Dim 45550 1G Limit?

Old August 11th 09, 11:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Dim 45550 1G Limit?

Daddy wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 11, 10:52 am, "Cynthia G"
wrote:
"Frank Haber" wrote in message

...A client's call
about his old 4550-533's RAM prompted trips to Dell and
Crucial, both of which said, "two slots, 1G total max." Anyone
tried more?
Seems out of line with the other machines of the era, which could
use 1G
DDR for 2G total.
-frank
My 4550 has 2GB. Unfortunately, I don't remember if I have the 533. I
believe it was a post on this group, at least 6+ months back that
gave me
the courage to try it. No problems. I bought the ram on sale at
Best Buy
and have 2x 1GB sticks (3200, I think).

HTH. Cynthia

Dell forums say 2Gb and I believe...Ben Myers agrees with that
accessment as far as the M/B is concerned.
bob_v

Instead of taking guesses, why not just lookup the user manual on Dell's
website:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...cs.htm#1103227

where you'll find that the maximum memory is 1 GB.

Daddy

Well, yeah, but what if the user manual was produced before 1GB DDR was
ever available? And Dell, like everyone else, rarely bothers to update
its user manuals? Not everything written is dead accurate.

Anyway, the Dimension 4550 has an Intel 845 chipset capable of
supporting 2GB of memory, and it does. Really. Seen it with my own
eyes... Ben Myers
Old August 11th 09, 11:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Daddy wrote:
chuckle I forgot...this group is filled with conspiracy theorists who
always think 'the man' is hiding the truth.

Daddy

WSZsr wrote:
That only indicates the max ram that was shipped with the system by
Dell - not necessarily the actual maximum.

"Daddy" wrote in message
Instead of taking guesses, why not just lookup the user manual on
Dell's website:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...cs.htm#1103227

where you'll find that the maximum memory is 1 GB.

Daddy

Nope. Many of us are from Missouri, the "show-me" state. Pragmatists
and realists at heart... Ben Myers
Old August 12th 09, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wallen[_2_]

On 8/11/2009 3:47 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
Daddy wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

Dell's website:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...cs.htm#1103227

where you'll find that the maximum memory is 1 GB.

Daddy

Well, yeah, but what if the user manual was produced before 1GB DDR was
ever available? And Dell, like everyone else, rarely bothers to update
its user manuals? Not everything written is dead accurate.

Anyway, the Dimension 4550 has an Intel 845 chipset capable of
supporting 2GB of memory, and it does. Really. Seen it with my own
eyes... Ben Myers

They produced 2 different models with different FSBs and therefor
different memory limits. I had the 1g model and my son had the the 2g
model.

Old August 12th 09, 12:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

On Aug 11, 7:13*am, "Frank Haber" wrote:
A client's call about his old 4550-533's RAM prompted trips to Dell and
Crucial, both of which said, "two slots, 1G total max." *Anyone tried more?
Seems out of line with the other machines of the era, which could use 1G DDR
for 2G total.

-frank

According to crucial, the 4550-400 MHz FSB will accept up to 2GB RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...)&pl=Dell&cat=

The 4550-533 MHz FSB will accept up to 1GB RAM
Old August 12th 09, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Boris" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 7:13 am, "Frank Haber" wrote:
A client's call about his old 4550-533's RAM prompted trips to Dell and
Crucial, both of which said, "two slots, 1G total max." Anyone tried more?
Seems out of line with the other machines of the era, which could use 1G
DDR
for 2G total.

-frank

According to crucial, the 4550-400 MHz FSB will accept up to 2GB RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...)&pl=Dell&cat=

The 4550-533 MHz FSB will accept up to 1GB RAM

Makes sense then and seems reasonable. Dell didn't update their docs beyond
the first generation board/FSB.

Old August 12th 09, 02:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

S.Lewis wrote:
"Boris" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 7:13 am, "Frank Haber" wrote:
A client's call about his old 4550-533's RAM prompted trips to Dell and
Crucial, both of which said, "two slots, 1G total max." Anyone tried more?
Seems out of line with the other machines of the era, which could use 1G
DDR
for 2G total.

-frank

According to crucial, the 4550-400 MHz FSB will accept up to 2GB RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...)&pl=Dell&cat=

The 4550-533 MHz FSB will accept up to 1GB RAM

Makes sense then and seems reasonable. Dell didn't update their docs beyond
the first generation board/FSB.

Why argue with me? I didn't write the documentation. Dell probably had
no interest in selling customers an extra gig of (overpriced) memory, so
they didn't bother updating their documentation, hoping nobody would
notice. You're busted, Dell!

By all means, install what you want and enjoy it in the best of health.

Daddy
Old August 12th 09, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"Boris" wrote in message
[...]

whiskey tango foxtrot.

Wholly schitt, dude........when I'm arguing with you, you'll know it.

If you'll check my first post I was actually wrong in believing the
documentation from Dell and Crucial.

The key here is that I forgot that there was a 400FSB version of the 4550
early on.

The system was boosted out in a hurry by Dell because it had an increased
number of USB ports over the 4500 model (also a 400mhz FSB system) as well
as USB 2.0 on those ports.

Old August 12th 09, 03:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales[_2_]

Posted At: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:04 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Dim 45550 1G Limit?
Subject: Dim 45550 1G Limit?

"Boris" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 7:13 am, "Frank Haber" wrote:
A client's call about his old 4550-533's RAM prompted trips to Dell

and
Crucial, both of which said, "two slots, 1G total max." Anyone tried

more?
Seems out of line with the other machines of the era, which could

use
1G
DDR
for 2G total.

-frank

According to crucial, the 4550-400 MHz FSB will accept up to 2GB RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...on%204550%20(4
00MHz%20FSB)&pl=Dell&cat=

The 4550-533 MHz FSB will accept up to 1GB RAM

Makes sense then and seems reasonable. Dell didn't update their docs
beyond
the first generation board/FSB.

No, it doesn't make sense (sorry). The 400 is the early model and the
533 is the later model (the CPUs improved). This is backwards.

I have the 533 and it accepts 2GB.

Old August 12th 09, 03:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

S.Lewis wrote:
"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"Boris" wrote in message
[...]

'Why argue with me' wasn't directed at you, Stew.

Daddy
Old August 12th 09, 06:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

"Boris" wrote in message
[...]

I have the 533 and it accepts 2GB.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting. I wondered why an earlier, slower FSB would accept more
RAM than a newer, faster FSB, but didn't want to ask. I just assumed
there were other factors about which I knew nothing. I have a 533,
with 1GB RAM, and wanted to beef it up so Picasa/Windows Explorer
would show more thumbnails faster as I scrolled down. But, I see that
I'd have to put out about $100 to get two sticks of 1GB RAM each.

Tom, just in case, did you use the same spec RAM for your 533 FSB that
Crucial calls out for the 400 FSB? (My 4550 is still my favorite
machine for general, workhorse use.)

RAM limit? [email protected] General 3 January 18th 09 08:01 PM
1 Mb limit of dos [email protected] Storage (alternative) 3 March 27th 06 12:49 AM
137 GB Limit - HW or SW? Al Homebuilt PC's 23 March 2nd 05 08:04 PM
Is this the limit? Renegade Overclocking 8 October 7th 03 02:10 AM
Is this the limit? Renegade Overclocking AMD Processors 8 October 7th 03 02:10 AM