"Hardware Lockdown" when games played on 9600 XT

Old January 18th 04, 02:43 AM
matthew

Default "Hardware Lockdown" when games played on 9600 XT

When I play Unreal 2k3, Halo, Max Payne 2, about 3 minutes into the
game the frame freezes, then gets all fuzzy and exits to windows. In
windows the ATI utility tells me that there was a hardware lockdown
because of bad communications with the card due to the driver. I was
origanally using version 3.8 catalyst drivers, and then I uninstalled
those and installed 3.10 but the problem still persists,
Help!!!!!!!!!!

-Thanks
Old January 18th 04, 09:12 PM
matthew

But why would the games play fine right when they start up if the cards a dud?

We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote in message . ..
New one for me sounds like a dud card,anyone ?

Make sure the card is pushed in all the way

Old February 9th 04, 06:06 AM
Psyke

I have the same problem with my 9600 pro extreme. Runs ok in 4x AGP, but 8X
runs for a minute or so then crashes. 3D Mark 2001 is a good test. Crashes
during the first test in 8x, but runs right through in 4x.
Could be a voltage problem, not sure. I hope it's just a driver issue, as
there may be hope for me too.

Good luck.

Psyke
"Lithurge" wrote in message
(matthew) wrote in
om:

But why would the games play fine right when they start up
if the cards a dud?

It may be that it needs to be pushed a bit first before it
causes problems (heat problems?).

However I found initially with my 9700Pro that I could play
games for a few minutes then they'd lock.

Initial cure was to reduce the agp speed to 4x rather than
8x. Once ATI had released another couple of Cat driver
versions I found I could up it to 8x with no problems.

One day I may reinstall the 3.2's to see if they really were
the problem.