in the insides of the
printer eventually getting into somewhere important and doing damage.
Usually this is damage to the image drum.

I heard that lasers have long start-up (warm-up) periods and have

to be on
all day long. Don't they waste a lot of power when they are on

without being
used? Does the mechanism and/or toner deteriorate when they are

turned on
but not used?

Modern lasers of the Canon and HP brand use ceramic strip type
heaters - the cheaper ones anyway - these provide almost instant
heating, they also go into a sleep mode that uses very little power.
I have a Brother HL-8v, the fuser blew way back in 1994, when I
eventuall bothered to get a new lamp, the toner was still usable.
That's after 7 years sitting on the floor of my office. Damp
conditions would cause the toner to cake, however that wasn't a
problem with mine.
--
Cheers,
don't bother me with insigniciciant nonsence such as spelling,

Thanks for any input

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
-

k.net...

Old November 12th 03, 11:22 PM
Ototin

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:27:40 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:

Trouble is, I print maybe five pages B/W per day. Would that work out with a
laser printer?

I heard that lasers have long start-up (warm-up) periods and have to be on
all day long. Don't they waste a lot of power when they are on without being
used? Does the mechanism and/or toner deteriorate when they are turned on
but not used?

Most modern lasers, espeically lower-end ones, tend to go to sleep when
not used. The fuser warms up fast enough that it is up to temperature by
the time the paper gets to it.

The fuser assembly must be at the correct temperature before the
printer attempts to load a paper for printing.

Old November 13th 03, 03:47 AM
Dewaine Chan

Get a used HP Laserjet 5P (6 page per minute) or HP LJ 6P (8 page per minute).
They use what is called instant on Fuser that the warm up time is not that
long. It will definitely beat your Inkjet printer in finishing printing.
Considering the cost of a good refurbished Toner, you are looking at about 1.5
cents per page average. For the LJ 5P, you coudl easily find a good used one
for around $150 or so for add another $35 or so for a good used LJ 6P. The
memory upgrade for the printers are very cheap (Fast Paging Mode SIMM). They
use parallel port so it is very easy to share it in a SOHO environment. Their
monthly duty cycle is about 7.5 k or so.

D.

Old November 13th 03, 01:43 PM
jbuch

Iconoclast wrote:
I am tired of replacing color cartridges in my Epson cx5200 although I never
use them.

I don't print enough to warrant a laser printer.

Are there any ink-jet printers on the market that print black only, with a
large, refillable cartridge?

I am dreaming again.

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
-

You seem to have gotten some really bum advice on B&W laser printers, as
evidenced by what others have written in reply to your statements.

I still have, but recently mothballed, HP Laserjet IID (D=duplexing for
automatic two sided printing) printers that I acquired for less than
$100 each, usually much less. They put out pages at about 1 cent per
page, and they can sit unused for months or years without significant
problem.

I upgraded these to newer HP Laserjet duplex printers generally for less
than $150 each, sometimes I actually got them for nothing - except then
I had to buy the duplexer and replace the empty toner cartridge.

Yes, at one time, the laser printers were expensive. The list price when
new of my IID and IIID printers was almost $4,000 quite a long time ago.

I hate to see people pay $50 to $90 for a full set of inkjet cartridges
when you can buy a whole laser printer used for about that amount of money.

However, do not buy anything except HP Laserjets or the Canon laser
printers. Canon makes the guts of all of the good HP laserjets, and
always has since about 1985.

I had mistakenly bought an Epson laser printer, based on Minolta laser
printing technology. I would never now buy anything but an HP laser
printer.

Jim

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.