International Paper Explained!

Old June 11th 06, 01:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default International Paper Explained!

Listen-up, people.

First of all, thanks to everyone who has given me tips about my inkjets,
especially paper. You know, I went into Staples and discovered that they
have this paper and that paper (lots of thises and thatses). A puzzle is
that the only paper that they sell specifically for inkjets is in the HP
brand, and it's all 24 pound. There's an "all in one" paper that's 22
pound, the only 22# paper I've ever seen, and it seems to be a good idea.

There's also a Staples-brand paper that's sort-of for inkjets, but it
didn't seem trustworthy to me, nor did it seem to be a good value.

For my laser (LED) Okidata, I have been happy using Hammermill Copy Plus
20# for a few years. For me, it's the perfect balance between price and
performance in a laser printer. It's good, inexpensive, and feeds well.

Hammermill is owned by International Paper.

Yesterday, I bought three packs of HP "Color Inkjet" paper. It's on sale
at Office Depot right now (here in Northern California): the usual deal:
three packs for the price of two. That brings it down under $4 per ream:
not bad.

I mean, dig it: since when is Hewlett-Packard a paper manufacturer?
Guess what: HP paper is "made and distributed by International Paper."
It says so right on the package.
Hey y'all: it's all the same company!!!

No wonder that Staples doesn't sell "Hammermill" inkjet paper. It's
because HP paper _is_ Hammermill paper. Looked at another way,
Hammermill inkjet paper exists; just that it doesn't say "Hammermill" on
it; it says "HP." The HP name is used under license only.

Now, unfortunately, we're living in a time when a brand name is
sometimes just a bug that's stuck on someone else's product: it doesn't
mean anything. I have an "IBM" power strip that's really Jasco. I have a
GE phone headset that's really Jasco. There are a bunch of "RCA"
products at Radio Shack that have zilch to do with RCA -- they're
totally Tandy products with the RCA bug on them; and they're totally
Radio Shack quality. And, in fact, both GE and RCA consumer electronic
goods have been wholly-owned by Thomson (a French company manufacturing
mostly in Korea, and then China) for over 20 years.
I recently bought an RCA CD clock radio. It's a genuine Thomson product.
There's no support whatsoever: zilch. The web site only sells
televisions (other links don't work). There's no phone number, except an
obscure one for TVs.
But you can still find non-TV products at retail outlets: Weird.

And now, "HP" paper. Bullcrap!
Except that it's probably good paper. Yup. The scam can be OK.
Weird.

I wonder what Measkite will say about this. I mean, it's the reverse of
his mantra. Here we have a "genuine" HP product that's made by an imposter.
Voodoo!

Richard
Old June 11th 06, 03:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message

No wonder that Staples doesn't sell "Hammermill" inkjet paper. It's
because HP paper _is_ Hammermill paper. Looked at another way, Hammermill
inkjet paper exists; just that it doesn't say "Hammermill" on it; it says
"HP." The HP name is used under license only.

HP may be Hammermill, but Staples still sells Hammermill paper for inkjets.
I have a ream sitting on a shelf about three feet from me.
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...:CG10:CL140781

International Paper is also one of the largest makers of photo paper for
inkjets also, making some of the major brands as well as their own line,
JetPrint Photo. Works well in my Canon printer. The paper made for other
brands is made to the specifications of that brand.

Old June 11th 06, 03:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message

No wonder that Staples doesn't sell "Hammermill" inkjet paper. It's
because HP paper _is_ Hammermill paper. Looked at another way, Hammermill
inkjet paper exists; just that it doesn't say "Hammermill" on it; it says
"HP." The HP name is used under license only.

HP may be Hammermill, but Staples still sells Hammermill paper for inkjets.
I have a ream sitting on a shelf about three feet from me.
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...:CG10:CL140781

It's not carried at my local Staples store. From the specs, it looks
like it may be identical to my HP paper, except that the Hammermill
lists some recycled content -- my HP paper does not.

