flashing bios

Old September 29th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
emekadavid

Default flashing bios

i think i have a bios problem with my computer after trend anti-virus
showed me a boot sector virus alert. i want to flash the bios and went
to the mainboard manucfacturer's website and download the file but on
unzipping it, i discovered there was no instruction in it for doing so,
i.e flashing but instead found only one file with .rom extension.
how do i resolve this issue?
thanks
david

Old September 29th 06, 03:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"emekadavid" wrote in message
ups.com...
i think i have a bios problem with my computer after trend anti-virus
showed me a boot sector virus alert. i want to flash the bios and went
to the mainboard manucfacturer's website and download the file but on
unzipping it, i discovered there was no instruction in it for doing so,
i.e flashing but instead found only one file with .rom extension.
how do i resolve this issue?
thanks
david

First, if you've got a boot sector virus, why would you flash the BIOS?
That's like a heart transplant to solve a broken leg.

The latest BIOS firmware is usually saved to a single file, often with a
"ROM" extension. But you need to create a bootable dos floppy disk and
install a BIOS flashing program (also downloaded from the manufacturer of
your mainboard) on it, in order to write the data to the BIOS chip.

But if you've got a boot sector virus, you're still going to have a boot
sector virus after flashing your BIOS chip. Oh, and you risk damaging your
mainboard by doing so. -Dave

Old September 30th 06, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Waka

Peter wrote:
In article . com,
says...
i think i have a bios problem with my computer after trend anti-virus
showed me a boot sector virus alert. i want to flash the bios and went
to the mainboard manucfacturer's website and download the file but on
unzipping it, i discovered there was no instruction in it for doing so,
i.e flashing but instead found only one file with .rom extension.
how do i resolve this issue?
thanks
david

As Dave/Mike T has stated, your problem is with your HD and not your
BIOS. You will need to fix that. Which O/S are you running? If XP and
you have XP cd then you should be able to boot from it and press R to
allow you to get into the XP 'Recovery Console'. You will need an admin
password to get access to your drive though, but once in there I would
hope that to fix this you just need to type:

Fixmbr [ENTER]
Fixboot [ENTER]

If win98 the boot from a bootable floppy and type

fdisk /mbr

After this you will then obviously need to deal with whatever put that
virus there in the first place, but that's another story.

--
Pete Ives

sorry, i didn't state the problem properly. i've already removed the
boot virus but discovered my bios *must* be corrupted because it
refused to register the vga driver and lan drivers that came with the
system board. i've also fixed that. but i wanted to reset the bios
through the utility on the system board but was not successful that is
why i was thinking of flashing it. my POST gives funny messages. i have
the flashing executable on my system cd and found a .rom file on the
manc. website, does it mean i'd run the .rom file using the executable?
the virus was the cause of the problem but has been fixed.
TIA

Old September 30th 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

sorry, i didn't state the problem properly. i've already removed the
boot virus but discovered my bios *must* be corrupted because it
refused to register the vga driver and lan drivers that came with the
system board. i've also fixed that. but i wanted to reset the bios
through the utility on the system board but was not successful that is
why i was thinking of flashing it. my POST gives funny messages. i have
the flashing executable on my system cd and found a .rom file on the
manc. website, does it mean i'd run the .rom file using the executable?
the virus was the cause of the problem but has been fixed.
TIA

Ummmm, try removing the CMOS battery and shorting the clear_CMOS jumper for
about 15 minutes, and then put the jumper and battery back where they
belong. -Dave

Old October 2nd 06, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
emekadavid

Dave wrote:
sorry, i didn't state the problem properly. i've already removed the
boot virus but discovered my bios *must* be corrupted because it
refused to register the vga driver and lan drivers that came with the
system board. i've also fixed that. but i wanted to reset the bios
through the utility on the system board but was not successful that is
why i was thinking of flashing it. my POST gives funny messages. i have
the flashing executable on my system cd and found a .rom file on the
manc. website, does it mean i'd run the .rom file using the executable?
the virus was the cause of the problem but has been fixed.
TIA

Ummmm, try removing the CMOS battery and shorting the clear_CMOS jumper for
about 15 minutes, and then put the jumper and battery back where they
belong. -Dave

cleared cmos centuries ago. twice.

P3V133 cmos error [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 3 March 22nd 06 10:19 PM
Award Boot Block BIOS rom checksum error Flip General 10 January 29th 06 05:30 AM
IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data MC General 21 December 5th 04 05:38 AM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM