5900 128 vs 256, whats the biggest differance?

Old July 15th 04, 01:07 AM
Buckshot

Default 5900 128 vs 256, whats the biggest differance?

Sorry I keep asking questions, I was going to try to order this card before
the end of this week and well, I don't know what to get.

Buck

Old July 15th 04, 10:30 AM
Leodiensian

"Buckshot" wrote in message ...
Sorry I keep asking questions, I was going to try to order this card before
the end of this week and well, I don't know what to get.

Buck

I'd like to know the answer to this question too! I'm about to go for
the Gainward 5900XT Golden Sample. But what are the advantages of
256Mb? Which sorts of games most benefit from extra video RAM?

Old July 15th 04, 11:24 AM
jafar

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:07:13 -0400, Buckshot wrote:

Sorry I keep asking questions, I was going to try to order this card before
the end of this week and well, I don't know what to get.

Buck

Join the club. I'm also confused by Nvidia cards
The main advantage of having 256mb is that you can run games at higher
resolution more smoothly. This is most important when you turn on FSAA as
apparently, that tends to eat memory.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

Old July 15th 04, 06:25 PM
CapFusion

"jafar" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:07:13 -0400, Buckshot wrote:

Sorry I keep asking questions, I was going to try to order this card

before
the end of this week and well, I don't know what to get.

Buck

Join the club. I'm also confused by Nvidia cards
The main advantage of having 256mb is that you can run games at higher
resolution more smoothly. This is most important when you turn on FSAA as
apparently, that tends to eat memory.

Welp, more memory is alway good to have. If the price of those 128 and 256
only have small spread, then of course get the 256MB sound better. More
memory will provide better / smooth game play at higher res.

It all depend on what you going to do with the VGA card and your whole PC
setup. If mainly deal with intensive 3D, more mem. will run smoother /
better. Any data that need to be store will be store on the VGA card mem.
instead on your PC system mem or still not enough, then it will store on
your PC HD.
Mem speed:
VGA - Fastest
PC - slow / mid
HD - Slowest
Better to have graphic data hold on VGA mem.

If your PC is a slow box, you can have ton of memory on your vga card will
still bottleneck. Or the VGA is idling to process while VGA mem is empty.
But if you have a fast efficient PC and slow VGA card, having 256MB will
still not be enough and store on PC mem or HD. It really depend on how it
can handle and efficient it process the data.
Having 256MB or higher is good to have.
Having 128MB is not consider bad either.
It all boil down to your wallet and what it saying.

Take your local DMV / INS / or any government agency for example. They can
open 100 windows to be process but still have long line. When the seat /
room inside is full, they may need to wait outside the room or even on the
street. But if they have an efficient way of doing it / system, open 5
windows will be ok as people come in without the long wait.
Get a general idea / picture?

Note -
Windows = Amount of Memory
People = Data
Room / seat etc = area of storage.

CapFusion,...

Old July 15th 04, 07:12 PM
CapFusion

"GTS" wrote in message
Call of Duty is one game that specifies a 256mb VGA card for the highest
graphics settings :"Video cards with 256MB of video RAM are able to use

the
Extra Character & General Textures settings".

Heehe...
Ok.... I guess this game is an exception if one need this extra feature.

CapFusion,...