International Paper is also one of the largest makers of photo paper for
inkjets also, making some of the major brands as well as their own line,
JetPrint Photo. Works well in my Canon printer. The paper made for other
brands is made to the specifications of that brand.

This certainly makes sense. I am not aware of any forests owned by Canon
or Epson.

Richard
Old June 11th 06, 05:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Richard Steinfeld wrote:

Listen-up, people.

First of all, thanks to everyone who has given me tips about my
inkjets, especially paper. You know, I went into Staples and
discovered that they have this paper and that paper (lots of thises
and thatses). A puzzle is that the only paper that they sell
specifically for inkjets is in the HP brand, and it's all 24 pound.
There's an "all in one" paper that's 22 pound, the only 22# paper I've
ever seen, and it seems to be a good idea.

not true. for regular non photo paper they sell hammermill premium
inkjet bright white. this is terriffic and i buy is at staples all of
the time. they also sell hp, epson, and canon photo paper.

[...]

there must be something wrong with your looking. as i said before i go
to many different staples and buy hammermill 24 lb premium inkjet paper
bright white all of the time and it is very good.

[...]

you do not know what you are talking about. staples sells hammermill
premium inkjet paper all of the time. occassionally they give a
discount if you buy two reams.

I mean, it's the reverse of his mantra. Here we have a "genuine" HP
product that's made by an imposter.
Voodoo!

doodoo

Richard

Old June 11th 06, 07:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite wrote:

"not true. for regular non photo paper they sell hammermill premium
inkjet bright white. this is terriffic and i buy is at staples all of
the time. they also sell hp, epson, and canon photo paper.

"there must be something wrong with your looking. as i said before i go
to many different staples and buy hammermill 24 lb premium inkjet paper
bright white all of the time and it is very good.

"you do not know what you are talking about. staples sells hammermill
premium inkjet paper all of the time. occassionally they give a
discount if you buy two reams."

Oh, measekite; in addition to lousy punctution and determined
non-capitalization (you really should learn and then apply the rules of
English writing -- beginning sentences with lower case impresses other
people as stupid), you are guilty, repeatedly, of making generalizations
on the basis of partial information, and then pounding those
generalizations to death over and over and over (like you do based on a
limited range of ink brands).

Staples, like many chains, sells different merchandise in different
regions of the country. Your grand pronouncements are based on the
partial information that is true at Staples stores where you live, but
not where I live. Staples here does not sell Canon nor Epson paper.

Learn to open your mind before opening your mouth.

Richard
Old June 11th 06, 12:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Richard,

You are making a LOT of assumptions here. Yes, HP doesn't make paper,
in fact, neither does Canon, Epson or any of the inkjet manufacturers.
They all contract out to paper mills or fine art paper mills, or coating
companies. Does that mean that al the paper is the same? Hardly.
International paper makes paper for literally dozens if not hundreds of
brand names, including Hammermill.

When you go into the grocery store you may see cornflakes made by
KellTrees (the name was changed to protect the innocent or guilty). You
may also see cornflakes under a "no name brand" or some other name. In
fact, both may be made in KellTrees' factory, but that doesn't mean they
are identical product. No name brand cornflakes may have a different
grade of corn used, more or less sugar, preservatives to further shelf
life because they only contract KellTrees to make their product once
every 6 months, while KellTrees makes cornflakes every day under their
own branding.

The same holds true for paper products. There are many different
components to making paper. The pulp fibers may be longer or shorter,
they may be bleached or use optical brighteners, sizing to change the
surface or absorption, etc. Believe me, HP contracts specific paper
qualities to work best with their inks.

I use literally hundreds of papers, made by a few dozen mills that I
know of, and they have many differing qualities in terms of how they
respond to both laser and inkjet printing. I would be fairly surprised
if the HP bond paper you have purchased is identical to any of the other
International Paper Product papers, let alone Hammermill branded products.

That doesn't mean HP bond paper is necessarily the best on the market
for that type, just that it is probably unique.

