Ghost backup question

Old October 9th 03, 05:19 PM
Steve

Default Ghost backup question

If I use Ghost to image an XP partition, can I then restore the image
to a different HD? Will XP's activation balk at this? Any other
issues if the hard drives are not the same, as in restoring to a
different PC or from a laptop to a desktop PC?

Old October 9th 03, 05:24 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Steve" wrote in message
news
If I use Ghost to image an XP partition, can I then restore the image
to a different HD? Will XP's activation balk at this? Any other
issues if the hard drives are not the same, as in restoring to a
different PC or from a laptop to a desktop PC?

Most likely you'll have a problem. XP Activation keys on 10 pieces of
hardware and the trigger is weighted higher for certain parts than others.
Hard drives and motherboards almost always trigger a reactivation.

--

Rob

Old October 9th 03, 05:50 PM
HH

Only the fact that your licenses for the OS/software are only for one
machine. Having them on more than one is software piracy.
HH

news

Old October 9th 03, 06:00 PM
Steve

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:
If I use Ghost to image an XP partition, can I then restore the image
to a different HD? Will XP's activation balk at this? Any other
issues if the hard drives are not the same, as in restoring to a
different PC or from a laptop to a desktop PC?

Most likely you'll have a problem. XP Activation keys on 10 pieces of
hardware and the trigger is weighted higher for certain parts than others.
Hard drives and motherboards almost always trigger a reactivation.

Sounds like Ghost can't be used to restore to a new HD if the original
one craps out?

Old October 9th 03, 06:03 PM
Steve

"HH" wrote:
If I use Ghost to image an XP partition, can I then restore the image
to a different HD? Will XP's activation balk at this? Any other
issues if the hard drives are not the same, as in restoring to a
different PC or from a laptop to a desktop PC?

Only the fact that your licenses for the OS/software are only for one
machine. Having them on more than one is software piracy.

This is to transfer from one PC to another, XP has been purchased for
both.
Old October 9th 03, 06:25 PM
HH

Huh? If XP was purchased for both PCs, why not install it?
Also, Bob is correct. But on a new HD on the same PC, it's OK.
HH

Old October 9th 03, 06:28 PM
Steve

"HH" wrote:
If I use Ghost to image an XP partition, can I then restore the image
to a different HD? Will XP's activation balk at this? Any other
issues if the hard drives are not the same, as in restoring to a
different PC or from a laptop to a desktop PC?

Only the fact that your licenses for the OS/software are only for one
machine. Having them on more than one is software piracy.

This is to transfer from one PC to another, XP has been purchased for
both.

Huh? If XP was purchased for both PCs, why not install it?

Because it would save so much time if I could just restore the image
and not have to install any software.

Old October 9th 03, 06:38 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Steve" wrote in message
news
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:
If I use Ghost to image an XP partition, can I then restore the image
to a different HD? Will XP's activation balk at this? Any other
issues if the hard drives are not the same, as in restoring to a
different PC or from a laptop to a desktop PC?

Most likely you'll have a problem. XP Activation keys on 10 pieces of
hardware and the trigger is weighted higher for certain parts than

others.
Hard drives and motherboards almost always trigger a reactivation.

Sounds like Ghost can't be used to restore to a new HD if the original
one craps out?

No it actually can. what is necessary is for you to follow the activation
process again and then when asked to activate via phone or internet choose
phone. You'll be given a phone number and once you explain what you are
doing they will give you a very large number that you enter to reactivate
XP. It's not all that bad of a process. I suspect that if you try to do
this several time in a short period of time they'll give you a hard time,
but hardware failures don't happen all that often.

--

Rob

Old October 9th 03, 06:52 PM
HH

I don't think it will work on a different machine nonetheless, for the
reasons Bob listed. Did you purchase the applications for the new machine as
well? If not the piracy issue is in play.

HH

Old October 9th 03, 09:11 PM
Steve

"HH" wrote:
Huh? If XP was purchased for both PCs, why not install it?

Because it would save so much time if I could just restore the image
and not have to install any software.

I don't think it will work on a different machine nonetheless, for the
reasons Bob listed. Did you purchase the applications for the new machine as
well? If not the piracy issue is in play.

Why, if I'm only going to be using one machine?

Wonder if this is an argument to install two identical hard drives, so
that if one craps out, you can restore the image to the other?