Another Ghost 2003 question - Simple

Old July 29th 04, 03:24 PM
Tom Jackson

Default Another Ghost 2003 question - Simple

I'm brand new to Ghost 2003 and after a successful clone on my brothers
computer (bigger hard drive) I thought it would make a good backup for
my new Win2K machine. What I want to do sounds simple but fails. This
machine is tied to a router/switcher along with a FreeBSD server and
another smp FreeBSD/Win98 box. My only cd burner is at the server. I have
created spanned image files of the boot partition to another partition on
the Win2K box and ftp'd those to the server. Used mkisofs to create a iso
file of each image file and burned to both a cdr and a cdrw. Problem is, back
at the 2000 box, Ghost says the files were not created by Ghost. Does any kind
soul know a solution to this or am I p...... against the tide?

Thanks for reading this,

Tom
Old July 29th 04, 11:03 PM
peterfoxghost

In what words did you ask Ghost to use image files?
If you write them down for us, we might be able to help you.

Boot with DOS floppy and CDROM support. Can you see your files on CDROM by
typing DIR D: (if D: is your CDROM drive)?
Then, use GHOST.EXE and restore your drive using files stored on D: drive
and not CDROM.

But, why don't you just image and restore directly from your server network
share? It is a waste of time using second partition, ftp-ing, burning,
reading from multiple CDs etc...
And btw, DVDs are much more economical than CD-R(W) disks nowadays.

Old July 30th 04, 08:57 AM
Tom Jackson

Go to DOS Ghost with floppy, check off spanning in options, then Local-
Check-Image File. In disk image file name box, change from A: drive to
Icon for CDROM drive; following the icon says @CD-R1 LITEON CD-ROM LTN526S
CD Rom (all other options are my hd partitions and A: drive). When I click
that icon, the filename that appears is Ghost CD/DVD Image. I click
open, it shows a Error accessing CD/DVD disk (1972). In the box: This disc
was not created by Norton Ghost. Retry button nada and cancel gives yet
another box, the Error box with Error accessing file, please check media
and retry (566). I can check all image files still on hd okay.

On 2004-07-29, peterfoxghost wrote:
In what words did you ask Ghost to use image files?
If you write them down for us, we might be able to help you.

Boot with DOS floppy and CDROM support. Can you see your files on CDROM by
typing DIR D: (if D: is your CDROM drive)?
Then, use GHOST.EXE and restore your drive using files stored on D: drive
and not CDROM.

But, why don't you just image and restore directly from your server network
share? It is a waste of time using second partition, ftp-ing, burning,
reading from multiple CDs etc...
And btw, DVDs are much more economical than CD-R(W) disks nowadays.

I don't know how I could interact with my FreeBSD server from a Win2K
box. Could run Samba on the server but rather not. Can you explain what
you had in mind. Believe me, I don't relish all the mechanics of getting
that cdr/cdrw back to the win2k box. I have plans for a dvd burner but
spanning several (4) disc is no problem.

I hope I have been clear about this. Really don't want to buy a burner for
the win2k box, but I may have to. I appreciate the help

Tom

Old July 30th 04, 11:47 AM
peterfoxghost

Thank you for posting your conversation with Ghost.
Yes, that confirms what I thought. You should not check via @CD-R1 but using
a drive letter assigned from CDROM driver in config.sys and MSCDEX in
autoexec.bat. The reason is @CD-R mode is only for CDs written directly by
Ghost (packet written in proprietary mode). Thus it fails.

Old July 30th 04, 04:30 PM
Tom Jackson

No, thank you for taking the time to help me get this working. Indeed after
making the 2 floppy boot set, the cdrom drive showed as the C: drive and all
works. I'll be checking this newsgroup from now on

Thanks again Peter,

Tom

Norton Ghost 2003 Scottie General 8 September 22nd 04 12:21 AM
Help: Recovery of Norton Ghost 2003 disk image with one missing .GHS file Alex Storage (alternative) 3 May 15th 04 11:36 PM
Can't See New HD After Cloning with Ghost 2003 Nehmo Sergheyev General 15 March 27th 04 09:15 PM
What DVD format works with Norton Ghost 2003? van General 1 October 12th 03 07:40 PM
Rediculously Simple Question Jeremy General 11 August 11th 03 03:49 AM