Hitachi hts424030m9at00

Old August 10th 09, 08:18 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Deodiaus[_2_]

Default Hitachi hts424030m9at00

The HD shows up in the BIOS on the HP Pavilion.
It is the only HD on that IDE ribbon cable (there are two slots on the
MB, maybe I'll try swapping them).
BTW, I did see it show up once (as file format RAW) before running the
DFT.
Now, when I use partition table editor, I get "error reading MBR at
the specified sector!"
Old August 10th 09, 05:30 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Deodiaus wrote:
The HD shows up in the BIOS on the HP Pavilion.
It is the only HD on that IDE ribbon cable (there are two slots on the
MB, maybe I'll try swapping them).
BTW, I did see it show up once (as file format RAW) before running the
DFT.
Now, when I use partition table editor, I get "error reading MBR at
the specified sector!"

One possibility is to take your Windows install CD, boot it up in repair
mode, and from the command line fix the master boot record, which
appears to have been damaged. After that, one hopes you can see the
partition table... Ben Myers
Old August 10th 09, 06:00 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:18:27 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

The HD shows up in the BIOS on the HP Pavilion.
It is the only HD on that IDE ribbon cable (there are two slots on the
MB, maybe I'll try swapping them).
BTW, I did see it show up once (as file format RAW) before running the
DFT.
Now, when I use partition table editor, I get "error reading MBR at
the specified sector!"

Just to add to Ben's post before mine, this link might aid in
following Ben's advice....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
Old August 10th 09, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:44:28 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have a 6 yr old Dell inspiration 2200 but my HD [hitachi
hts424030m9at00] died.
1) I got an adapter and plugged it into another desktop. It is
detected by the bios, but not by WinXP. Are there any good
recommended web sites which might discuss ways to try to recover info
off that HD? I don't want to pay too much, as I doubt that info is
worth a lot, but it is worth something.
2) If I were to buy another HD, is there any way to go about getting
a version of WinXP for that laptop? If I call up Dell, I doubt that
they will give me a WinXP cd, for they stopped including the CDs with
their PC years ago?

(crosspost slashed)

Why? I read most posts and so far so good.
Old August 10th 09, 07:01 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
C.Joseph Drayton

On 8/9/2009 8:07 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
On Jul 29, 9:15 pm, Barry wrote:
What kind of "adapter"? The situation is hopeless if the drive is not
detected, but there are different levels of "detection". Is it an IDE or
SATA drive?

It is a 2.5 to 3.5" hard drive adapter which allows you to plug you
laptop HD into a desktop IDE adaptor. see
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

I have a HP Pavillion a1632x desktop running WinXP (not the target
machine)
I was able to see another (the replacement) Hitachi hts424030m9at00
HD when it was formatted by (Fedora Core 9 ) linux but not the HD
which was formatted as FAT32 by WinXP (by the Dell Inspiration 2200).

Shouldn't I be able to see the HD from Windows Explorer?

If the drive was not assigned a letter, it could be there and Windows
KNOWS t there but Windows Explorer won't show it.

To see if that is the case, run the Computer Management MSC.

Once it has loaded, click on 'Disk Management' in the left pane of the
window.

If you see the drive in the right pane, right-click on it and choose
'Change Drive Letter and Paths'. Assign a letter, then the drive will be
visible in WIndows Explorer.

Sincerely,
C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T

CSD Computer Services

Web site: http://csdcs.site90.net/
E-mail:

Old August 11th 09, 01:34 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On Jul 29, 9:15 pm, Barry wrote:
[...]

Hardly! If the "drive" has no letter, it means that the drive does not
have at least one partition of a type known to and recognized by Windows
XP, i.e. NTFS, FAT32, or (rarely) FAT16. Windows XP Disk Management
will show which space is allocated and to which partitions. Or to no
partition at all. If there is no known partition, you can't assign a
drive letter.

As an example, a drive with Linux partition on it will not show up in
Windows, because Windows is incapable of reading a Linux file system.

Yet another example: The diagnostic partition found on the
factory-loaded hard drives of many Dell computers has a partition type
of 0xDF, IIRC. It is a "hidden" partition, which really means that
Windows does not know about it. But it is really a FAT32 partition with
data organized exactly like FAT32, and a partition type changed so that
users will not muck around with it.

Okay? ... Ben Myers
Old August 11th 09, 01:48 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Jul 29, 9:15 pm, Barry wrote:
[...]

Almost correct. You can hide a drive with hacking tho most don't know
about this. I learned about it when I was looking into encryption.

As an example, a drive with Linux partition on it will not show up in
Windows, because Windows is incapable of reading a Linux file system.

No sure here but this sounds correct to me but the OP said above that
he was able to see another HD formatted by linux. I don't understand
how tho.

Yet another example: The diagnostic partition found on the
factory-loaded hard drives of many Dell computers has a partition type
of 0xDF, IIRC. It is a "hidden" partition, which really means that
Windows does not know about it. But it is really a FAT32 partition with
data organized exactly like FAT32, and a partition type changed so that
users will not muck around with it.

Okay? ... Ben Myers

Ph.D. ? In computer services? Interesting.

I know you are correct about the drive type tho I don't recall the
exact callout that Dell uses right now. I found out the hard way when
my Partition Manager and Acronis couldn't access it once. I forgot
now if they could even see it. I remember after I found out, I
manually changed a test partition to the same that Dell used and it
too became untouchable by windows.
Old August 11th 09, 03:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Happy Oyster" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:48:42 -0500, RnR wrote:

Ph.D. ? In computer services? Interesting.

Sure. Life is tough...

The problem with hidden partitions is that they are hidden - and such
idiotic
things like Windows insist on being on a certain partition IN RELATION to
others.

I found out that using the installation DVD for SuSE is better to use than
many
acclaimed tools.

The problem with those tools is that they do not tell you what they
actually do
or what their "description" REALLY is about.

The installation DVD has the point or "organizing" the HDDs - or whatever
they
call it. Background is that they make partitions.

The installer is damned stupid and would mess up each time. So do not
follow it
"advices"!!!

The thing to use is the "expert" part where the existing partition table
can be
loaded with. Do load the existing partition tables from the HDDs and look
at
them. THERE you will see what really is going on.

A good way to prevent partitions from being messed up is to change their
type.
You do not have to hide them or to overwrite them. Just change the type to
something really strange. So, to prevent Windows XP from messing up a
partition,
just declare it as some type of unix. ;O)

After the installation work with the Windows OS is done, make the change
of that
partitions back to the real type.

This method is easy.

If one knows how to use the "rescue" part of the SuSE installation DVD,
the
better. There you have more tools at hand.

--
**** WARNING **** The web-hoster Globat.com steals money from your
credit card account. If you are a customer of Globat.com, never give

Old August 11th 09, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
kony

wrote:

Hardly! If the "drive" has no letter, it means that the drive does not
have at least one partition of a type known to and recognized by Windows
XP, i.e. NTFS, FAT32, or (rarely) FAT16.

Not necessarily true, when a new drive is detected if you
cancel the new disk wizard I've seen cases where a drive did
have a viable NTFS or FAT32 partition and data but did not
have a drive letter assigned yet.

Hitachi 7K1000 Alexander Homebuilt PC's 2 August 9th 07 11:33 PM
Hitachi firmware Erwin van Bilsen Storage & Hardrives 3 August 13th 05 01:16 AM
Hitachi TagmaStore? Tim Storage & Hardrives 5 February 24th 05 02:14 PM
Hitachi DVD Kabi Homebuilt PC's 4 January 17th 05 04:15 PM
HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-8000 RDBrimmer Gateway Computers 0 December 13th 03 04:19 AM