Art

Old June 11th 06, 04:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

That's exactly right. Staples carries HP, Hammermill, and their own house
brand. These commodity inkjet and laser papers vary by recycled content,
weight, caliper, brightness, shade, and smoothness. Pick the one that
looks, feels, and works best with your printer. You can call HP or IP to
get specifications and 10 sheet sample packs, and I've seen a Staples sample
pack at the store.

Old June 11th 06, 06:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Richard,

You are making a LOT of assumptions here. Yes, HP doesn't make paper,
in fact, neither does Canon, Epson or any of the inkjet manufacturers.
They all contract out to paper mills or fine art paper mills, or coating
companies. Does that mean that al the paper is the same? Hardly.
International paper makes paper for literally dozens if not hundreds of
brand names, including Hammermill.

You're right -- I expressed this improperly.
What I should have said is that in my local Staples outlet, the HP line
of inkjet papers takes the position of what would be a line of
Hammermill inkjet papers (no other inkjet papers are offered, except one
house brand item).

One curio that I found at the closest Best Buy store was a 22-pound HP
paper "for all-in-one machines." It's said to be good for both inkjet
and laser machines. This sounds contradictory to me.

Richard

Richard
Old June 11th 06, 06:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message
One curio that I found at the closest Best Buy store was a 22-pound HP
paper "for all-in-one machines." It's said to be good for both inkjet and
laser machines. This sounds contradictory to me.

It will work, the questions is how well. I've used all sorts of paper in my
inkjet at work because it was primarily stuff that is used and tossed at the
end of a shift. It does not look as nice as using a 24# bright inkjet
paper though. It serves a purpose cheaply. We use the same cheap paper in
one of the lasers also, because a packing list does not require much beauty.

Old June 11th 06, 07:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Richard Steinfeld wrote:

measekite wrote:

"not true. for regular non photo paper they sell hammermill premium
inkjet bright white. this is terriffic and i buy is at staples all of
the time. they also sell hp, epson, and canon photo paper.

"there must be something wrong with your looking. as i said before i
go to many different staples and buy hammermill 24 lb premium inkjet
paper bright white all of the time and it is very good.

"you do not know what you are talking about. staples sells hammermill
premium inkjet paper all of the time. occassionally they give a
discount if you buy two reams."

snip irrelevant to conversation

.

Staples, like many chains, sells different merchandise in different
regions of the country. Your grand pronouncements are based on the
partial information that is true at Staples stores where you live, but
not where I live. Staples here does not sell Canon nor Epson paper.

Learn to open your mind before opening your mouth.

:-D :-D :-D

maybe you should. staples.com is part of staples. there is one
staples.com for all of staples. here is the entry from staples.com.

this is probably in your store also. most staples have a special order
desk and they can get anything that staples.com has and have it
delievered to the store.

HammerMill® Ultra Premium Inkjet Paper, 8 1/2" x 11", Ream
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=0&storeId=10001& catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=89733&cmArea=SEARCH

* 24 lb.
* 96 US /107+ Euro Bright
* Heavy, uncoated sheets optimize ink absorption and dry time

Expected Delivery
javascriptop('/sbd/content/help/using/delivery_policy_popup.html','',
1);1 Business Day
*$6.89* 500/Ream
select to
compare Qty.
Add to Cart
javascript:addSingleItemtoCart('http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesAddToCart?ts=1150050018686&errorUrl=searchr esults&URL=yourorder&prodCatType=0&storeId=10001&S T_maxLeadTime_1=1&ST_minLeadTime_1=1&catalogId=100 51&langId=-1',
'document.searchResultsForm.quantity_1',
'document.searchResultsForm.partNumber_1',
'document.searchResultsForm.catentryId_1','documen t.searchResultsForm.cmArea_1','N')
Add to Favorites
javascript:addSingleItemToFavorites('http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesAddToFavorite?ts=1150050018686&errorUrl=sea rchresults&URL=yourorder&prodCatType=0&storeId=100 01&ST_maxLeadTime_1=1&ST_minLeadTime_1=1&catalogId =10051&langId=-1',
'511242' , 89733)

* Letter Size (8.5" x 11")

Richard