Alternatives to Norton Internet Security (HELP!)

Old September 21st 04, 09:34 PM
Johnny Canuck

Default Alternatives to Norton Internet Security (HELP!)

Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet security for a couple of
years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!

I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features below
like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or antivirus
software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm for firewall,
Norton's for antivirus).

QUESTION:
If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can fufill the
needs below the way I specified please let me know.

One thing I did like about Norton Internet Security is that it had some
useful features such as:
1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
3) Allows me to block any activeX stuff from running, accept on trusted
sites.
4) Optionally, to allow me to surf anonomously

In particular, I loved 2 features of Norton Internet Security.
a) The way NIS prompted you if you want to always accept a cookie
from a certain site or block it.
That way I could choose which sites are the "trusted" sites and
which sites all cookies should be blocked from.
b) As well, Norton Internet Securirity allowed you to export or
import settings in case you do a reinstall or put in a new version, etc.,
that way you don't have to redo any of your cookie overides. Being able to
do this import or export of settings is a bonus since If I had to reinstall
Windows it would be a bit of a chore to add the "trusted sites" again and
makes managing multiple computers a lot easier.
Some programs have other optional features like that Prevents personal data
from leaving your computer without permission.(i.e. Protects my privacy &
Prevents confidential information from being sent out without your knowledge
in email, instant messages, Microsoft® Office attachments, and Web forms,
but I don't have to have this latter feature.

I'd prefer a free program BUT my most important requirement is that the
program needs to work WELL (like the current software I use that is listed
below) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought about
Norton Internet Security, but I prefer ZoneAlarm firewall to their own
firewall software and I don't like the fact that it is so hard to prevent
Norton Internet Security from installing the antivirus as well.

I use Spybot (search and destroy) to look for spyware (after the fact.)

Thanks

JC

Old September 21st 04, 11:16 PM
Vanguardx

"Johnny Canuck"
wrote in news:Hf04d.30513$yW6.15965@clgrps12:
[...]

PopUpCop (http://www.popupcop.com/). Much better popup control. Cookie
whitelisting which forces non-whitelisted cookies to be per-session
cookies (so web sites that need them still function). AX blocking
(w/prompt if selected). 30-day trial (full version, not crippled), and
licensing is generous. PopUpCop only works with Internet Explorer. I'm
sure that someone will pop in saying you should switch to Mozilla
because it can block popups. I haven't tested Mozilla to know if it
covers all popup methods and has equal or better cookie management than
PopUpCop.

4) Optionally, to allow me to surf anonomously

You can't do that with a local client unless it connects somewhere else
to use that proxy to forward your connection (the target host knows the
IP address of the source host that connects to it). Anonymizer.com,
URLencoded.com (no SSL), Tenebril GhostSurf, etc. I haven't done much
investigating in this area since I don't navigate to anywhere that I'm
afraid of them knowing who I am (which is just my IP address so they'd
have to go through my ISP to get my details). The only time that I've
use an anonymous proxy (actually all it needed to be was a public proxy)
was to reach a site that was unreachable through the path currently
available through the routers (routing isn't dynamic). I could, for
example, not reach www.creative.com from my ISP but I could reach a
public proxy from my ISP and that public proxy through a different route
could reach Creative's web site (this let me isolate and report their
defective edge host). You just need to configure IE to use a proxy.
But then it is a public proxy so its availability is flaky (it may not
be up, it may be too busy, or it might just disappear altogether) and
that proxy can still record where you go (and why some maniacs will
chain together three or more public proxies). I'm sure a Google search
on "free public proxy" will turn up some lists for you, like the list at
http://www.proxy4free.com/.

In particular, I loved 2 features of Norton Internet Security.
a) The way NIS prompted you if you want to always accept a
cookie from a certain site or block it.
That way I could choose which sites are the "trusted" sites and
which sites all cookies should be blocked from.

For me, NIS 2003 is configured to always allow cookies since I use
PopUpCop for cookie management (and why I also disable NIS' popup
blocking). I wasn't aware that NIS actually kept a record of which
domains you said Yes to allow the cookie encountered at that time
(unless maybe it records it in the Allow/Block list in IE). You didn't
mention what version of NIS that you use. You can specify allow/block
domains in IE under Tools - Internet Options - Privacy - Edit (or
Sites). In fact, if you use SpywareBlaster and use its bad-domain
cookie list (I don't since I prefer the much more easy to manage
PopUpCop whitelist), it adds those domains under this list as Always
Block.

