Ping Skid - project problems.

Old November 28th 03, 03:14 PM
GHenry Hide

Default Ping Skid - project problems.

Hi Skid,

We haven't talked in sometime. As you may remember I set up a system
just like yours except that I have a 2.6c instead of a 2.4. I did
fine to begin with and then the mobo went bad. Before it did I had
the system running easily @ 3.25. Well, it got to where the mobo
would not hold the settings and I returned it and reinstalled it
again.

I just tried to oc the system to 3.0 and all I got was one great big
alarm. So, I reset the cmos and it is working fine at 2.26. Got any
clues on how I can get this bugger up to say 3.25 again. I am still
using the stock fan but I have a vantec aeroflow on order and it
should be here in a day or two.

Incidently one of the things I found out the hard way is that XP is
the only ms os that will support hyper threading. Win2k which I was
using will not do it. I now have XP pro.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Henry Hide.
Old November 30th 03, 08:36 PM
Skid

Sorry Henry, but I've forgetten what kind of ram you have. To get your 2.6
to 3.25 you'll need an fsb of 250, and unless you have PC4000 ram that
likely means a 5:4 ratio.

Starting from there, with the ram set to "by spd," raise the cpu and memory
voltage a tick or two and see where you stand.

Old December 10th 03, 11:11 PM
Henry Hide

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:36:17 GMT, "Skid"
wrote:

Hi Skid, sorry to be so long in answering. I have Kingston HyperX
pc3700. Since I spoke to you I changed the dram ration to 5/4 and the
system will now oc to about 3.1 with a few problems. Errors pop up
every now and again. When I push highe to 3.25 on a 1000 fsb it
reboots in XP. The first board before it went bad would easily get to
3.25. Just shows that all boards are not the same. What would happen
if I changed the ratio to 3/2? Would that help? What cpu voltage?
I'd really like to get it to 3.25 at least. It should be capable of
that.

I appreciate i\any assistance.

Henry Hide
Sorry Henry, but I've forgetten what kind of ram you have. To get your 2.6
to 3.25 you'll need an fsb of 250, and unless you have PC4000 ram that
likely means a 5:4 ratio.

Starting from there, with the ram set to "by spd," raise the cpu and memory
voltage a tick or two and see where you stand.

.. .

Old December 12th 03, 05:32 PM
Skid

"Henry Hide" wrote in message
news
Hi Skid, sorry to be so long in answering. I have Kingston HyperX
pc3700. Since I spoke to you I changed the dram ration to 5/4 and the
system will now oc to about 3.1 with a few problems. Errors pop up
every now and again. When I push highe to 3.25 on a 1000 fsb it
reboots in XP. The first board before it went bad would easily get to
3.25. Just shows that all boards are not the same. What would happen
if I changed the ratio to 3/2? Would that help? What cpu voltage?
I'd really like to get it to 3.25 at least. It should be capable of
that.

I appreciate i\any assistance.

Stick at 5:4. At an fsb of 250, the ram should be at only 200, well below
PC3700 limits. Raise the DDR voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 and loosen ram timings.
If you're at SPD settings of 2.5,3,3,8, for example, try 3,4,4,8 for test
purposes. You can always put them back once you have the cpu at peak speed.
Might test ram sticks separately and move them around to make sure the
errors aren't isolated to one bad stick or a flakey DIMM slot.

Raising cpu core voltage may get you over the hump. I wouldn't go over 1.6v
myself, and watch those temps.

If the cpu did 3.25 before, it should now. Use the bios guide at
www.rojakpot.com, first to experiment with fail-safe settings to establish
your OC limit and then to tweak every last scrap of performance.

If at first you don't succeed, come back and hammer it again.

Old December 13th 03, 06:06 AM
Henry Hide

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:32:34 GMT, "Skid"
wrote:

Hi again, Skid, I haven't had a chance to try the new setting you've
recommened but I will shortly. One thing I have noticed is that the
cpu temperature is lower than it has been lately with the stock fan.
About 45 when I first boot up and then it will go to maybe 47 to 49.
Under load it is something like 51 to 53. Coult that be an indication
that something is wrong?

TIA
HH

news

Old December 13th 03, 03:04 PM
Skid

wrote:

Hi again, Skid, I haven't had a chance to try the new setting you've
recommened but I will shortly. One thing I have noticed is that the
cpu temperature is lower than it has been lately with the stock fan.
About 45 when I first boot up and then it will go to maybe 47 to 49.
Under load it is something like 51 to 53. Coult that be an indication
that something is wrong?

That's an indication it's working just like it's supposed to. It takes a
little while for the thermal pad to set and work to maximum efficiency.
Temps usally go down a couple of degrees when that happens.

Yours are right where I'd expect them to be. Mine are about the same, though
I have a better than stock cooler I overclock a bit higher.

Salvage Server Project Ablang General 0 July 27th 04 02:30 AM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company Overclocking 5 December 7th 03 05:54 AM
Ping Skid BigStan Overclocking 2 November 18th 03 11:59 AM
Ping Skid - wierd stuff is happening here. Henry Hide Overclocking 5 October 22nd 03 03:33 PM
Ping Skid - well, here I go . . . . . . . Henry Hide Overclocking 3 October 20th 03 06:10 PM