Question Norton Ghost

Old February 3rd 04, 02:40 AM
Gus

Default Question Norton Ghost

I have a Dim 4550 (new 03/2003), Win XP Pro, and am having a problem
cloning my C: drive with Ghost 2003. I'm cloning to an external USB2
HDD. Ghost proceeds normally thru the Windows phase, but hangs in DOS.
The last thing on the monitor is the following message:

"IOMEGA ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0 V.13 09 MAY 2003 COPYRIGHT 2003 IOMEGA CORP"

Seems to hanging in the USB2 driver and I can't figure any way to shake
it loose. Many people here use Ghost so I'm hoping to get some useful
advice. I couldn't find much at the Symantec site, but have tried
different USB ports based on info from there.

My 4550 has 1 GB of RAM and over 100 GB of free space on C: & D: (2 HDDs).

I have no other problems with the USB2 external HDD, BTW. I copy some
other files using Explorer, etc.

TIA

Old February 3rd 04, 03:10 AM
Joan Hansen

Cloning to or from an external device
Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 support USB 1.1 and USB 2
connections for cloning operations that work with an external storage
device. Norton Ghost 2002, Symantec Ghost 7.5, and earlier Ghost
versions do not support cloning over a USB connection to an external
storage device.

For this type of cloning operation, use Symantec Ghost 8.0 or Norton
Ghost 2003 and a Ghost Virtual Partition or the Ghost "USB Devices"
bootable floppy disk. The option "USB Devices" is available only in the
Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 versions of the Ghost Boot Wizard.

Note: Some problems using USB and Firewire in Norton Ghost 2003 were
resolved in the November 1 2002 update to Ghost. To prevent these
problems, run LiveUpdate to update Norton Ghost 2003 to the latest
version. See the document Updates to Norton Ghost 2003. These problems
are not present in Symantec Ghost 8.0.

I also read where they have not tested USB Devices, so some may not work.

Maybe the above will help. I only use Ghost to image to another
internal hard drive. This way I always have a current back up drive.

Joan

Old February 3rd 04, 10:19 PM
~~Alan~~

If either the USB device or the USB port is v1, you have to use the ghost v1
drivers, else use the v2 drivers.

~Alan

Old February 5th 04, 02:04 PM
Gus

~~Alan~~ wrote:
If either the USB device or the USB port is v1, you have to use the ghost v1
drivers, else use the v2 drivers.

Thanks for the feedback. Both the device (external enclosure) & port
(back of Dim 4550 tower) are USB2.

The secret was which USB port I used and my Belkin 4-port USB hub. If
the Belkin hub is plugged in, Ghost fails accessing the USB2 external
HDD. Also, I learned from trial & error that Ghost is also sensitive to
which USB port on the back of my 4550 I use - I need to use the upper
left port as I'm facing the front of my 4550. The only hard info I could
find on Symantec's site said something about how Ghost didn't support
USB devices on hubs and that some USB ports are hubs in real life
depending on the motherboard (BIOS, I guess), which is why I tried
various USB ports.

"This was a real melon scratcher"

Ned Flanders.

norton ghost news.new Cdr 9 January 19th 05 05:50 AM
Alternatives to Norton Internet Security (HELP!) Johnny Canuck General 14 September 24th 04 01:56 AM
Norton Ghost 2002 what went wrong fff Homebuilt PC's 0 June 28th 04 03:45 AM
Ghost 2003 OEM version for Dummies Steve P Homebuilt PC's 22 November 18th 03 01:48 AM
Norton Ghost - Instantly Makes SATA Raid unbootable? EFK Gigabyte Motherboards 3 September 9th 03 08:22 PM