I need a suggestion

Old October 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Il MeRoViNgIo

Default I need a suggestion

Hy i'm going to a electronic exopo at the end of the month and i was
thinking about having another computer.
CAn you tell me the ebst hardware i can buy?
AMD or INTEL for the processor??
Thanx!!

Old October 17th 06, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Vanguard

"Il MeRoViNgIo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hy i'm going to a electronic exopo at the end of the month and i was
thinking about having another computer.
CAn you tell me the ebst hardware i can buy?
AMD or INTEL for the processor??
Thanx!!

We are (well, I am) to help, not to train. You've got a couple weeks
so start reading up on the hardware. I can't imagine why you think
you'll be buying a computer at an "expo" if that is indeed what you
will be attending. Sounds more like you're just going to some
computer sales show at the state fairgrounds.

Old October 17th 06, 08:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article .com, "Il
MeRoViNgIo" wrote:

Hy i'm going to a electronic exopo at the end of the month and i was
thinking about having another computer.
CAn you tell me the ebst hardware i can buy?
AMD or INTEL for the processor??
Thanx!!

CPU benchmarks:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=471&chart=171

CPU info:
http://www.amdcompare.com
http://processorfinder.intel.com

Graphics benchmarks:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Graphics parameters:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

For AMD:

Athlon64 X2 dual core processor "Windsor", for socket AM2.
DDR2 memory
PCI Express video card
450W or 500W power supply (name brand Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, Fortron/Sparkle)
Motherboard with AM2 socket, PCI express video (Nvidia chipset)

For Intel:

Intel "Core 2 Duo" dual core processor "Conroe/Allendale", for socket LGA775
(E6300 and E6400 are Allendale. E6600, E6700 are Conroe. Conroe has 4MB cache.)
DDR2 memory
PCI Express video card
450W or 500W power supply (name brand Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, Fortron/Sparkle)
Motherboard with LGA775 socket, PCI express video (Intel 975/965 chipset)

Check the prices of the motherboards and processors, before you go
to the fair. The sales at the fair might not be as much of a
bargain as you think. Write up some notes on a piece of paper,
as to how expensive the stuff should be.

When at the fair, buy processor and motherboard. Buy only one
stick of RAM, and make it a slow speed grade. I would recommend
one 512MB stick of DDR2-533 (PC2-4300) RAM. That RAM should be
trouble free when you get it home. Open the motherboard box,
and read the manual. The manual will tell you about all sorts
of more expensive RAM you can buy. More expensive RAM would be
2x1GB DDR2-800 (PC2-6400). You can easily pay hundreds of
dollars for the expensive RAM, and it may not work immediately,
until the BIOS is upgraded with the flash upgrade tool. The
single stick of DDR2-533 is to allow your computer to work
immediately when you get home. If you are on a budget, then
running 2x512MB sticks of the DDR2-533 in dual channel mode,
might be a good compromise. The sticks should match, for least
trouble (i.e. if you don't know anything about RAM, buy two
of the exact same type).

To find a good brand of power supply, you may not find one at the
fair, and the power supplies at the fair could be bad ones. Look
for a name brand supply, even if you have to buy it at a store.

Conroe/Allendale will give better performance, if you have the
money to afford it. Lower end AMD solutions are nice if you
are on a budget. PCI Express video and DDR2 RAM are now
mainstream components. DDR2 RAM is more expensive than it
should be - if you can afford to wait, it will be cheaper
within the next year or so.

Paul
Old October 19th 06, 09:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Il MeRoViNgIo wrote:

Hy i'm going to a electronic exopo at the end of the month and i was
thinking about having another computer.
CAn you tell me the ebst hardware i can buy?
AMD or INTEL for the processor??
Thanx!!

Maybe Intel's new 80 core cpu? Not cheap though. In fact you'd have to
hire an armed gang to get it.

NT