Scanning advice

Old August 24th 04, 06:46 PM
Konstantinopel

Default Scanning advice

I've got some yellow paper I want to copy. I tried to scan and print it on
white paper, but that yellow printed doesn't match the original at all.

I tried to scan it gray and black/white, but I can still see the yellow as a
grayed area, so I can't print it at all. (I want to print it on blanco
yellow paper.)

Here is what I tried to copy: http://www.konstantinopel.nl/PCDV0024.JPG .

Could someone give me a clue?

Many thanks!
Old August 24th 04, 07:10 PM
Wayne Fulton

In article ,
says...

I've got some yellow paper I want to copy. I tried to scan and print it on
white paper, but that yellow printed doesn't match the original at all.

Doesnt match how? If the yellow comes out too light, near white, then that
is the auto adjustments working, assuming the paper (actually meaning the
lightest areas) was white, not knowing it should be yellow. If so, a manual
(non-auto) scan can help, by preventing lowering the White Point so much.

I tried to scan it gray and black/white, but I can still see the yellow as a
grayed area, so I can't print it at all. (I want to print it on blanco
yellow paper.)

Here the opposite idea - you can manually lower the White Point even more to
push the light gray more towards white, so that it disappears (assuming no
light detail you need to retain). For WhitePoint info, see the material at
http://www.scantips.com/simple.html

If there is no lighter detail you need to retain, then scanning in line art
mode will do that, so that everything is either fully black or fully white
(white meaning "no ink", being yellow when printed on yellow paper). This
may be appropriate for your goal. The tonal values will be far less exact,
but result likely better. The threshold adjustment will give control over
the middle gray stuff printing to be either white or as black. For line
art/threshold info, see http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

Here is what I tried to copy: http://www.konstantinopel.nl/PCDV0024.JPG .

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Old August 24th 04, 09:21 PM
Konstantinopel

On 24-Aug-2004, Wayne Fulton wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've got some yellow paper I want to copy. I tried to scan and print it
on
white paper, but that yellow printed doesn't match the original at all.

Doesnt match how? If the yellow comes out too light, near white, then
that
is the auto adjustments working, assuming the paper (actually meaning the
lightest areas) was white, not knowing it should be yellow. If so, a
manual
(non-auto) scan can help, by preventing lowering the White Point so much.

That kind of yellow seems to me to be 'unscannable', something...
If I did a scan of the yellow paper with the text, and could print it on
white paper,
that would be fine.

I tried to scan it gray and black/white, but I can still see the yellow
as a
grayed area, so I can't print it at all. (I want to print it on blanco
yellow paper.)

Here the opposite idea - you can manually lower the White Point even more
push the light gray more towards white, so that it disappears (assuming no
light detail you need to retain). For WhitePoint info, see the material
at
http://www.scantips.com/simple.html

Worth a shot, however I'm not too familair with image processing tools like
psp.

If there is no lighter detail you need to retain, then scanning in line
art
mode will do that, so that everything is either fully black or fully white
(white meaning "no ink", being yellow when printed on yellow paper). This
may be appropriate for your goal. The tonal values will be far less exact,
but result likely better. The threshold adjustment will give control
over
the middle gray stuff printing to be either white or as black. For line
art/threshold info, see http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

It's black and gray printed on yellow. Maybe there is some way to convert
everything in the range of yellow to white, and leave the rest of the colors
what they be? I'm having an option in my image program to change red,
blue and green colors, but unfortunately they don't do the job.

Here is what I tried to copy: http://www.konstantinopel.nl/PCDV0024.JPG .

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

I'll soon be figuring out, thanks for your help!