Dim 45550 1G Limit?

Old August 12th 09, 10:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales[_2_]

Default Dim 45550 1G Limit?

From: S.Lewis ]
Posted At: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:04 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Dim 45550 1G Limit?

"Boris" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 7:13 am, "Frank Haber" wrote:
A client's call about his old 4550-533's RAM prompted trips to

Dell
and
Crucial, both of which said, "two slots, 1G total max." Anyone

tried
more?
Seems out of line with the other machines of the era, which

could
use
1G
DDR
for 2G total.

-frank

According to crucial, the 4550-400 MHz FSB will accept up to 2GB

RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...on%204550%20(4

00MHz%20FSB)&pl=Dell&cat=

The 4550-533 MHz FSB will accept up to 1GB RAM

Makes sense then and seems reasonable. *Dell didn't update their

docs
beyond
the first generation board/FSB.

No, it doesn't make sense (sorry). *The 400 is the early model and

the
533 is the later model (the CPUs improved). *This is backwards.

I have the 533 and it accepts 2GB.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting. I wondered why an earlier, slower FSB would accept more
RAM than a newer, faster FSB, but didn't want to ask. I just assumed
there were other factors about which I knew nothing. I have a 533,
with 1GB RAM, and wanted to beef it up so Picasa/Windows Explorer
would show more thumbnails faster as I scrolled down. But, I see that
I'd have to put out about $100 to get two sticks of 1GB RAM each.

Tom, just in case, did you use the same spec RAM for your 533 FSB that
Crucial calls out for the 400 FSB? (My 4550 is still my favorite
machine for general, workhorse use.)

I haven't a clue. That machine is in a closet somewhere right now.
Sorry.

Old August 12th 09, 11:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Boris" wrote in message
[...]

We're not in disagreement.

But the thread has become a train crash - glad to do my part in that - so
I'm butting out.

Old August 12th 09, 12:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

My 4550 has 2GB. Unfortunately, I don't remember if I have the 533. I
believe it was a post on this group, at least 6+ months back that gave
me
the courage to try it. No problems. I bought the ram on sale at Best
Buy
and have 2x 1GB sticks (3200, I think).

HTH. Cynthia

It's most likely 533 (PC2700)...but you can enter the BIOS and find
out!

bob_v
Old August 12th 09, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Bob Villa wrote:
My 4550 has 2GB. Unfortunately, I don't remember if I have the 533. I

believe it was a post on this group, at least 6+ months back that gave
me
the courage to try it. No problems. I bought the ram on sale at Best
Buy
and have 2x 1GB sticks (3200, I think).

HTH. Cynthia

It's most likely 533 (PC2700)...but you can enter the BIOS and find
out!

bob_v

True. The best and newest 845 chipset supported 533 FSB (PC2100
memory). If you put good quality PC2700 or PC3200 into a 4550, the
chipset runs the memory at the slower clock speed... Ben Myers
Old August 13th 09, 12:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Frank Haber

And thank you all, I guess. I shall tell the client to put on his flak suit
and only try 2G if it falls off a truck, free, not if it costs $80-90.

(Retiring in awe.)

RAM limit? [email protected] General 3 January 18th 09 08:01 PM
1 Mb limit of dos [email protected] Storage (alternative) 3 March 27th 06 12:49 AM
137 GB Limit - HW or SW? Al Homebuilt PC's 23 March 2nd 05 08:04 PM
Is this the limit? Renegade Overclocking 8 October 7th 03 02:10 AM
Is this the limit? Renegade Overclocking AMD Processors 8 October 7th 03 02:10 AM