GeForce 5950 Question

Old May 22nd 04, 10:28 PM
Gus Lane

Default GeForce 5950 Question

I just bought the 5950. As I always do I let the machine run for at least
24hrs straight just to make sure everything is working right. The card shuts
down after about 7-9 hours of continuous game usage.

I opened the machine and the card was very hot. I'm operating with a 400w
PSU. Would this be a power issue or a cooling issue?

Thanks
Gus

Old May 23rd 04, 02:36 PM
empireAA

"Gus Lane" wrote in message
et...
I just bought the 5950. As I always do I let the machine run for at least
24hrs straight just to make sure everything is working right. The card

shuts
down after about 7-9 hours of continuous game usage.

I opened the machine and the card was very hot. I'm operating with a 400w
PSU. Would this be a power issue or a cooling issue?

Thanks
Gus

Was your fan on the card even running and are there any heatsinks on the
RAM? And a 400 watt PSU should have no problems with the 5900.

Old July 14th 04, 01:31 PM
Nom

Gus Lane wrote:
I just bought the 5950. As I always do I let the machine run for at
least 24hrs straight just to make sure everything is working right.
The card shuts down after about 7-9 hours of continuous game usage.

I opened the machine and the card was very hot.

This is almost certainly why your card has died (according to your later
post)

Old July 14th 04, 09:33 PM
CapFusion

"Nom" wrote in message
Gus Lane wrote:
I just bought the 5950. As I always do I let the machine run for at
least 24hrs straight just to make sure everything is working right.
The card shuts down after about 7-9 hours of continuous game usage.

I opened the machine and the card was very hot.

This is almost certainly why your card has died (according to your later
post)

7-9hrs of continous play or run should not cause the card to become faulty.
I normally will let my bench PC to test for 24hrs. Depending what item I am
testing. FX5950 should be very good and reliable card. You can use 3DMark03
and have it set the highest res etc... that your monitor can support and
have everything turn on. Run it over night. The card should still running
warm without any currupt or problem.

CapFusion,...

Old July 14th 04, 09:55 PM
Gus Lane

That's what I thought. The card runs hot, but nothing that causes the temp
controls to give me a warning.

Thanks
Gus Lane

Old July 15th 04, 08:41 AM
Nom

CapFusion wrote:
"Nom" wrote in message
Gus Lane wrote:
I just bought the 5950. As I always do I let the machine run for at
least 24hrs straight just to make sure everything is working right.
The card shuts down after about 7-9 hours of continuous game usage.

I opened the machine and the card was very hot.

This is almost certainly why your card has died (according to your
later post)

7-9hrs of continous play or run should not cause the card to become
faulty.

Agreed.

I was referring to the "card was very hot" ! Excessive heat can and will
cause damage.

Old July 15th 04, 05:54 PM
CapFusion

"Nom" wrote in message

Agreed.

I was referring to the "card was very hot" ! Excessive heat can and will
cause damage.

Excessive heat will cause damage to anything, not just VGA card.
FX5950 should not feel that hot. Check if the cooling is well / firmly
seated. Look from the surface view and see if it tilted to one side or
bearly touching it ... etc.

CapFusion,...