Even when using NIS, PopUpCop, and/or SpywareBlaster, you probably
should configure cookie management in IE to allow 1st party cookies,
block 3rd party cookies, and allow per-session cookies (those are
*supposed* to get deleted when you exit IE but sometimes the do not -
unless you use PopUpCop to enforce cookie whitelisting).

With PopUpCop's cookie whitelisting, you can ignore (not delete) cookies
that in your Trusted Sites security zone. PopUpCop can override any
setting for Always Block/Allow (noted next) but has an option to obey
those settings.

PopUpCop only loads when IE loads so it doesn't constantly consume
resources when they aren't needed (if you're not browsing, you don't
need popup and cookie control), unlike other cookie managers that always
run as a background application.

b) As well, Norton Internet Securirity allowed you to export or
import settings in case you do a reinstall or put in a new version,
etc., that way you don't have to redo any of your cookie overides.
Being able to do this import or export of settings is a bonus since
If I had to reinstall Windows it would be a bit of a chore to add the
"trusted sites" again and makes managing multiple computers a lot
easier.

The IE cookie list is in the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\P3P\History

The value specifies whether that domain is blocked or allowed. Just
export that key from regedit. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=182569. Also, an easy way to find
these registry keys is to just enter some probably unique string and
then search for it in the registry, like adding "wowserbowser.invalid"
as a cookie domain or trusted site and then go hunt for it in the
registry. That's how I found the registry key for the domains listed in
the security zones, which was:

HKEY_USERS\yourSID\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cu rrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

where yourSID is the security identifier assigned to your account.
You can find it listed under:

NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Look for the one that has your %userprofile% path listed as the
ProfileImagePath data item.

Some programs have other optional features like that Prevents
personal data from leaving your computer without permission.(i.e.
Protects my privacy & Prevents confidential information from being
sent out without your knowledge in email, instant messages,
Microsoft® Office attachments, and Web forms, but I don't have to
have this latter feature.
I'd prefer a free program BUT my most important requirement is that
the program needs to work WELL (like the current software I use that
is listed below) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I
thought about Norton Internet Security, but I prefer ZoneAlarm
firewall to their own firewall software and I don't like the fact
that it is so hard to prevent Norton Internet Security from
installing the antivirus as well.

What's so hard about unchecking a checkbox during the install? The NIS
install stops on a screen asking if you want to include NAV, shows a
checkbox (that is checked), and all you have to do is uncheck it and
continue the installation. However, you CANNOT install NAV separately
of NIS. NAV is included as an integrated component of NIS (i.e., you
are not getting a separate license or copy of NAV that is merely
packaged in with NIS).

I use Spybot (search and destroy) to look for spyware (after the
fact.)

You might want to enable the "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses
in Internet Explorer" option (with the selection to prompt you when a
block occurs) in Spybot 1.3.

Old September 21st 04, 11:57 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:34:47 GMT Humanity I love.It's just people who
**** me off ;-) "Johnny Canuck" wrote :

Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet security for a couple of
years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!

I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features below
like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or antivirus
software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm for firewall,
Norton's for antivirus).

QUESTION:
If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can fufill the
needs below the way I specified please let me know.

One thing I did like about Norton Internet Security is that it had some
useful features such as:
1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)

http://www.panicware.com/product_downloads.html

2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.

as above

3) Allows me to block any activeX stuff from running, accept on trusted
sites.

4) Optionally, to allow me to surf anonomously

http://www.OffByOne.com/ob1_download.htm
Less than 1 meg stand alone browser :P

Note:ALL Norton's software is **** except for,"Ghost" which used to be
good but now is iffy.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old September 22nd 04, 12:57 AM
Johnny Canuck

Note:ALL Norton's software is **** except for,"Ghost" which used to be
good but now is iffy.

If I am going to switch browser's, I'd go to Mozilla, I just like the way IE
handles favourites so I can easily back them up. Plus, its easy to manage
them in a Windows Explorer view.

