P4800 with I/O Magic DVD+RW drive won't see IDE drive

Old December 18th 03, 05:04 AM
Gary Quiring

Default P4800 with I/O Magic DVD+RW drive won't see IDE drive

I have a P4800 (Bios 1012 11/11/03) with a 120gig Maxtor as the
primary IDE. The slave is a I/O Magic DVD +- writer. The system will
not detect the Maxtor drive (master) when the writer is installed as
slave or cable select. I also tried setting the Maxtor to cable
select.

The system boots fine if I install a HP DVD writer. I tested the I/O
magic in a USB caddy and the drive works fine.

Thanks
Gary Quiring

Old December 18th 03, 01:41 PM
SpongeBob

"Gary Quiring" wrote in message
I have a P4800 (Bios 1012 11/11/03) with a 120gig Maxtor as the
primary IDE. The slave is a I/O Magic DVD +- writer. The system will
not detect the Maxtor drive (master) when the writer is installed as
slave or cable select. I also tried setting the Maxtor to cable
select.

The system boots fine if I install a HP DVD writer. I tested the I/O
magic in a USB caddy and the drive works fine.

Thanks
Gary Quiring

Set the Maxtor as Master on primary IDE channel and put the DVD on the
secondary IDE channel as Master. This should make it work, as well as,
making your hard drive more efficient.

Old December 19th 03, 03:53 AM
Gary Quiring

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:41:52 -0500, "SpongeBob"
wrote:

"Gary Quiring" wrote in message
.. .
I have a P4800 (Bios 1012 11/11/03) with a 120gig Maxtor as the
primary IDE. The slave is a I/O Magic DVD +- writer. The system will
not detect the Maxtor drive (master) when the writer is installed as
slave or cable select. I also tried setting the Maxtor to cable
select.

The system boots fine if I install a HP DVD writer. I tested the I/O
magic in a USB caddy and the drive works fine.

Thanks
Gary Quiring

Set the Maxtor as Master on primary IDE channel and put the DVD on the
secondary IDE channel as Master. This should make it work, as well as,
making your hard drive more efficient.

I am not able to do that because of a distance problem with the
ribbons. My other IDE channel is also used up with two other hard
drives.

What did work was setting the DVD as master and the boot drive as
slave.

Gary

Old December 19th 03, 04:13 PM
SpongeBob

wrote:

[...]

Do you realize that putting the DVD on the same channel as you hard drive
will slow the transfer speed of the hard drive to that of the DVD (UMDA33 or
even worse PIO4).

Old December 20th 03, 08:33 PM
SpongeBob

"Armin Pfeffer" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:13:59 -0500, "SpongeBob"
Do you realize that putting the DVD on the same channel as you hard drive
will slow the transfer speed of the hard drive to that of the DVD (UMDA33

or
even worse PIO4).

Hm, I'm not really sure, but I belive this is wrong with todays ATA
modes! There is however the fact, that only on device can work at a
time, but every device will work at it's speed, regardsless of the
other device. You sholud not have to fear a speed down imho.
Armin

See attached web pages (PC World, Microsoft, VIAArena) on keeping hard
drives on separate channels than optical drives...

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...25,pg,2,00.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default...%2Fcddrive.asp

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=94

Old January 2nd 04, 07:09 PM
lucky

sorry to hijack this thread Spongebob

SpongeBob wrote:

See attached web pages (PC World, Microsoft, VIAArena) on keeping hard
drives on separate channels than optical drives...

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...25,pg,2,00.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default...%2Fcddrive.asp

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=94

I read through the articles and understand I'm not getting optimal
speeds. However, can I assume if I'm happy with the performance of my
computer that it won't really do any harm to keep the cd burner on the
primary slave? I reconfigured everything during my upgrade (had trouble
getting the drives to be recognized) and the burner/ C drive are on the
primary and 2 other HD are on the secondary. Changing this around means
removing the board and rearranging the HD for about the 100th time and I
really don't want to do that. I don't know if my case sucks but there is
no way to take out the HD without swinging the board out. They hit the
p4 fan.

Also I used the HD cable Asus gave me and now am wondering if I should
have hooked up the CD rom cable they gave me to the C drive and cd burner?

Thank you.

Old January 6th 04, 04:46 PM
SpongeBob

. com...

SpongeBob wrote:

[...]

It shouldn't matter if you already have them with your other
cables...although an 80-pin cable would be better than a 40 pin. I'm not
sure what you have now.

If your satisfied and getting frustrated messing with it. Keep it. It will
give you something to do in a few months when you get bored.