I had a bad exerience when i changed over from netscape and a lot of my old
bookmark's just didn't look the same and I seemed to have some lost.

BTW, geuss you would be an advocate that AVG is the best antivirus, better
than Norton's 2005 or Symantec AntiVirus Corp?

Thank you for the info.

JC

Old September 22nd 04, 01:02 AM
Johnny Canuck

vanguard, that was one AWESOME reply thank you for the detail. Your message
is being saved for future reference, particular regarding anonymous
browsing.

Anonymous browsing ain't too big an issue right now, but cookies (And cookie
management), popups, and active X stuff is my main concern.
I don't mind manually creating a cookie whitelist with the program, in fact,
I prefer it to ensure which websites can't leave cookies and which can one
by one. With NIS some cookies seem to get by, and sometimes when you give
permission the sites don't work either.

Kind of weird that PopUpCop doesn't have an export or import feature since
one would think that was key for administering across multiple systems or
for reinstalls, but that's ok I don't mind manually setting it up the first
time.

Thanks for the recomendation, I'll give it a go on my next day off (friday)
but for now, I'll follow the thread and see what others think.

Thank you Vanguard.

JC

news

Old September 22nd 04, 04:21 AM
Vanguardx

"Johnny Canuck"
wrote in news:vd34d.30533$yW6.6064@clgrps12:
Note:ALL Norton's software is **** except for,"Ghost" which used to
be good but now is iffy.

If I am going to switch browser's, I'd go to Mozilla, I just like the
way IE handles favourites so I can easily back them up. Plus, its
easy to manage them in a Windows Explorer view.

I had a bad exerience when i changed over from netscape and a lot of
my old bookmark's just didn't look the same and I seemed to have some
lost.
BTW, geuss you would be an advocate that AVG is the best antivirus,
better than Norton's 2005 or Symantec AntiVirus Corp?

Thank you for the info.

JC

You might want to visit
http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/a...s/products.xml. Grisoft's AVG
doesn't fare too well regarding *consistentency* in catching viruses (5
passes, 20 fails for a 75% failure rate - not good).

Don't bother with "works for me" responses. Saying that I've used NAV
on 57 hosts (and ditched McAfee because of detection failures) is still
just my experience and only represents a limited exposure to viruses.
There are also comparisons at
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/comparatives.html but AVG isn't
included. They all seem to vary wildly between themselves and even
within a product over time regarding success at catching trojans but I
don't know if adding TDS-3 (soon to be TDS-4) would cover that
deficiency or irregularity.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:23 AM
Vanguardx

"Johnny Canuck"
wrote in news:di34d.30534$yW6.19447@clgrps12:
[...]

Currently I have only 8 domains listed for cookie whitelisting.
Remember that those domains in the Trusted Sites security zone will have
their cookies saved (if you enable the option in PopUpCop to ignore
cookies in the Trusted zone which, I believe, is on by default). I have
5 sites listed in my Trusted Sites zone, so there are only 13 domains
for whom cookies will be kept if they use one. I like the whitelisting
concept because it does NOT block cookies when you are in a browser
session with a site. Many will use cookies for correct operation of
their web site. So you let the site save its permanent cookie but it
will get purged on exiting IE so all permanent cookies are forced to be
per-session cookies. Note that cookie whitelisting can only be applied
when the LAST instance of IE gets closed; that is, if you have one
instance of IE left running then those cookies will linger, but when you
finally close the last instance of IE then only the whitelisted cookies
(that are permanent cookies) will be kept.

I haven't checked on how settings in PopUpCop could be exported. There
might be a way. Sounds like a good suggestion to the author which I'll
submit. One of the things that ****ed me off about NIS is that you
cannot export its rules and settings. At one time, back in version 2002
and earlier, you could export the registry keys holding those values.
Symantec decided to hash those registry keys (both their name and their
values) to prevent malicious code from altering them without detection,
and the hash is different on different installs and might even change
during use, so exporting them is a waste of time.

For PopUpCop, there are some settings that could be saved by exporting
the registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PopupCop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PopUpCop

However, those didn't contain the cookie whitelist. Exporting registry
keys is doable but a menu selection to Export/Import Settings would be
preferrable, so I'll suggest that to the author.

There are lots of "little" features that I keep discovering in PopUpCop.
Ever right-click on a web page and select View Source? Well, all you
get is the source code for the frame you are currently in when you
right-clicked. PopUpCop can show you the source for all frames. You
can enable/disable the NT Messenger Service (although that can be done
by using the Services applet). It has irritation levels (i.e., filter
profiles) you can define to regulate how much you throttle a web site,
but I have repeatedly asked for a whitelist and blacklist so you can
assign an irritation level to a web site (just like you can assign a
whitelisting action to a domain for cookies). Still waiting on that
request, however.

By the way, PopUpCop has its ActiveX Guard to block or prompt download
of AX content (so you don't have to disable it completely). That has a
whitelist and blacklist so you don't have to keep answering prompts for
frequently visited sites. SpywareGuard also provides some AX
protection, and I use that, too, although the double prompts can be a
nuisance so eventually I'll just pick one or the other for AX protection
(and PopUpCop gives me white/blacklists so I'll probably go with that).

Many times I try to find freebie programs but which are excellent.
Eraser is a good security tool for completely wiping a file or drive.
SpamPal is excellent, along with its plug-ins, for spam filtering. But
I couldn't find anything but crippled trialware versions of popup
blockers or they just didn't have all the features of PopUpCop. I have
no recollection how I found out about PopUpCop other than it was
probably through a Google search. I tested it right up to the end of
trial period while testing other solutions before I decided to fork out
the $20 for it.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:48 AM
Vanguardx

"Jon Danniken"
wrote in :
"Johnny Canuck" wrote:
QUESTION:
If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can
fufill the needs below the way I specified please let me know.

One thing I did like about Norton Internet Security is that it had
some useful features such as:
1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
3) Allows me to block any activeX stuff from running, accept on
trusted sites.

Zone Alarm Pro.

Jon

So, if you visit a popup test site, like http://www.popuptest.com/, how
many tests does ZoneAlarm *Pro* (not the freebie) pass? PopUpCop passed
every test, and I didn't even have it on the high settings (although
although I did have to get more aggressive on one test than I care for),
and even passed the good popups test. Know of any better sites to test
popup blocking? I'd like to hit those (and report any failures to the
author).

Does ZoneAlarm Pro *ignore* any links in the Links folder (shown as the
Links toolbar in IE) to allow them to use Javascript to open popups?
Other popup blockers would typically kill any popups opened using
Javascript from YOUR shortcuts saved in the Links folder. For example,
rather than lose the registration page that I am currently on, I want to
open another browser window to Sneakemail to create an alias for that
registration, so I have
"javascript:void(win=window.open('http://sneakemail.com:80','Sneakemail','width=510,height= 640,resizable=0,scrollbars=yes,menubar=no,status=y es'))"
as a shortcut in my Links toolbar. With PopUpCop, clicking that Links
shortcut does open a popup windows but several popup blockers that I
tested would block it.

Old September 22nd 04, 06:51 AM
Jon Danniken

"Vanguardx" wrote
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
"Johnny Canuck" wrote:
QUESTION:
If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can
fufill the needs below the way I specified please let me know.

One thing I did like about Norton Internet Security is that it had
some useful features such as:
1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
3) Allows me to block any activeX stuff from running, accept on
trusted sites.

Zone Alarm Pro.

So, if you visit a popup test site, like http://www.popuptest.com/, how
many tests does ZoneAlarm *Pro* (not the freebie) pass?

Don't know, that site comes up unavailable. ZAP works fine for my tastes, though.

Does ZoneAlarm Pro *ignore* any links in the Links folder

I don't use the links folder, so I don't know.

Jon

Norton Ghost 2003 Scottie General 8 September 22nd 04 12:21 AM
Problems with AOLconnecting to internet Midnight Moocher General 0 September 11th 04 12:59 PM
Wireless Internet access Mary General 3 July 26th 04 05:58 PM
FTP attempts causes Internet Connection loss Mattrixx General 3 December 3rd 03 04:42 PM
What DVD format works with Norton Ghost 2003? van General 1 October 12th 03 07:40 PM